• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Quick questions and few comments on Vibrant

HadouGhost

Android Expert
Feb 14, 2010
Just recieved my vibrant this morning, its so awesome, dare i say, Iphone killer?

Anyway i have a few comments and some questions as well.

Question 1. This is the first super smart phone (1ghz) i've used. is a task killer still necessary or atleast good to have? Furthermore, were they ever?

Question 2. Is there a way to prefent the keys on the bottom of the phone from lighting up when in a game or application?

Question 3. What class SD card should i get for this phone? Ill definately be doing pictures,video, and games. (im guessing no less than 4)

Question 4. apps to SD, do i have to root?

___

Now for my comments

Comment 1. I have not had any problem with my keys on the bottom being unresponsive.

Comment 2. I have not had a problem with the GPS or navigation. It found my location to 15feet within 10 seconds, I was connected to 2 - 4 sats judging by the gps app.

Comment 3. Awesome phone.

Comment 4. We had better get 2.2 and 3.0 and beyond.

1. OMG no no no NO Sorry I just see this question day in and day out. The idea of a task killer is from the windows world. Thats not to say there is never a need to kill an application. I would say that has only happened when I've encountered a sever bug or its alpha/beta software that I need to kill because its misbehaving. Read this thread, lots of good info
http://androidforums.com/samsung-vibrant/138944-how-save-power.html

2. Simple. No.

3. That is still something I'm not sure of. Anyone else? I remember reading Android or maybe just this phone, doesnt support SDHC, which are the really fast cards, typically ment to be used in digital cameras. But dont take my word for it on this topic.

4. Yes

1. Good
2. Meh, it should lock onto more, but if it works then it works. I'd say give navigation a try and see if it still works.
3. Well yes it is
4. 2.2 is on the way, and yes I hope we get 3.0 too.

Upvote 0
3. That is still something I'm not sure of. Anyone else? I remember reading Android or maybe just this phone, doesnt support SDHC, which are the really fast cards, typically ment to be used in digital cameras. But dont take my word for it on this topic.

Just a correction or FYI. SDHC stands for Secure Digital High Capacity. Any SD or Micro SDHC card over I believe 2 gigs is SDHC and yes our phones support it up to 32 GB. Of course I don't think those are realistic to find or purchase yet but your mileage may vary.

As for what speed you wanna get? I'm running a class 2 8gb card. But then I only use it to store music and SD (standard definition as opposed to HD) media and class 2 is plenty fast for that in my experience. I would suggest for video recording directly to the card you should invest in a class 6 at a minimum.

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones