• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Read this to improve call sound quality!!!

I just tried this and it tells me:

"Your feature update could not be completed. If you feel you have reached this recording in error please check the number and try again. Annoucement 12/4-8"

Any suggestions?

You typed it in wrong. You are not actually making an out call, its just the code that gets you into the programming menu.

I would go back and try it again. Make sure you have the correct number of #s.

Upvote 0
My experiments led me to believe otherwise

Droid Sound Quality : elementel.net
You have to remember this is CDMA in general. Your comparing your Droid voice quality to CDMA quality. The issue may be your Droid. The reason I say this too, is that I have not received any complaints about my voice when I talk on the phone, however a friend of mine purchased a Droid last week and he always sounds a bit muffled. I told him to get it checked.

Also your using Skype to do the call? I guess I do not understand.

Upvote 0
good points.

Yes I'm using skype. I called my cell phone with skype and used adobe soundbooth to record "What U Hear".
Its easier to test in a controlled environment and when you know how someone sounds in real life :) When I hear myself from a recorded segment I am like, I sound like that? lol

But to me the settings should stay at EVRC. For those that are having better quality at 13K I have no idea why or how they know (of course unless someone tells them).

But you did a good test and on the right track.

Upvote 0
Interesting to know: after listening to my recordings several times I've come to the conclusion that evrc WITHOUT b compression actually sounds better.

Well you may be getting EVRC anyway on both calls, because if the end office does not support EVRCB then it drops down to EVRC. I believe it drops down. I will have to ask!!! Your getting me thinking again now...

Upvote 0
I remembered this thread from when I got my droid last year and tried this. I could not make outgoing calls after doing this.

Yesterday I went to my local VZW store to have them give us replacement battery covers and while we were there the rep said he needed to "update" something. After his update I received a few calls, but had not called out until today. When I tried, call failed, I rebooted, call failed. Tried incoming call again, it worked, tried calling out again, call failed. I thought about it for a few minutes before the light bulb came on in my head and I remembered trying this trick and my results.

I came here, searched for this thread, followed the instructions, and changed it back to the default and all fixed. So, I guess this is a long winded thank you!

Upvote 0
I wondered the same thing. I connected via Wi-Fi to my Verizon FiOS router, which has symmetric internet connectivity at 25Mb/s both up and down. Using the default settings on the Droid, I see the SpeedTest needle pinned at a solid 10Mb/s down, but only get 1MB/s up. That would seem to jibe with the default '05 Data Rates' settings. But even after changing them to 153.6/153.6, I saw identical results although I'd expected to see 10Mb/s in each direction.

I also tried 3G connectivity with both settings. My home is in a very weak signal area for VZW Wireless, so I have yet to see EVDO speed test numbers here showing much more than about 300-400k down (I get about 4x those speeds in other parts of town that are closer to towers). But after making the change to 153.6/153.6, I am suddenly seeing 800-900k down very consistently.

Neither result makes any sense to me: Why would I not see equal speeds up/down via my wi-fi link after making the change? And why would a change to the upload speed limit cause the download speeds of a 3G connection to improve? All very strange. Anyway, I'm going to leave the setting at 153.6/153.6 for awhile just to see what happens in actual usage, and to see if I continue to experience the higher download speeds in a weak-signal area.

Has anyone else tried changing this setting?

Has anyone else made this change??

Upvote 0
I made it way back when when I first posted, but I haven't bothered looking to see if it is still changed or not.

My VCQ is fine right now, so I am not changing it.

You can always change it back if it doesn't work / makes things worse, so asking others if their VCQ changed is not really a barometer on how it will work on your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones