• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

QUESTION...Should I....?

Since I am trying to go from root to legit, I have been following the post from above. After following the instructions for steps 1 to 3, I was using the instructions with links as quoted below. It specifically states to use the RC29 IMG Pre-Root in step 4. If this is not correct, then I will try again and skip the RC29 IMG Pre-Root step.

In Your previous post it was not clear that you were trying to go back to a legit phone.

It looks like you are using the Correct Guide for going from ROOt 2 LEGIT but... just is case here is the link http://androidforums.com/updates-cupcakes/5084-question-should-i.html#post32671

THIS ASSUMES YOU HAVE A WORKING ROOT VERSION INSTALLED ...

Then yes the Builds RC29, RC30, RC33 you would use Step 4 for each build. The Last builds are ALL of course unmodified LEGIT ROMs to accomplish the LEGIT end config.... Radios goes back to RC33-Version if you had installed Cupcake 1.5 radios by using Step 5...

Upvote 0
In Your previous post it was not clear that you were trying to go back to a legit phone.

It looks like you are using the Correct Guide for going from ROOt 2 LEGIT but... just is case here is the link http://androidforums.com/updates-cupcakes/5084-question-should-i.html#post32671

THIS ASSUMES YOU HAVE A WORKING ROOT VERSION INSTALLED ...

Then yes the Builds RC29, RC30, RC33 you would use Step 4 for each build. The Last builds are ALL of course unmodified LEGIT ROMs to accomplish the LEGIT end config.... Radios goes back to RC33-Version if you had installed Cupcake 1.5 radios by using Step 5...

Sorry that I was not clear that I was trying to un-root the phone. I have been following the instructions, but I keep getting the error that it cannot verify the RC29 file. Is there something else that I am missing or am I just screwed?

Upvote 0
Sorry that I was not clear that I was trying to un-root the phone. I have been following the instructions, but I keep getting the error that it cannot verify the RC29 file. Is there something else that I am missing or am I just screwed?

This should get things back in order ....

Try doing the ROOT procedure ... Again until you are back at a stable ROOTED phone ...

Then Do the UN-ROOT ...

Let me know ...

Upvote 0
This should get things back in order ....

Try doing the ROOT procedure ... Again until you are back at a stable ROOTED phone ...

Then Do the UN-ROOT ...

Let me know ...

I completed the root procedure (steps 1 - 5) at http://androidforums.com/updates-cupcakes/5006-g1-t-mobile-total-newbie-help.html#post32119

I verified that the phone was working correctly and was rooted.

I started the procedure for un-rooting the phone using the above link. I was able to perform steps 1 - 3 without a problem, but as soon as I try to install the RC29 IMG pre-Root zip file (renamed update.zip) I get the error messages:
E:No signature (1 files)
E:Verification failed
Installation aborted.

I skipped that file and was able to install up to RC33, but when I try to install the radios I get the verification failed. I noted that at the end of the RC33 install process, it said that it installed radios, so I tried to install the original boot loader, but again I received a verification failure.

Upvote 0
Why can't I find this guide? I see a guide to root, but can't find step by step instructions to go legit??

Am I just missing it?

YES ... you are missing it ... It is the same Guide you just need to follow the Numbered steps using the reference files ... in the UN-ROOT Thread ..

================================================== ============
THIS GUIDE ASSUMES YOU ARE STARTING FROM A WORKING ROOTED VERSION
================================================== ============

EDIT: Here are the files you will need To Go From : Root to Legit RC33 build 1.1

GUIDE : >>> Follow the procedures on this forum : G1 t-mobile total newbie HELP

Used the following files instead and in this order :

Upvote 0
Why can't I find this guide? I see a guide to root, but can't find step by step instructions to go legit??

Am I just missing it?

I spent a long time trying to figure it all out too. IMHO the confusion is because he has the word "update", rooting instructions and legit mixed into one post, so the instructions not clear. Also, he has his instructions in his signature that makes it a circular path where one keeps going back to the same spot. Probably a thread that only deals with going back to legit would be better.

Hats off to the effort, but I think a step by step in simple terms for people like me would help.

I'll come up with a step by step to go back to legit. Will post it on YouTube sometime next week.

Upvote 0
I spent a long time trying to figure it all out too. IMHO the confusion is because he has the word "update", rooting instructions and legit mixed into one post, so the instructions not clear. Also, he has his instructions in his signature that makes it a circular path where one keeps going back to the same spot. Probably a thread that only deals with going back to legit would be better.

Hats off to the effort, but I think a step by step in simple terms for people like me would help.

I'll come up with a step by step to go back to legit. Will post it on YouTube sometime next week.

I think I understand, I have a couple of questions though.

In step two, what recovery_testkeys.img file do I need to use, and do I need to do anything in telnet? I suppose I don't completely understand the process and what exactly I'm doing here.

Thanks for the help guys...

Upvote 0
I think I understand, I have a couple of questions though.

In step two, what recovery_testkeys.img file do I need to use, and do I need to do anything in telnet? I suppose I don't completely understand the process and what exactly I'm doing here.

Thanks for the help guys...

this is the one you need and was a link in the quide ....

recovery_testkeys.img
The modified recovery image/test keys.

Upvote 0
So I loaded the bootloader. That went fine. But when I tried to load rc30 I got an error (E:No signature (173 files)).

Any idea? Do I need to return to root and try again? God I hope not...

Edit: I tried wiping as well, to no avail.

Double Edit: I think I got it. This is seriously stressful, sorry to drag you in. LOL!

Upvote 0
So I loaded the bootloader. That went fine. But when I tried to load rc30 I got an error (E:No signature (173 files)).

Any idea? Do I need to return to root and try again? God I hope not...

Edit: I tried wiping as well, to no avail.

Double Edit: I think I got it. This is seriously stressful, sorry to drag you in. LOL!

No problem .... then after The Legit RC30 do step 4 again with the Legit RC33 and finally the RC33 Radios ...

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm still getting the no signature error.

Here's what I did.

Step one: Reverted to RC29

Step two: all the telnet crap with the modified recovery_testkeys.img

Step three: original bootloader, then the update-restore original RC29 boot image. all of that was successful.

Now at step 4, I'm trying to go to RC30, but then I get the No Signature error. Is this a problem with the update file?

Edit: What is boot_nosecure.img and what do I need to do with it?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm still getting the no signature error.

Here's what I did.

Step one: Reverted to RC29

Step two: all the telnet crap with the modified recovery_testkeys.img

Step three: original bootloader, then the update-restore original RC29 boot image. all of that was successful.

Now at step 4, I'm trying to go to RC30, but then I get the No Signature error. Is this a problem with the update file?

Edit: What is boot_nosecure.img and what do I need to do with it?

I dont know what the boot_nosecure.img is ... ???

try these links for the files ...

+++++ ========================== +++++++
Quick LIST
+++++ ========================== +++++++
OTA / Un-Root Files
- DREAIMG-RC29
- OTA RC30
- OTA RC33
- RC33 Radio
- Original G1 Bootloader
- Justjimjpc Un-Root Guide

Upvote 0
Well, after a couple hours of trying, I've officially given up. I've re-rooted and flashed JF's latest 1.5 build (which is seriously awesome.) The things I was missing (voice search and latitude) have returned. So screw the OTA.

Once again, thanks to justjimjpc for his unwavering help and support. You are truly a hero among men.

Upvote 0
Well, after a couple hours of trying, I've officially given up. I've re-rooted and flashed JF's latest 1.5 build (which is seriously awesome.) The things I was missing (voice search and latitude) have returned. So screw the OTA.

Once again, thanks to justjimjpc for his unwavering help and support. You are truly a hero among men.

I was going to go back to legit, so to get the T-Mo OTA notice and download of Cupcake.

But I decided against it since JF's version is far better. It has more features and you can get his updates (with new features) in the future.

Also, keep in mind that his latest update (1.51) is the U. S. version of cupcake with his tweaks. (And MyFaves is now back, if you use that.)

If it's OTA feature that you miss, go to Market and download JFUpdater. That program automatically notifies you of any updates JF comes out with, so you can get a shot of OTA if the need arises. Matter of fact, I got his OTA notice that he had Cupcake 1.51 available for download.

Remember, JF's Cupcake is BETTER than anything that T-Mo would publish because he fixes any bugs, etc. T-Mo is far slower to issue patches and updates. I expect we won't see one for another three to five months, if at all.

So I would remain with and feel good about having JF's Cupcake installed.

Upvote 0
Installing from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...

E:No signature (1 files)
E:Verification failed Installation aborted.

Press Home+Back to reboot

Has anyone figured out what causes this? I am on Step 4 of Unrooting, going from RC29 to RC30. And I get this error. The reason I am doing this whole procedure is because I was getting this error trying to get Cupcake on my already rooted phone, so I wanted to start from square 1. Anyone know why this error occurs and what causes it? Ive reformated my SD card a million times, and reset to factory defaults. The file is named Update because im running vista and it already recognizes it as a Zip file. Ive varified through my computer that the file IS there. Any ideas?

I reformatted my SD card again. Still no dice. Looks like im stuck at RC29 for now.

Upvote 0
Has anyone figured out what causes this? I am on Step 4 of Unrooting, going from RC29 to RC30. And I get this error. The reason I am doing this whole procedure is because I was getting this error trying to get Cupcake on my already rooted phone, so I wanted to start from square 1. Anyone know why this error occurs and what causes it? Ive reformated my SD card a million times, and reset to factory defaults. The file is named Update because im running vista and it already recognizes it as a Zip file. Ive varified through my computer that the file IS there. Any ideas?

I reformatted my SD card again. Still no dice. Looks like im stuck at RC29 for now.

I you download the correct files and followed the procedure ... you should be ok ...

When you copy the update file to the sdcard .... you are in the Mounted mode for the SDCard...

The Update file name when you look at the /sdcard directory should display the file as update.zip Vista may not display the file extension ... If you right mouse the update file in the /sdcard directory the file type should show as a ZIP type and the name should be Update ... if this is not the case you may have a mis-named file that is really update.zip.zip and will not work ...

when you have RC29 running and then reboot phone into the recovery mode..

Do an ALT+W and then do the ALT+S

let us know what then happens

Upvote 0
Yep I did all that. The file is named Update and when I right click on it, Vista recognizes it as a Zip File, so that is good. In recovery mode, I do Alt+W, Alt+L (Just in case) then I do Alt+S to install the update and that's when I get the message. Ive tried the same file downloaded from different Sites, each times its named Update and it is recognized as a Zip file. Ill go a head and give it one more shot and see what happens, lol. Ill try re-formatting my SD card again using the card reader. Stand By

Yep, I get the same error. So im in RC29 right now...everything works fine. Firmware version 1.0. Everything works on my phone. I just get the error when in recovery mode trying to apply the RC30 from RC29 Update.

Upvote 0
Yep I did all that. The file is named Update and when I right click on it, Vista recognizes it as a Zip File, so that is good. In recovery mode, I do Alt+W, Alt+L (Just in case) then I do Alt+S to install the update and that's when I get the message. Ive tried the same file downloaded from different Sites, each times its named Update and it is recognized as a Zip file. Ill go a head and give it one more shot and see what happens, lol. Ill try re-formatting my SD card again using the card reader. Stand By

Yep, I get the same error. So im in RC29 right now...everything works fine. Firmware version 1.0. Everything works on my phone. I just get the error when in recovery mode trying to apply the RC30 from RC29 Update.

I think possibly the file you are using is RC29 To RC30 with would be used for Returning the phone to a Legit(Non-Rooted) phone ...
post your file link so we can verify what you are trying to use ..,.

You may have tried these files from a AF member's site ... but here is the link

this file will take you to RC33
http://jf.odiness.com/v1.42/JFv1.42_RC33.zip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones