• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root for gingerbread 2.3.3 + universal root guide

Did you root your phone successfully with this method?

• Total voters
I was really hoping this would work for me! My phone is Galaxy y GT S5360, 2.3.6 Android version and GINGERBREAD.DXLE1. I have downloaded many zipped files including this one and put them on my SD card, following instructions just like what you've written here. I still cannot get my phone rooted. If it makes any difference, my phone is from the Philippines. Any help anyone has is much appreciated!

Upvote 0
Well, another method didn't worked.

Samsung GT-I5510, Gingerbread 2.3.6 (gingerbread.xwkpg)

I tried to root with gb_root_v20, in recovery mode it said that phone has been rooted, after reboot I launched that RootValidator - failed at all tests. Tried the same thing, but now with gb_ccbsf_v4 before gb_root_v20, and nothing changed.

Before that, I tried other ways. SuperOneClick, UnlockRoot, GingerBreak, I tried to change gingerbread to other version (xwkpj) by odin, in hope that it will be able to root, but it always shouted FAILEDFAILEDFAILED at every possible check.

Is that because my version of gingerbread is from January 2012, and it can't be rooted this way? I don't think so. I will serch for more, but do you have any ideas what else can I do, if not that method? I could use any help. Thanks! And sorry for my english :(

Upvote 0
Hello, i tried to root mon Samsung Galaxy GT-S5830i but when i choose "Apply update from sd card" in recovery mode il says :
"E:failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /sdcard"
Help please what can i do? :(

Well, another method didn't worked.

Samsung GT-I5510, Gingerbread 2.3.6 (gingerbread.xwkpg)

I tried to root with gb_root_v20, in recovery mode it said that phone has been rooted, after reboot I launched that RootValidator - failed at all tests. Tried the same thing, but now with gb_ccbsf_v4 before gb_root_v20, and nothing changed.

Before that, I tried other ways. SuperOneClick, UnlockRoot, GingerBreak, I tried to change gingerbread to other version (xwkpj) by odin, in hope that it will be able to root, but it always shouted FAILEDFAILEDFAILED at every possible check.

Is that because my version of gingerbread is from January 2012, and it can't be rooted this way? I don't think so. I will serch for more, but do you have any ideas what else can I do, if not that method? I could use any help. Thanks! And sorry for my english :(

Try with the new files it should be working now

Upvote 0
I managed to root my S5830T (Telstra model) no problem yesterday using this excellent tool, from the latest Telstra Gingerbread (2.3.4). It worked first try.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I had previously installed CWM and then CM7, but didn't like it and restored the full Telstra firmware using ODIN. From that point, root was achieved in seconds. Very pleased. =)

Upvote 0
Worked perfectly me on the GT-S5830T. First try didn't work, but I used the c.c.b.s.f_v2 zip before trying again and it still appeared to not allow root access when tested with the root validator. I also couldn't find superSU so I told myself it wasn't rooted. Turns out superSU was hiding among other apps, so when I found it I updated the superSU binary and then ran root validator again. It worked, thank you for this tutorial and these files.

Upvote 0
I have tried to do the steps as posted but can't get the phone to start in maintenance mode. Do I press and hold the power and middle button, hold them until the start screen, press power once and hold the middle button down??..... I can't get it to work and I really want to delete the embedded programs to free up the internal memory. Thanks.
1. Download attached file and copy it to your sdcard
2. Run in maintenance mode (power + middle button)
3. Update from sdcard, select the file upd_1.zip.
4. After the update completed - reboot in normal mode.

Thats all - now you have rooted ace with android 2.3.3, and superuser in your apps.

Upvote 0
I managed to root my S5830T (Telstra model) no problem yesterday using this excellent tool, from the latest Telstra Gingerbread (2.3.4). It worked first try.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I had previously installed CWM and then CM7, but didn't like it and restored the full Telstra firmware using ODIN. From that point, root was achieved in seconds. Very pleased. =)

Worked perfectly me on the GT-S5830T. First try didn't work, but I used the c.c.b.s.f_v2 zip before trying again and it still appeared to not allow root access when tested with the root validator. I also couldn't find superSU so I told myself it wasn't rooted. Turns out superSU was hiding among other apps, so when I found it I updated the superSU binary and then ran root validator again. It worked, thank you for this tutorial and these files.

Good news problem solved :D

Upvote 0
I have tried to do the steps as posted but can't get the phone to start in maintenance mode. Do I press and hold the power and middle button, hold them until the start screen, press power once and hold the middle button down??..... I can't get it to work and I really want to delete the embedded programs to free up the internal memory. Thanks.

I think this will give you better perspective how to do things: http://androidforums.com/ace-all-th...al-gingerbread-root-unroot-2-3-3-2-3-7-a.html ;)

Upvote 0
can any one tell me after pressing power button + up volume + home button, how much time does it take to come to recovery mode.

I have ace with 2.3.6 and will like to root the phone with the steps provided.

I also read that installing ROM will make my phone brick.
I hope I'm not making my phone brick

just want to root the phone :)

hope to get reply soon

Upvote 0
can any one tell me after pressing power button + up volume + home button, how much time does it take to come to recovery mode.

I have ace with 2.3.6 and will like to root the phone with the steps provided.

I also read that installing ROM will make my phone brick.
I hope I'm not making my phone brick

just want to root the phone :)

hope to get reply soon

Method 1 [Entering recovery mode on Ace, Gio, Fit, Mini, Pop]

- Make shure you start the phone like this : Long press and hold the (Power Button) + (Home Button)

Method 2 [Entering recovery mode on Ace GT-S5830i, Mini GT-S5570I, Xcover, Young, Y-Duos, Y-Pro, Y-Pro Duos, M-Pro]

- Make shure you start the phone like this : Long press and hold the (Volume up Button) + (Home Button) + (Power button)

So this are the two options only and that's it. Only in the second method when you press and hold all the three buttons ...when the logo of your mini comes out the second time just release the home button once and press it again so you won't activate directly into reboot when you entering recovery mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones