• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ringer Lag - Rings on the other end a few times before ringing Hero

Everyone realizes that the number of times you hear a ring in your earpiece when calling another phone has NOTHING to do with how many times the phone is ringing on the other end, right?

Ever called someone and had them answer before you even heard a ring or after 1/2 ring or so? Their phone may have rang 4 times. It's the same thing, but in reverse.

Again, this is not to say there isn't a problem with the Hero. There may very well be. But you cannot measure this problem by listening to how many rings you hear before your phone starts to ring.

Upvote 0
Theoretically, the setting may not make a difference, but empirically it does.

I along with several others noticed a real difference by making the change from 2 to 0. The number of rings was very consistently 2-3+ for my phone before the change and 1-1.5 after. Where the rubber hits the road here is that I used to miss MOST of my calls since by the time my phone started ringing, VM was only 2 rings from picking up and me missing the call. Now I have extra seconds to get the phone out of my pocket and rarely miss a call I try to pick up. The number of rings a person hears when calling you does matter for VM: you only get 5. So, anything to reduce the lag between the caller's rings and my phone ringing is worthwhile to me.

For what it's worth, my slot mode is "enabled" and the index is "0".

Upvote 0
The answers to that question is no, it doesn't.
This is because it isn't really changing anything since the slot cycle is network, not handset, controlled. But I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. Here is a quote from someone at XDA:

I believe I read somewhere that changing the slot cycle index on the phone itself will not actually change anything, except that it may drain your battery faster. As I understand it, the tower's setting for that attribute will override end-user devices' settings.

FWIW, I changed it on my Hero, and it made exactly zero difference in the ring delay (timed in seconds). If you watch a timestamped kernel debug log when a call comes in, you can see that it simply takes the phone a long time to get its sh*t together and start ringing. This is common across HTC phones. Piss-poor design for a phone if you ask me.

The problem is the phone has to check in with the network, then it has to wake itself up when it realizes a call is coming in, then it has to play your ringer. This take some time, and it takes even longer on smart phones that have a number of processes running.

Upvote 0
Thank God I found this thread. Called Sprint last night, explained to the woman what I wanted to do. Her first question was, "how do you know about msl?"
Anyways, she gave me the number and hung up. I set mine to 0 as of right now, no dropped calls because the phone went to voicemail before I could answer. And, no battery drain either, battery is at 91% since being unpluged at 730 am. I think turning off the "always on" internet thing helped the most with that though

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones