• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement battery (Galaxy S III, model SGH-1747M)

John Beaudoin

Lurker
Mar 22, 2016
So,

I'm broke, and my battery is shit. Phone "dies" at 50%. Tried a friends battery, works perfectly fine. So, I need a new battery. I know what it takes: 2100 mAh, 3.8 V Li-ion 7.98 Wh. I know what those values mean (from a layman's point of view), but I have a point in question.

I see a battery on the 'ole eBay: 3200 mAh, 3.7 V, Li-ion. Says it is compatible with my phone. Simply put, higher capacity, similar voltage output. Would it **** up my phone with that .1 difference? If so, do you recommend the stock Samsung battery? Or an off-brand?

Like I said, I'm broke. I don't mind waiting a month to have it ordered from China to save a few bucks, but I'm not buying another battery for $35 from a store, when my phone was purchased used for $30.

**Update: I average about 1% a minute, and it died at 47%. Needs to be plugged in order for it to be rebooted.

Thanks in advance,

John.

Last edited:
John, It is as near as makes no difference the same thing. Except it has a larger capacity. The new battery is at a lower stated voltage, so no it will not damage your phone. To be honest, I think that the 3.7 is a typo - it should be 3.8. It is a chemical reaction, which, when charged, should produce the same voltage every time.
Regards
Kiltpin

Reactions: John Beaudoin
Upvote 0
The picture of the battery has it printed as 3.7 V, so I was wondering.

Specifications:
1. Dimensions: (2.48 x 1.97 x 0.20)" / (6.3 x 5 x 0.5)cm (L x W x H)
2. Weight: 1.27oz / 36g
3. Voltage: 3.7V
4. Capacity: 3200mAH
5. Battery Type: Li-ion Battery
6. Compatible with: Samsung S3 i9300 / i535 / i747 / T999 / R530

Upvote 0
I'd avoid any bargain specials or off-brand batteries, too many are manufactured with little quality control using cut-rate components. Saving a couple of bucks isn't worth the increased chance for one of those knock-offs burning up and frying your S3. As Jfalls63 suggested, it's less than $10 for a Samsung OEM battery. (Also note that while some phones have the NFC chip in the body of the phone, with S3's it's in the battery. Some off-brand S3 batteries don't even have the NFC chip in them.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones