• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rmk [OP] - [ROM] Virtuous v2.5 (9/1/10): Stock Sense/Froyo v3.21.605.1 w/Fixes & Enhancements

For all those who are interested...............................

Version 3.0 (coming soon)
New app separation model. Stock apps all in /system/app, Virtuous-added apps in /data/app. Only exceptions are Superuser, ROM Manager and Virtuous Buddy:
Any apps which were part of the stock HTC ROM and remain enabled will be in the default location, /system/app.
Any apps disabled by the user via Customizer or Buddy can easily be enabled and vise versa.
Apps which are added by Virtuous (via Market or other source) will be in /data/app. Examples of apps in /data/app include Android Tether, Chrome to Phone and Google Voice (the later two are being added in 3.0).
Virtuous-installed apps in /data/app can be reinstalled by using Buddy to clear removal state or by wiping data.
Relocated Adobe Flash, Flashlight, Genie Widget, Car Panel, PDF Viewer and Quick Office back to /system app. Only 3 apps are being placed in /data/app: Android Tether, Google Voice and Chrome to Phone.
Added Virtuous Buddy 1.02 [system].
Added Google Voice 0.4.1.26 [data].
Added Chrome to Phone 2.1.0 [data].
Updated Adobe Flash to 10.1.95.1.
Updated Gmail to 2.3 (config wipe).
Updated Google Street View to 1.6.0.6.
Reverted Google Voice Search patch.
Removed Busybox Updater.
Disabled App Sharing.
Disabled My Verizon.

Check out the change log here: Virtuous ROM: Change Log

Reactions: jbdan and dscribe
Upvote 0
When trying to install the zip from sd card in clockworkmod recovery, I get:

-- Installing: SDCARD:virtuous-inc_froyo_rom-v2.7.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Formatting SYSTEM:...
Formatting CACHE:...
Deleting files...
Deleting files...
Copying files...
Copying files...
E:Can't chown/mod /system/etc/init.goldfish.sh
(No such file or directory)
E:Failure at line 73:
set_perm 0 2000 0550 SYSTEM:etc/init.goldfish.sh
Installation aborted.

Any help?

Upvote 0
When trying to install the zip from sd card in clockworkmod recovery, I get:

-- Installing: SDCARD:virtuous-inc_froyo_rom-v2.7.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Formatting SYSTEM:...
Formatting CACHE:...
Deleting files...
Deleting files...
Copying files...
Copying files...
E:Can't chown/mod /system/etc/init.goldfish.sh
(No such file or directory)
E:Failure at line 73:
set_perm 0 2000 0550 SYSTEM:etc/init.goldfish.sh
Installation aborted.

Any help?

Can't say that I have seen the error before. Did you make sure the entire zip downloaded? (160mb) Does the MD5 match what is posted on his website?
You could try to wipe the cache and the memory before flashing.
Other than that, I haven't the slightest idea.:thinking:

Good Luck!! :D

Upvote 0
Just tried installing Revolution theme and my phone went into boot loops. Not sure what happened there.

Been using Virtuous 2.7 with custom kernel all week and I'm really liking it. Although its not a huge bump, i have noticed an increase in battery life.

Also, not sure if this is the appropriate place for requests, but I would love to see a trackball wake-up feature with this ROM. That was one of the things that drew me to CM6.

Thanks for the awesome work, Dev.

Upvote 0
Boot into HBOOT, then go into custom recovery, then do a nandroid restore, then reboot.

Ya what he said. I pulled the battery, then I did a powerup holding the down volume and power buttons. Go into HBOOT, then select restore. Should take u to clockwork. Once you're in clockwork, select the backup/restore option. Hopefully u did a nandroid backup before doing the theme mod. Select your nandroid backup and u should be good to go. Hope that helps. There are vrry detailed threads around here that describe what I just said prbly in a more effective way.

Reactions: benjamin_
Upvote 0
Just tried installing Revolution theme and my phone went into boot loops. Not sure what happened there.

Been using Virtuous 2.7 with custom kernel all week and I'm really liking it. Although its not a huge bump, i have noticed an increase in battery life.

Also, not sure if this is the appropriate place for requests, but I would love to see a trackball wake-up feature with this ROM. That was one of the things that drew me to CM6.

Thanks for the awesome work, Dev.

For the optical joystick wakeup, I believe you can still download that as an add-on from the skyraider goodies section in rom manager. It's not the most reliable wake up option though, so since it wasn't consistently working I didn't re-install it after I upgraded to 2.7.

Just make sure to do a nandroid so if it busts something you can do a restore, but it worked for me on virtuous before.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot guys. Before I saw what dscribe posted, I went into HBOOT and did a wipe and reboot. Turns out I didn't need to, since I had done a nandroid backup. Ugh, this stuff is pretty frustrating, but at least I'm learning new things.

Lev16: were you able to get the Revolution theme to work?

Nope, never got Revolution working... yet. I'm new to root as well. It's really not too confusing once you get the terminology down and play around with stuff. Just tinker around and things make sense

Upvote 0
Well crap. I've been running Virtuous all week and been feeling pretty good about it. Today things kind of crapped out on me. First, I noticed some major lag when I was typing in the browser. I changed my typewriter from Swype to Touch Input, but that didn't make much difference. I recall people were changing their version of Flash to correct this, but mine hadn't been causing any issues till today.

The second issue today was some MAJOR battery drain. My Up Time was somewhere around 9:30 and my Awake time was somewhere around 5:30. My battery was down to about 8% and I finally just plugged it in. Haven't had any battery issues till today. Have NO clue what happened. I figure it must be an app that is running data or something, but I'm not really sure where to start the workup for that. Downloaded Juice Defender, so I guess we'll see if that helps at all. Might go to a previous nandroid backup that I have before the battery drain started up. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Well crap. I've been running Virtuous all week and been feeling pretty good about it. Today things kind of crapped out on me. First, I noticed some major lag when I was typing in the browser. I changed my typewriter from Swype to Touch Input, but that didn't make much difference. I recall people were changing their version of Flash to correct this, but mine hadn't been causing any issues till today.

The second issue today was some MAJOR battery drain. My Up Time was somewhere around 9:30 and my Awake time was somewhere around 5:30. My battery was down to about 8% and I finally just plugged it in. Haven't had any battery issues till today. Have NO clue what happened. I figure it must be an app that is running data or something, but I'm not really sure where to start the workup for that. Downloaded Juice Defender, so I guess we'll see if that helps at all. Might go to a previous nandroid backup that I have before the battery drain started up. Any thoughts?

5hrs awake is pretty awesome!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones