• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Roms ive Flashed and Tested :)

okay everybody, i just decided to throw a thread together of the list of all the roms and recoveries ive flashed, and which one i love the most.

**NOTE** all roms listed were tested and flashed by me and this is only my opinion of the roms. im not trying to steal any credit for thier hard work and dedications. i did not help or enlist in these roms, im just a tester. i completely respect all of its developers and thank you all for the hard work and dedication put into. i look forward to testing and flashing new roms and recoveries. also, all roms and details, included recoveries and kernels can be found here: [Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) - Android Forums :D

also, recoveries and the best one for the rom are usually included in the thread the rom is posted on. read thoroughly.

Roms:

1)Stock Rom (asadullah [ROM] Basic Stock - Android Forums) yes okay this might sound stupid but one of the very first roms i have ever flashed is the stock rom by asadullah. i flashed this because i wanted to get a feel of rooting and see what happens if i wanted to go back to stock, and its perfect. maybe slightly different, not overclocked, this is basically the rom if you mistakenly deleted your backup, like i did, and decided you wanted to go back to stock, i would recommend this one. :)

2)Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (RevolutionRed [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2) - Android Forums) now if you still cant find the perfect rom out there for you, and you must have your stock back, but you want your phone much faster and more space in the internal memory. this is the one for you. bloatware is removed. this rom also increases battery life.
Rom info:
- Xionia 005 Kernel
- VM crapware removed (No WHERE, Air chat, etc)
- Boot Logo and sound are gone
- Deodexed
- ZipAligned
- Not overclocked (but the kernel IS overclockable using SetCpu or similar)
- Optimus S themes will not work with this rom.
- Overclockable up to 864Mhz (No guarantees on how fast your particular processor will go. Mine is only stable up to 825.)
- CIFS support
- Tons of speed tweaks (see the thread linked above for full details)
i ran this rom for a good week or two before i decided to flash another one. :)

3)Aphrodite Extra Pure Edition (LeslieAnn [ROM] Aphrodite 1.3.3B Extra Pure Edition (Virgin Kernel) Verified Working! (14apr11) - Android Forums) now this is basically just another stock rom that has been customized to a potential. this pure edition rom is based on the stock kernel with a few minor tweaks, and also bloatware is removed of course. i didnt find this one quite satisfying really because i felt as if i was still running a stock rom. but this is a very very stable rom and you can rely on it at times.

4)Aphrodite 2.0.1 (LeslieAnn [ROM] Aphrodite 2.0.1 w/Xionia 010 (13apr11) - Android Forums) now this is a kernel i really liked after i flashed it. as you know, bloatware is also removed and there is just enough to get you going here.
Xionia 010 Virgin kernel
Activate
Email (not easily obtained from the Market, or it would be gone as well)
Gallery3d
Live wallpaper chooser
Market (updated)
Vendor updated
SuperUser
Swype!
Malware patch
speed tweaks
Search Widget
Normal utilities like phone, camera and such.
one of the first roms i tested and is quite fast. can be overclocked. shoutout to LeslieAnn. :)

5)Harmonia 1.3.1 (LeslieAnn and pickastacks [ROM] Harmonia 1.3.1 (Aphrodite+Picasticks) 16July11 (2.2 bits!) - Android Forums) ahhh sweet Harmonia. this had got to be one of my favorite roms. only because how fast and stable it is running on the pickastacks kernel. however, Harmonia is still in the family of the aphrodite roms. the battery life is of course great with this kernel and rom. this is most likely my second favorite if not my first. can be overclocked. its just so fast and neat and bloatware is all gone like every other, the space from the get go is perfect, here are a list of details:

MUCH better battery life!!
Picasticks kernel (with OV based Ramdisk)
Mvdalvik, this gives you 175megs of storage space (about 40 more than previously available)
Time without signal fix (Thanks Obijohn!)
Power Button Reboot option (Thanks Obijohn!)
Optimized drivers
Internal wipe gone
Wifi hotspot built into menu system
Init.d support built-in
New Market App (July 2011)
Updated email (from 2.2.2)
Updated MMS (from 2.2.2)
Swype!
Speed tweaks
Malware patch
Everything up to date
Activate app.
CPU set to interactive, max speed is 864 (requires an overclock utility to exceed stock speeds)
De-branded (not themed) and cleared of junk.
New startup animations, wallpaper and logos (see post #2 for options)
Removed all but one ringtone (I renamed Guitar_Trip to Anthem so nothing breaks, saves 400k) Media pack available (see post #2 for options).
Removed alternate languages. Language pack available (see post #2)
everything you need to know is basically in the link above. go try it out. :)

6)Bumblebee (obijohn [ROM+Kernel] ~*~ Bumblebee 2.4 ~*~ (6/25/2011) - Android Forums) the thing i like most about the bumblebee rom is the battery life. ive flashed many roms and found nothing like the battery saver in this rom and kernel. the developer scored with this one. now this rom is similar to Harmonia. good amount of internal memory 176 out of 179, cant get any better. also, the developer sped up the sd card read process, so the usb reads your sd card much faster. overclocked. swype included. there is an option for a portable wifi hotspot in the wireless and networks menu. the rom is very smooth and plus i love the boot image. very slick and neat. and i also like the fact that the developer included the source, rom, kernel, and a wiper that cleans basically everything off your system from recovery, i use the everytime i flash a new rom too. id rather you just click on the link than me list the details for you. good luck. :)

7)Rodimus (mmmark11 [ROM] █║ RodimusROM v1.2.3 + xionia ║█ [4/3/11] All themes updated!! - Android Forums) this rom just completely makes your phone better overall. one of the first optimus v roms actually. battery is great. bloatware is removed. performance is upgraded and it moves fast and can be overclocked. you can download status bar themes for this, the links are posted on thread. good job mmmark11. :)
v1.2.3
-Bluetooth fixed
-Changed the zipalign on boot script
-Wireless network location fixed
-Original launcher2.apk included for those that don't want LauncherPro
-Build.prop edits
-Some stability and performance changes
-Wipes data, make backups
(hopefully further updates won't require wipe. no guarantees though)
-Download v1.2.3
v1.2.2 (whole ROM)
-Fixed processor staying at 100%
-Make backups, this wipes everything
v1.2.1
-Wifi fixed
-Run-parts fixed
-Back key fixed
v1.2
-Xionia kernel (overclockable up to 864 mhz with setcpu)
-Modified hosts file (automatic adblocking without an app)
-Removed the rest of the bloat
-Fixed some issues from v1.0
-Added themes (highly recommended)
-New bootanimation.zip that cuts of halfway (oops)
-Lots of other tweaks and changes I have made over the past month
-The update-script will wipe your cache and data so please make backups (too many changes to chance not having a full wipe)
v1.1
-debug.sf.hw=0 changed to debug.sf.hw=1
-Screenstate scaling added (written by flohimself. this removes the need to have a SetCPU profile for screen-off. saves battery)
-Added Transparent status bar option (I think it only works with live wallpapers)
-Must flash v.1.0 first
-Wipes dalvik so first boot will take a few minutes
v1.0
-Deodexed
-All APKs including framework optimized (pngcrushed. reduces ram used and make phone more responsive)
-Zipaligned prior to build
-Zipalign on every boot
-Init.d support added to boot.img
-Boot animation changed
-Boot sound removed
-Nexus S LWP added
-Wifi scan changed to 90 to save battery
-JIT=Yes
-Stagefright=No
-Latest LauncherPro default
-Most bloat removed
-Other junk I'm forgetting
-ROM looks mostly stock at the moment. Expect some themed elements later on
-No need to wipe anything, it does it for you. This is to expidite the install and to ensure a clean slate

8)Harmonia 1.0 + Bumblebee Kernel 1.13 + Init.d + Apps2ext + Status Bar Mods (Takenover83 [MOD] Harmonia 1.0 + BumbleBee Kernel 1.13 + Init.d + Apps2ext + Status Bar Mods - Android Forums) i like this rom right here. there are multiple status themes for the rom. six in total. the speed is excellent and also can be overclocked. now i dont know too much about the sd card ext and all that stuff. but it says if you getting working right you can have alot of internal memory space. i just might start doing my research after i post this thread. but overall this rom is great. i ran for a few days until deciding to switch up.

9)Reborn ROM for OV (Nick7 [ROM] Reborn ROM v2.1 5/13/11 - Android Forums) well i cant really tell you much about this rom. other than it is a completely themed stock rom. icons are customized, menu options, everything. its really colorful. and id perfer simple icons so as soon as i flashed this, i flashed another one. the link should tell you way more than i can. if you are the colorful type and prefer more of a customized all out theme but still in stock, this is the one for you.

10)AOSP CW7(AOSP LG Optimus V - ROMRepo) okay, this rom here, is absolutely one of the best. aye gingerbread port for the optimus v. very stable. overclocked and default. a cyanogemod setting menu. everything is just about customize able. and i love it. there is a built in theme chooser that comes with two other custom themes other than the default. there is a dps manager which i love. because the optimus v volume speaker isnt that loud compared to others. so this helps. comes with its own file manager. therefore i dont have to download any other files mangers from the market. space is great. the kernel runs smooth as all get out.i was running this run for awhile compared to all the others. good job to the aosp developer and this rom. quite impressive. everything works perfect. read more in the article over at xda: [ROM][WIP][ALPHA] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.4 / CM7+ (Gingerbread) - xda-developers

11)ath3nos's Unofficial CM7 (ath3nos and modded by mmarz for the OV [ROM-ish] OV Port of ath3nos's Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread) 7/15 - Android Forums) FAVORITE! this rom is the best rom i have ever flashed. it is nearly perfect. ive had this flashed as soon as it is released. of course this is similar to the aosp rom but has way more features and way more stable. however, when the phone is first starting up adw launcher is the default home and a live wallpaper is enabled. i recommend downloading another launcher much faster and replacing the wallpaper with an image. your phone should automatically speed up. everything about this is just so smooth i dont think it could get any better. now this was an original release for the optimus s so make sure you follow the flash steps in the correct order.

Boot into your recovery and do a Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Next flash these in the following order:
1. [ROM][WIP] Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread)
Direct link to rom:
07/15/2011
2. gapps
3. Sprint-to-OV_ath3nos_signed.zip (updated 7/15/2011)
4. ath3nos_bloat_remover.zip Optional (updated 7/15/2011)
Removes: some ring tones, support for non-English languages, bootanimation, some themes, and other stuff that most people don't use.
This only increases space in the system partition

Known Issues:
No voice search button for now. I remapped it to the power button.
160+ character SMS auto split doesn't work like it is supposed to. See below for a work around.
TIPS, TRICKS, AND FIXES:
1) Voicemail - Go to Settings/Call Settings/Voicemail Settings and change "*86" to YOUR phone number. You can now hold 1 to check voicemail in the dialer.
2) Proximity Sensor - Go to Settings/Call Settings and check "Always use proximity" to fix proximity sensor during calls.
3) Electron Beam - Open Settings/CyanogenMod Settings/Display and Check both Screen Animation boxes.
4) Split SMS - Open Messaging, Push Menu button, Select Settings, Check "SMS split" and "Split counter" to auto-split messages over 160 characters.
5) Battery Percentage - Go to Settings/CyanogenMod Settings/Interface/Status bar tweaks, you can check "Battery Percentage" to enable battery percentage in the status bar.
6) Front Key Wake - Flash this from recovery if you want all the front keys to wake the phone: Optimus_V_Key_Swap_signed.zip
7) Wrong Timezone - Settings > Date and time > Uncheck automatic. Then select the proper timezone. Finally, recheck automatic, and it should be fixed. (Thanks Eollie!
only cons really about this rom. try it out. its my favorite. :D

12)BACKside ROM (CM7) + Green Machine Theme (JerryScript http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...wip-backside-rom-cm7-green-machine-theme.html) last but not least, this one. i flashed this rom also the day it was released. at first i was a little sceptacle about it due to the slow startup, but i kept hearing about how it was just an overall great rom. so i just flashed it and i am currently running it. it is very smooth, and of course very similar to at3nos port of CM7 for the OV. so maybe later on i could tell you guys more about this rom when i run it for a few days. check out the link. it is very detailed and JerryScript did a really good job of explaining and detailing it out. good job bro.

well thats about it for now. i will post later threads when new roms get developed and released. i would love to be a beta tester for a developer one day guys. :) good work to all of the developers and thank you for time and the contribution. i know roms are hard work.

and this post took me three hours to type just for the people who wanted to know about the roms out there. i covered most. i would love a few thanks maybe. and some comments. let me know what im missing so i can add it. and tell me if im wrong about something! i mean, ive only been doing this for a few months now.

what im currently running: BACKside ROM (CM7) with Xionia CWMA Recovery v1.2518.4 (stable)

thanks guys. :D

Excellent work, Straw. I've tried many of these ROMs myself (but not all) and due to your efforts I now feel I don't need to do so. I feel many people new to flashing ROMs will find this even more useful than me, even though I would be considered a "newbie" in many people's eyes.

I just found ath3no's ROM a few days back and am very pleased, so far my favorite. I liked aospCMod-OV-20110415 but the camera glitches bothered me, ie. zoom from .1x to .5x w/ auto-focus issues and it was Android 2.3.3. Even tried the two ROMs (aospCMod-VM670-20110601 & aospCMod-VM670-20110601-CAMfix w/ Android 2.3.4) touted to fix the cam probs. but really didn't. ath3no's gives Android 2.3.4, allows a lot of customization, balanced overclocking (mine is scaled on demand from 245.76 to 864 mhz...fast & stable but doesn't eat battery), AND allows my camera 1x to 4x zoom w/ working auto-focus. May seem trivial to some but it always bothered me the cam didn't work right.

And to help out those just starting to root and flash their LG Optimus V...go to Android Market & download: any SD Booster & set it to 2048, Memory Booster, App 2 SD (if you use one of the CyanogenMod ROMs, make sure to go to CyanogenMod settings>Application>Allow application moving), CPU Master and any quick cache cleaner. All these apps will greatly improve your phone's performance in simple ways w/ little effort. Also, if you settle on a ROM without Swype!, SlideIt is available for download in the market for $5.99 USD. Works like Swype!...well worth the money (or you could find it for free on the internet like I did!)

Thanks again Straw for this compilation and many grateful thanks to all those that created, updated, tweaked and improved ALL of these ROMS. You have made LG Optimus V phones work better than Virgin Mobile wanted them to work. ; )

Upvote 0
Excellent work, Straw. I've tried many of these ROMs myself (but not all) and due to your efforts I now feel I don't need to do so. I feel many people new to flashing ROMs will find this even more useful than me, even though I would be considered a "newbie" in many people's eyes.

I just found ath3no's ROM a few days back and am very pleased, so far my favorite. I liked aospCMod-OV-20110415 but the camera glitches bothered me, ie. zoom from .1x to .5x w/ auto-focus issues and it was Android 2.3.3. Even tried the two ROMs (aospCMod-VM670-20110601 & aospCMod-VM670-20110601-CAMfix w/ Android 2.3.4) touted to fix the cam probs. but really didn't. ath3no's gives Android 2.3.4, allows a lot of customization, balanced overclocking (mine is scaled on demand from 245.76 to 864 mhz...fast & stable but doesn't eat battery), AND allows my camera 1x to 4x zoom w/ working auto-focus. May seem trivial to some but it always bothered me the cam didn't work right.

And to help out those just starting to root and flash their LG Optimus V...go to Android Market & download: any SD Booster & set it to 2048, Memory Booster, App 2 SD (if you use one of the CyanogenMod ROMs, make sure to go to CyanogenMod settings>Application>Allow application moving), CPU Master and any quick cache cleaner. All these apps will greatly improve your phone's performance in simple ways w/ little effort. Also, if you settle on a ROM without Swype!, SlideIt is available for download in the market for $5.99 USD. Works like Swype!...well worth the money (or you could find it for free on the internet like I did!)

Thanks again Straw for this compilation and many grateful thanks to all those that created, updated, tweaked and improved ALL of these ROMS. You have made LG Optimus V phones work better than Virgin Mobile wanted them to work. ; )

Good advice, one little thing though....When running any CM7 based ROM, there is no need for App2SD, as that functionality is built into CM7. Be sure you have set it to allow moving apps to sdcard, then go into manage applications and select the sdcard tab, anything not checked is still on the phone's memory, so you check the checkbox and it will move it to the sdcard.

Upvote 0
Did you flash the Sprint-to-OV conversion script for ath3nos? That ROM was built for the Sprint Optimus S, so you need different files to get MMS working on Virgin Mobile's network. The apns.conf file, mms.apk, and a couple of other files need to be changed.

ath3nos is an older version of the IHO repository which can be built for the Optimus S (hence ath3nos) and the Optimus V. The IHO repository has 2 other Sprint builds (one of which is very impressive), and 5 Virgin Mobile builds (including BACKside). All of the Virgin Mobile Optimus V builds have working MMS, and camera fixes that ath3nos has not included yet in his builds (exposure settings now work much better for one):
https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary

Upvote 0
i did flash that. i flashed all files in order. is it possible that i didnt delete all cache required? the instructions just said cache delete and reset or something to that affect. i did not go into advanced delete options through clockwork like i did for the backrom build. maybe that could be it?

and i am still stumped on the speech recognition for sms. i do not see that option on the keyboard. i posted this question also in the backrom forum too. another user suggested that i look in the cyanogen settings for something called talkback but i am still not seeing it. any ideas?

thanks again all for the fast reply. i just began this whole process of rooting and loading roms two days ago and this is entirely new to me. but i am loving it.

Upvote 0
hello jon and welcome, I've only been at this game for about five weeks now so my perspective is that of a newcomer and all things found were to make my adjustments and performance improvements as efficient as possible. I choose to you use CPU Master because I can access the clocking ranges & governors with one touch of a button instead of going to, "settings...CM settings...dragons ahead...etc." So it's the same reason why I like my girlfriend to wear a skirt as opposed to pants, ease of access. ; )

As for your second question, I use Memory Booster Lite (blue square w/ white writing free in the market just search "memory booster", should be first) which is really just a task killer like any other quick memory fix but this one has two real-time bar graphs showing Free & Used memory on the first tab. The second tab is the list of running apps w/ a "Kill selected" bar @ the bottom, I leave all apps checked as the important apps don't die. Then I can go back to the first tab to see the available memory's improvement. I'm an instant feedback kinda guy, cool to see free memory go from 35% to 65% in less than 10 seconds.

One last piece of advice, if you have ClockworkMod Recovery (comes with ROM Manager in the market) and you get locked in a boot animation or worse, ie. your ROM won't load (which happens to me occasionally as I experiment alot), first pull then replace the battery. Then press & hold the home key, volume up, and the power button all at the same time (I found sometimes I need to release the power button before the other two) it will put you back into recovery. This way you can restore to a working/saved nandroid or flash another ROM. This can be a BIG life/phone saver. Will even get you out of the dreaded "blue screen of death". Maybe works w/ the other recoveries, too, but the veterans here would know more about that. Good luck and have fun with your phone!

BTW Jerry, as of the time of my posting you bio says, "Posts: 420". Excellent. ; )

Upvote 0
thanks ectotherm. i actually installed memory booster and like it so far. and yes, i do use clockwork. the only issue i had so far is i flashed ath3nos' rom. i rebooted before installing the others and rom manager wasnt installed on that image. so rather than just booting into clockwork (im a dummy) i tried to flash the google apps, sprint to ov and bloatremover through the terminal emulator. bad idea. even though they appeared to flash, the updates did not take. worse yet, i could no longer boot into clockwork manually. luckily, i was able to install the rom manager apk manually and reflash clockwork and my backups were still in tact. but i wont make that mistake again. now i just do everything through the clockwork console.

Upvote 0
Wow! that was pretty informative. And the amount of work it must have took to compile all that. Good job! The ROM I'm running now has Bluetooth working flawlessly. That's right! The bluetooth is working on a CM7 ROM, thanks to JerryScript and Blarfie

Which ROM/version are you referring to? I'm looking for a stable ROM for LG Optimus V where everything works right after install - I'm not really techie so don't want to modify, add, delete certain files to get ROM to be stable - just want everything all included in one ROM - is there such a ROM besides stock? Main reason I want to change is to overclock my phone so it runs faster. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Petrah
Upvote 0
Which ROM/version are you referring to? I'm looking for a stable ROM for LG Optimus V where everything works right after install - I'm not really techie so don't want to modify, add, delete certain files to get ROM to be stable - just want everything all included in one ROM - is there such a ROM besides stock? Main reason I want to change is to overclock my phone so it runs faster. Thanks in advance.

If all you want to do is overclock, you don't need a custom ROM, you only need a custom kernel. However, it would probably be best for you to try the Harmonia ROM by LeslieAnn (google it). It is basically stock minus the bloatware and optimized for performance and battery life. Another good option would be Bumblebee, it is a bit more performance oriented.

If you want all the extra options and goodies that a custom ROM can give you, then you should look into one of the CyanogenMod7 based ROMs, such as my BACKside-IHO. These ROMs give you so many extra features and customizations I really can't post them all here without spending a half hour typing them all out! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones