• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] Velocity V0.3 | LG Ally | Fast | VZB | Android 2.1 | Stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know I haven't been as about it as I could have been but I return with tidings of good news!! So Tridents recent Twitter posts have me buzzing with excitement. It seems that the long awaited Velocity V0.4 will tentatively be released on Christmas eve!! Also, and he must really be kicking ass lately, he announced that V0.5 will be along after that, and even better, it comes in flavors - Eclair or Froyo builds!! I've donated to the Trident Redbull Fund after the release of V0.3, you can bet your sweet ass that if V0.4 is half as bad ass as I have been hearing it will be, I'll be making another deposit to the First National Bank of Velocity Builder, I hope you'll follow in my food stamps!!

Reactions: Nemesiis
Upvote 0
This bug has caused me hours of headache and frustration. More than I could possibly describe in a reasonable post. So for the sake of keeping this post on-topic, I'll just describe this bug in Velocity 0.3:

"mms" script. Or possibly others, mms is just the last app I removed that I later tried to reinstall.
"busybox cp /system/app/Mms.apk /sdcard/.velocity" line (under the "-rm" block)

If the ".velocity" folder doesn't exist on the SD card, it ends up copying the "Mms.apk" file to a file named ".velocity". Then when you go to restore, it checks if "/sdcard/.velocity/Mms.apk" exists, and it doesn't (.velocity is a file).

So basically it totally trashes the apps that you remove, no backup, do not pass Go, do not retain one's sanity.

I was able to restore Mms.apk by renaming .velocity to .velocity/Mms.apk then running the script (just copying the Mms.apk file and running "sync" didn't seem to fix it, hence hours of frustration). But my phone still isn't storing incoming texts. It receives them, pops up a notification with the latest message text, but the message is not stored in the database (com.android.providers.telephony), so neither Handcent nor the native Messaging app can see what was just received. So pissed off with this ROM right now. Mixed blessing, lots of good stuff, but the bad things are SO bad they're overshadowing everything... /ugh

Thanks for the work on this ROM none the less. Certainly not something I could have done myself.

Upvote 0
anyone know when v4 dropping? was supposed to be Friday according to twitter but still nothing yet *shrugs*
I wish I knew, I check Tridents twiter page like all the time looking for some inkling of a hint to when it's coming but to no avail. Well I guess it just goes to show you how much time and effort is being put into this one. I mean look at the length of Velocity posts, the first V0.1 was one page of posts, this one is up to seven! I hope it's soon but I'd rather have it right than fast.

Upvote 0
I know right I'd rather wait and have it running well I was just wondering bkuz his last tweet said he was uploading it so I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it lol
Oh we know, "uploading an early Christmas present" was the last update but, and this is strange, my Rom Manager isn't working or at least it says it had a problem. I wonder if that has anything to do with the delay?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones