• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Retro Games - Sega, Nes, PS1 and others

The Dreamcast was a great console, unfortunately the infrastructure for online gaming wasn't there yet.
NFL 2K was so much better than anything Madden had at the time.
I rage quit at one time, broke my fourth slot of the controller plug in.... yeah made the system cracked up a little bit, but still works.

• Haha
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I had a few rage quits myself back in the day when playing a buddy in Tecmo Bowl. He would use the 49ers and use a play where there was a glitch. A slant pattern where Jerry Rice would catch it no matter if you had all 11 defenders on him. He would go all the way down the field using that same play. :maddroid::maddroid::maddroid:

Destroyer Rage GIF by A1 eSports

Upvote 0
My first console if you could call it that as the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer from '79, which was essentially an Atari 2600 on steroids and played similar games on cartridge. Mine even had the 'speech synthesis' module which, when used on games such as Alpiner, would troll the player when they lost:

The next was the NES, but I caught on late in like 1990. I never could land that damned F-14 on the carrier on Top Gun (did anyone ever figure that one out? I followed the instructions that said stuff like 'up up! and down! down!' but it always overshot or crashed) so I never got to see the second mission and just accepted that there was no second mission at all, and crashing was the game's actual ending. Unfortunately, the 'Konami Code' doesn't work on this Konami game. Believe me, I tried.

Then I had my Sega era. My sister got the SNES but I was sold on the Genesis, and played that thing into the ground, later upgrading to a Saturn and then a Dreamcast. I never forgave Sony for killing any chance that Sega could succeed. Sega had the better hardware but all Sony did was over-amp their promotions in gaming magazines where Sega couldn't even get any publicity which ended their console run. So I skipped PlayStation until the PS3 and then PS4. I still prefer Xbox in protest since I never fully forgave Sony for killing Sega.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
For the record, when all the 'you need internet to play' and subscription games are long dead, at least I can still fire up a SNES, Wii, Game Boy, NDS/3DS, PlayStation (one), Saturn or Genesis and still enjoy the games. No internet, no subscriptions, no telemetry, no updates. No huge time-wasting day-one patches, no 30GB downloads despite owning the CD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones