• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RIP: Motorola's glory days.....

I'd take a Moto X over an iPhone any day but that's just me.

Speaking of Moto X, are there plans to add a thread for the Moto X+1?

Rumor had it that it was going to be announced May 13 but it wasn't.

Only rumored to have a Snapdragon 800. Could the announcement delay be because they are waiting for 805 availability?

Upvote 0
Speaking of Moto X, are there plans to add a thread for the Moto X+1?

Rumor had it that it was going to be announced May 13 but it wasn't.

Only rumored to have a Snapdragon 800. Could the announcement delay be because they are waiting for 805 availability?

That was barely a rumor just wishful thinking... Look for it near late summer maybe soon after moto 360

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering what kind of conversations are being had that you would risk committing a felony?

The kind where you ignored the part where I said that the law varies by jurisdiction and I was taking no such risk and then accused me of risking felonious activities.

Here's the breakdown for each US state -

http://www.mrcustodycoach.com/blog/resources/recording-telephone-calls-laws-state-by-state-directory

"Thanks for calling me back to discuss the new contract. As it's just us present, may I record our call in lieu of, or in addition to, taking notes?"

And with consent given, start recording, begin by noting it and offering a copy to the other person at the conclusion of the discussion.

In the states where I've done it, I've been perfectly legal, according to my attorney and the other party when they've checked.

I've contracted with large, multinational firms that way. Not an issue.

In a case where I was being personally harassed, my attorney asked me in writing to save my voice mail and record the calls I received where I answered.

Please feel free to review the laws linked above. They're very informative. :)

Upvote 0
A lot of people get hung up discussing it for legal reasons, but it's not illegal everywhere and certainly in my case, wasn't used for anything underhanded.

Right there. Explained completely.

No felony was ever risked. Not even a misdemeanor. Not even anything immoral. Nothing underhanded.

Said so up front.

You just wanted to think that I needed to explain the law and/or my actions in detail up front to back it up.

Nice try though.

Anyway, I accept your apology.

I hope my legal use of phone recording meets with your approval! :rofl:

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Rumors are appearing - "Leaked Sprint Docs Seemingly Confirm 64GB Moto X"

For the original moto X?
Last year the Moto X hype train was an insane ride from start to finish.. I own one now and anything they released in terms of leaks of the new I just won't care..my main gripe with the beautiful X is it battery isn't as great as the g

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Smart people: please answer this question. Why do specs on a low or mid range smartphone that are the same as high end 2 years ago provide better performance today?

For the record, I heard something about processors with different sizes of NM (nanometers) and know smaller is more efficient. I'm not sure if that's battery, performance, or both.

So let's assume you could run the same version of Android on 2 devices. They have the same UI (or none at all if you prefer), have the same battery size, same carrier, same coverage area, and all other things are the same such as screen size and such.

The only difference is the old hardware vs the old with as similar of numbers (clock speed, ram, number of cores, etc).

Why is 2014 low / mid range better than 2 years ago high end?

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Smart people: please answer this question. Why do specs on a low or mid range smartphone that are the same as high end 2 years ago provide better performance today?

For the record, I heard something about processors with different sizes of NM (nanometers) and know smaller is more efficient. I'm not sure if that's battery, performance, or both.

So let's assume you could run the same version of Android on 2 devices. They have the same UI (or none at all if you prefer), have the same battery size, same carrier, same coverage area, and all other things are the same such as screen size and such.

The only difference is the old hardware vs the old with as similar of numbers (clock speed, ram, number of cores, etc).

Why is 2014 low / mid range better than 2 years ago high end?

Ok.

Semiconductor manufacturing is very much like a printing process. Instead of ink, metals and oxides are used. Layers are put down, patterns etched out, and so on and so forth until those building blocks become transistors, wiring and eventually complete, complex processors, modems, radio transceivers or memory circuits. The individual devices are cut away from the aluminum platters (called wafers) they're originally made on, into tiny pieces (called chips) and then put into plastic and epoxy containers called packages (the black squares and rectangles you see on a circuit board).

The piece we focus on is what I've compared to as printing, and today's manufacturing is in the nanometer era - that is, we measure a common and important point for memory transistor junctions, and right now, that's measured in billionths of a meter, aka nanometers, aka nm.

It's the finest resolution of that stage of the manufacturing process.

Four years ago, many parts we used were made with a 65 nm manufacturing process. Two years ago, 45 nm was common. Today, 28 nm is not uncommon, and in the next year or two we'll see that drop to 20, 18, or even fewer nm.

That one little junction is in many ways the key to the mint.

The smaller it is, the less energy it takes to operate. The less energy it takes, the less energy it also wastes as heat.

And if it takes less energy to work, then it stands to reason that it works more efficiently - in this case, faster.

Imagine if I were to take you up to two wheels, suspended above the ground. One weighs 500 pounds, the other weighs an ounce. Your job is turn each one as quickly as possible for exactly and only one turn.

Which one, given the same power supply - your hands, a motor, I don't care - will take less power to work, and complete more quickly?

It's the same thing with transistors. And you're running billions of them. So the power and speed differences add up quickly.

Clear? :)

Upvote 0
Ok.

Semiconductor manufacturing is very much like a printing process. Instead of ink, metals and oxides are used. Layers are put down, patterns etched out, and so on and so forth until those building blocks become transistors, wiring and eventually complete, complex processors, modems, radio transceivers or memory circuits. The individual devices are cut away from the aluminum platters (called wafers) they're originally made on, into tiny pieces (called chips) and then put into plastic and epoxy containers called packages (the black squares and rectangles you see on a circuit board).

The piece we focus on is what I've compared to as printing, and today's manufacturing is in the nanometer era - that is, we measure a common and important point for memory transistor junctions, and right now, that's measured in billionths of a meter, aka nanometers, aka nm.

It's the finest resolution of that stage of the manufacturing process.

Four years ago, many parts we used were made with a 65 nm manufacturing process. Two years ago, 45 nm was common. Today, 28 nm is not uncommon, and in the next year or two we'll see that drop to 20, 18, or even fewer nm.

That one little junction is in many ways the key to the mint.

The smaller it is, the less energy it takes to operate. The less energy it takes, the less energy it also wastes as heat.

And if it takes less energy to work, then it stands to reason that it works more efficiently - in this case, faster.

Imagine if I were to take you up to two wheels, suspended above the ground. One weighs 500 pounds, the other weighs an ounce. Your job is turn each one as quickly as possible for exactly and only one turn.

Which one, given the same power supply - your hands, a motor, I don't care - will take less power to work, and complete more quickly?

It's the same thing with transistors. And you're running billions of them. So the power and speed differences add up quickly.

Clear? :)

Yeah it makes sense. That would be why my old HTC Rezound from early 2012 and one of those new Motorola phones are not the same even though specs are similar. Thanks for explaining that. I guess I've slowly fallen for the advertisements showing how having more cores, more ram, a faster processor, and some stupid marketing gimmicks of useless features most never use are what matters.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yeah it makes sense. That would be why my old HTC Rezound from early 2012 and one of those new Motorola phones are not the same even though specs are similar. Thanks for explaining that. I guess I've slowly fallen for the advertisements showing how having more cores, more ram, a faster processor, and some stupid marketing gimmicks of useless features most never use are what matters.

All things being equal the most important thing is a balanced design.

For any fixed hardware space you can trade off between three things to optimize any one: features, speed, battery life. Or, you can sensibly balance the three to varying degrees.

Increasing the hardware space with cores, speed and ram give more flexibility in the three optimization factors listed above.

Increasing software efficiency does the same thing.

The Moto X flies in the face of conventional specs and performs really, really well because it's a highly balanced design with a very effective mix of hardware and software.

Many deliver what they advertise - a ton of features in what my terms would be a large hardware space.

Performance and battery life are quickly at risk due to another important engineering principle - TANSTAAFL.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

quzageby.jpg

Every time I clicked on it brings me here, at first it said I didn't have permission

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones