• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Recomended high end roms?

d3310n

Android Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2011
florida
There seem to be quite a few eris roms, youre all so lucky to have a big community with the eris main phone for me is the ally which only has about 3 roms (on 2.2). What roms for the eris is the most tricked in your opinon? Most tricked (ad blocker for example)? Fastest(best linpack and quadrant score)? And freshest(2.3 cyanogenmod 7 and such.)

are you thinking of picking up an eris? id recomend it,you can find them cheap now,and have a lot of fun rooting and ROMing. :) i had an ally for a week or so... i sent it back cause it was so terrible. it was laggy and glitchy,and force closed apps constantly. i hope 2.2 and the ability to root and remove some bloatware has improved its functionality.

as far as 2.3,some of us are using tazz gingerbread,but most seem to agree worksheds version "gingershedbred" is the more stable of the 2 at this point. i wouldnt mess with kaosgingerbread until some more updates are done on it.

all the froyo roms are based on CM6 ports from the hero,and allow a great degree of "tweekability". i could recommend about any of them,really. if you want a funky themed rom,try worksheds "froshedyo v10","red glass" or any of his other themes froyo roms.

if your fancy is a simple,pure CM6 try CELB 4.3.

there are curently no completely functional sense-based 2.2 roms,so if youre a sense fan,youre stuck with 2.1 for now. maybe forever-i havent seen updates the the existing froyo/sense roms in quite awhile. :(

i did a benchmark test on gingershedbread,and it dint score as high as CELB froyo. i forget what the numbers were... 700ish for GSB and 760ish for CELB. both tests with the processer OCed to 710.

my 2 cents,anyway. :) im sure there will be some other opinions along soon. we are lucky to have some devoted developers to provide for our "little phone that could" :p

last and not least,some more info and links in this thread here(wich is a few down): http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/281627-eris-roms.html

edit: just ran another benchmark test. here are the numbers if youre interested:

gingershedbread
memory: 93
CPU integer: 191
CPU float: 16
2d graphics: 149
3d graphics: 70
database IO: 30
SD carw write (3.1 mb/s) 31
SD card read: (13.4 mb/s) 134
total scores: 714

for SH*Ts and giggles,maybe ill relaod CELB and run it again :)

CELB froyo
memory:75
CPU integer: 221
CPU float: 18
2d graphics: 172
3d graphics: 88
database IO: 20
SD carw write (3.2 mb/s) 32
SD card read: (15.6 mb/s) 156
total scores: 782

Reactions: d3310n
Upvote 0
I like Cyanogenmod based ROMs myself. CELBfroyo for 2.2, GSB for 2.3. I suspect things are a bit different on the ally side of things. Roms for the Eris fall into a few catagories: 2.1 Sense based(stock), 2.2 AOSP based, 2.2 CM6 based, 2.2 SENSE based, and 2.3 CM7 based. Most ROMs within each type are very similar, I'd say.

I made a list a while back, it may need updating, but it includes most of the stable ROMS.

https://sites.google.com/site/rootingguide/main_page/roms

Upvote 0
are you thinking of picking up an eris? id recomend it,you can find them cheap now,and have a lot of fun rooting and ROMing. :) i had an ally for a week or so... i sent it back cause it was so terrible. it was laggy and glitchy,and force closed apps constantly. i hope 2.2 and the ability to root and remove some bloatware has improved its functionality.

as far as 2.3,some of us are using tazz gingerbread,but most seem to agree worksheds version "gingershedbred" is the more stable of the 2 at this point. i wouldnt mess with kaosgingerbread until some more updates are done on it.

all the froyo roms are based on CM6 ports from the hero,and allow a great degree of "tweekability". i could recommend about any of them,really. if you want a funky themed rom,try worksheds "froshedyo v10","red glass" or any of his other themes froyo roms.

if your fancy is a simple,pure CM6 try CELB 4.3.

there are curently no completely functional sense-based 2.2 roms,so if youre a sense fan,youre stuck with 2.1 for now. maybe forever-i havent seen updates the the existing froyo/sense roms in quite awhile. :(

i did a benchmark test on gingershedbread,and it dint score as high as CELB froyo. i forget what the numbers were... 700ish for GSB and 760ish for CELB. both tests with the processer OCed to 710.

my 2 cents,anyway. :) im sure there will be some other opinions along soon. we are lucky to have some devoted developers to provide for our "little phone that could" :p

last and not least,some more info and links in this thread here(wich is a few down): http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/281627-eris-roms.html

edit: just ran another benchmark test. here are the numbers if youre interested:

gingershedbread
memory: 93
CPU integer: 191
CPU float: 16
2d graphics: 149
3d graphics: 70
database IO: 30
SD carw write (3.1 mb/s) 31
SD card read: (13.4 mb/s) 134
total scores: 714

for SH*Ts and giggles,maybe ill relaod CELB and run it again :)

CELB froyo
memory:75
CPU integer: 221
CPU float: 18
2d graphics: 172
3d graphics: 88
database IO: 20
SD carw write (3.2 mb/s) 32
SD card read: (15.6 mb/s) 156
total scores: 782

I ran the FroShedYo v10 "Red Glass" for a few days. LOVED it. Have it saved. I'm running the Cyanogenmod Nonsensikal Froyo Black&Blue right now. Love that also. My two favs of the 5 or 6 I tried, others being Tazz Blackened Ginger, another Ginger, and a Vanilla.
I keep going back and forth between my Froyo v10 Red Glass and my Nonsensikal 16.1 Black&Blue. I like them both very much. And I do believe I also prefer Cyanogen based Roms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones