• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replaced Digitizer for HTC Incredible

About to perform open-droid surgery myself. What kind of "clear plastic adhesive" did you use? I'm reading everything from superglue to contact cement to VHB tape (as mentioned above.

Any specific recommendations?? :thinking:

DON'T use any kind of glue. They release gases and can potentially leave permanent gas scarring on the inside of your screen.

Even though there is a 3 order minimum this stuff should be good.

I just used double sided scotch tape sold at Target. They have a removable and a permanent version. I used the permanent. The original adhesive is a bit thicker so I doubled up on the scotch tape everywhere.

Just a tip you need to remove EVERY last spec of the old adhesive then trim the new tape to fit exactly every nook and cranny or the screen will not sit flush. If you take your time (several hours - no joke) the new screen will sit nearly perfectly flush and no one will be able to tell the difference.

If you want to save yourself a lot of time and hassle buy the new glass screen and a new housing. The old glass and adhesive is a bear to remove. After having done it and even having a good looking finished product I would buy the new housing (in a heartbeat) if I had to do it again.

Even if you reuse the old housing or get a new housing to avoid having to remove the glass screen, you still have to remove the AMOLED from the old housing. The AMOLED screen is glued down pretty tight, but you need to remove it either way. Go super slow and careful or it will get damaged.

Reactions: ck40
Upvote 0
I ended up using contact cement last night - however I let it stay exposed throughout the recommended curing time so I think I should be okay on the gas front. The only reason I'd really recommend avoiding contact cement or any liquid adhesive is bc you have to be REALLY careful applying it. I have a tiny visible splotch near the bottom of the screen :mad:

All in all, the procedure really wasn't bad at all. Considering buying a cracked Eris off eBay as a backup and for practice. I agree, the most annoying part was getting the adhesive off and prying the glass off (in spite of taping, my glass broke off and had to be removed verrry carefully). 2 1/2 hours under the knife and a good day of rest and the Dinc is good as new.

And I feel way closer to my phone. Because I saw it naked.

Upvote 0
I am working on mine as i type this. I cannot believe the PITA this is!! i thought i would be back up and running within half hour, now its looking like an all day project, already had to run to radio shack to buy a small t6 driver.

now looks like im going to need double sided tape too eh. Where can i buy the casing for this phone? and how much? i think it would be alot easier just to go that route.

Another question, the circuitry for the buttons (menu, back, search, etc) does this stay intact when removing old screen cause it looks like im going to break eveyrthing trying to get old glass out!

UPDATE: Nevermind on the circuitry board, i got the digitizer removed and the circuit is still in place. I cleaned up the casing with a adhesive remover and it looks brand new, now i just have to decide on what i am going to use to hold the new one in place....

Upvote 0
I did not see this post until I had disassembled my dinc and got to the step of removing the digitizer. Highly recommend using a hair dryer to loosen it from the housing, as recommended by the repairuniverse user in the youtube video comments. Spent a good 2 hours last night removing the adhesive from the housing.

About to reassemble, using Scotch Double-Sided permanent tape as the adhesive.

Reactions: p.m.conne
Upvote 0
Hey, I've just successfully replaced the digitizer on my incredible. It took a little over an hour. Since this thread was so useful to me, I figure I'll add my two cents in case it helps someone else:
To remove the digitizer from the housing I used a hair dryer as suggested above, then inserted a thin guitar pick between the housing and the digitizer, starting from the inside of the narrow (longer) edge and sliding it down. The heat loosened the adhesive enough that doing it this way allowed the cracked digitizer to be removed in one piece without bending the housing and the remaining adhesive to be easily scraped off.
As others recommended I used double-sided tape.
Make sure you pull the ribbon cable attaching the digitizer to the motherboard all the way through before adhering the digitizer to the housing; the cable is *just* long enough to reach the connector.
Save yourself some hassle and attach the cable to the motherboard before settling the board in place.
Thanks to all the contributors to this thread.

Upvote 0
New to this forum and the Incredible. Cracked screen after 45 days. Going to attempt the screen swap myself.

I was going to get the adhesive and replace the glass, but I have decided to get a replacement front bezel as well from Repair Universe. Seems this is the most difficult part. The bezel comes with adhesive already installed. That way I will have a back up and will be able to clean up the factory bezel at my leisure.

Thanks for this thread!

sidenote: this whole screen cracking thing is a serious design flaw. There's got to be a more durable glass available to make these screens out of.

Upvote 0
I recently (last night) replaced my wife's screen on her HTC Incredible. From reassembly and powering on, I can tell everything went flawlessly- except the 4 button ribbon on the bottom of the screen. Is there a trick or assembly step to get this ribbon to seat properly in its respective depressions on the glass below the LCD? The ribbon is tethered to the hasp as best that I can tell and it appears to be in good condition, if not mint condition. Any help, known remedies, or issues associated with removing the screen? Thanks!

Upvote 0
hey guys cracked my phone screen and everything worked fine with it, the crack just annoyed me so i ordered a digitizer for the incredible off repairsuniverse.com and replaced my cracked digitizer screen last night.

after reassembly and boot the phone vibrated and the 4 home lights and touch screen work but the LCD is black. it worked before i dissembled it and followed the how to on taking it apart. i also double checked all the cord are connected...

any ideas how to fix it so i can see my screen again?? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones