Questions about Android

Last Updated:

1. vdn20

vdn20 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I'm planning to get an Android phone, but unfortunately I'm stuck with AT&T because I'm on a family plan, and I have some questions about it. I was planning to get the Nexus One so I don't have to deal with this, but it's too costly for me right now so I'm planning to get the Samsung Captivate.
    1) What features did AT&T remove from Android? I heard that they removed the ability to install 3rd party apps. Is there anything else?
    2) Can I install apps on the expandable memory instead of on the phone memory?
    3) What does rooting a phone do? Does it let me do everything that that AT&T removed, or is it more?
    Thanks in advance for the help

Advertisement
  2. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

we don't have at&t in the uk, but second question is no

3. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

1) What features did AT&T remove from Android? I heard that they removed the ability to install 3rd party apps. Is there anything else?

Which phone are you looking at?

2) Can I install apps on the expandable memory instead of on the phone memory?

Depending on how fast/when/if you get the 2.2 update, then yes (att has the final word if their devices get 2.2)

3) What does rooting a phone do? Does it let me do everything that that AT&T removed, or is it more?

I believe you would have to root&rom. I haven't done this, so I'm no expert

4. vdn20

I'm planning to get the Samsung Captivate. I guess my main question other than what AT&T removed is if I can install 3rd party apps and install apps on the expandable memory if the phone is rooted

5. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Im sorry, I didn't see that you actually said the captive.:eek:

6. vdn20

It's okay, you're helping me so I'm not complaining

7. sakmaster

sakmaster Active Member

1. You cannot install 3rd party apps on the Samsung Captivate, however this could be changed by rooting or a custom rom

2. Not until 2.2

3. Gives you admin access, basically allows apps like free tethering and allows you to modify you entire phone. You will have to do this to install custom roms.

8. vdn20

Thanks a lot for the answers