• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about Android

vdn20

Jul 16, 2010
Hi, I'm planning to get an Android phone, but unfortunately I'm stuck with AT&T because I'm on a family plan, and I have some questions about it. I was planning to get the Nexus One so I don't have to deal with this, but it's too costly for me right now so I'm planning to get the Samsung Captivate.
1) What features did AT&T remove from Android? I heard that they removed the ability to install 3rd party apps. Is there anything else?
2) Can I install apps on the expandable memory instead of on the phone memory?
3) What does rooting a phone do? Does it let me do everything that that AT&T removed, or is it more?
Thanks in advance for the help

1) What features did AT&T remove from Android? I heard that they removed the ability to install 3rd party apps. Is there anything else?

Which phone are you looking at?

2) Can I install apps on the expandable memory instead of on the phone memory?

Depending on how fast/when/if you get the 2.2 update, then yes (att has the final word if their devices get 2.2)

3) What does rooting a phone do? Does it let me do everything that that AT&T removed, or is it more?

I believe you would have to root&rom. I haven't done this, so I'm no expert

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones