• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][UPDATE: 04/05/2012][bROM v1.2]

Hopefully if everything goes right I will have the beta release uploaded by tomorrow. I might have had it today, but I spent a great deal of time trying to repair the Windows 7 bootloader on my laptop which is what I dev on. But everything is up an running now so I should have it out tomorrow.

A note to testers, make sure you make a full nandroid backup(I suggest using CWM 5.0.2.3 at least to do this).

Also make sure you make a tar of your /hidden/data partition, or backup the bootanimation, shutdown animation, power-on sound, and the content.xml and setting.xml located in /hidden/data/CDA/. To do this you can use RootExplorer to make the tar, or use ES to make a zip or copy the files over to the sd card. Of course when you go to copy them back later you'll have to reset the permissions on them.

Next you will want to have a copy of your current recovery handy unless you want to stick with CWM 5.0.2.6 because thats what my ROM installs.

Lastly you will want to copy your splash.img out of the image folder in the fat partition(mounted when you plug in while in bootloader/download mode).

Whenever you test it out, please try out all the included apps, and also try out your favorite apps and make sure everything play's nicely. Really put this ROM through a work out, and pm bugs you have found to me. Make sure they are actual bugs and can be replicated!

Upvote 0
Okay so I should have a working beta test version up tomorrow. I had one, but wifi was borked, and apps couldn't gain root correctly dude to me leaving the toolbox symlinks out of the install script. But everything is working so far!

I am running my own personal version of the ROM and everything is working very nicely and might I say it looks quite well(not to blow on my own horn) I hope everyone else likes it as much as I do!

Upvote 0
Okay so sorry for the long delay in getting the beta out. I have a version I am willing to release as a beta test to my beta testers. I had to fix a wifi issue, and clean up alot of little bugs bothering me. If you want to receive the beta, please email me and I will send you the link.

PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING!!!!

Code:
Hopefully if everything goes right I will have the beta release uploaded  by tomorrow. I might have had it today, but I spent a great deal of  time trying to repair the Windows 7 bootloader on my laptop which is  what I dev on. But everything is up an running now so I should have it  out tomorrow.

A note to testers, make sure you make a full nandroid backup(I suggest using CWM 5.0.2.3 at least to do this).

Also make sure you make a tar of your /hidden/data partition, or backup  the bootanimation, shutdown animation, power-on sound, and the  content.xml and setting.xml located in /hidden/data/CDA/. To do this you  can use RootExplorer to make the tar, or use ES to make a zip or copy  the files over to the sd card. Of course when you go to copy them back  later you'll have to reset the permissions on them.

Next you will want to have a copy of your current recovery handy unless  you want to stick with CWM 5.0.2.6 because thats what my ROM installs.

Lastly you will want to copy your splash.img out of the image folder in  the fat partition(mounted when you plug in while in bootloader/download  mode).

Whenever you test it out, please try out all the included apps, and also  try out your favorite apps and make sure everything play's nicely.  Really put this ROM through a work out, and pm bugs you have found to  me. Make sure they are actual bugs and can be replicated!
All this applies to this beta test. Please note this will alter your /hidden/data partition and will change your splash.img and recovery.img, all of which are not backed up by a nandroid, so you will want to back these up before flashing my ROM. If you have any questions about this ask me in the pm asking to test it out and I will be glad to help instruct you on the best way to back it up!

Also I am currently working on getting bKernel up and running. I have a stock kernel with sio and vr i/o schedulers and a couple different govenors applied(but i'm running into some snags on some of the govenors) and my brother and I are working on merging DoomLords OC/UV setup into our kernel. This is not included in the beta, its just umph v1 oddball. But eventually I will get a release version of my kernel.

Upvote 0
Have been itching at flashing this Rom but have a few concerns I am hoping someone could help me with. My question basically revolves around needing to back things up that won’t be backed up by doing a Nandroid. I am currently ruining the latest CM7 and was just going to restore a very old Nandroid backup of the stock Rom that I really don’t have any use for before flashing the Prep ROM. My question is that if I don’t care about losing anything from my old stock Rom do I still need to do the extra backups and if I then later decide to restore my current CM7 will anything be missing or out of whack. Sorry for the ignorance on the subject but I just don’t feel comfortable messing with things unless I have an understanding of what I am doing to go along with the instructions. I am very new to Android but otherwise I am a software tester by profession and am eating all this up. Actually I test software, hardware and provide technical support for a company (Home - Field Diagnostics) that develops energy management diagnostic software and hardware.

Upvote 0
Sorry, going back to cm7 miui It works really good for a day Only thing that didn't work was contacts Didnt restore rite And after loading all my apps back on. And being at 1.4. Still seems really slow. Then I started getting reboots all the time. Really loved the green Thames you have with the black. Will check it out later when bugs are fixed.

Upvote 0
Yeah I would always reboot after restoring stock and flashing the prep ROM.

@Cable123, what did you use to restore apps? If you used a nandroid data backup then yes expect funny performance as ithas files from a CM& build. You always need to start fresh when switching from any ROM, especially and AOSP ROM.

I could build it off Tickerguy's CM7, but then it would be nothing more than a themed version of his build. And I'm not one for ripping people off. It seems that all anyone cares about is CM7, I built this because I'm not a fan of CM7 or MIUI and I'm providing it for the stock ROM people. If its not up to ones CM7 expectations, I cannot do nothing about that.

Upvote 0
WHat do you mean the kernel won't stick? Which kernel is on it? You won't be able to tell other than having more governors and i/o schedulers and be able to oc up to 2.016GHz. In the about phone menu the kernel version won't change because of the way the settings apk gathers the kernel version. It basically calls for /proc/version, which returns a big string of the kernel version plus stuff automatically appended to it. The kernel version for froyo 2.6.32.9, and it trims down the long proc/version into just 2.6.32.9-perf and appends App-s to the beginning of it. I have tried looking into the samli files that controls this inside of the settings.apk but it's over my head!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones