• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT] For the LG Spectrum ICS OTA

For me it is a daily driver... Unless the following is a deal breaker, you will love it:

- Pressing the power button while in camera might reboot the phone
- USB tether doesn't work (wifi tether does great tho)
- 1080p .mkv wrapped VC-1 video files don't play
- wifi direct doesn't work
- SMS breaks texts over 160 into multiple texts

If you don't need those, then it'll be 100% for you.

Upvote 0
Yea and honestly, none of that is enough to be a deal breaker for me. I love what we have right now and it'll only get better.
Yeah, CM10 is def daily-driver-able. I use my Spectrum for work (corp email, hotspot with my laptop, etc) and for fun (hotspot, Kindle, Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc). This has been a beautiful ROM since bluetooth calling was fixed. Just remember to enable GPS and get a GPS lock at least once *before* flashing it. That seems to resolve the "GPS doesn't work for some people" issues

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link...Working on installing it now.. Hope the GPS works as I use it alot.

The GPS can work, but the key is to get a gps lock on your previous rom before installing cm10/aokp. If you use it alot, more than likely you will be good... especially if you've used it really recently. I would say test gps immediately after the flash (maybe use gps test from the play store) - if it works then awesome. If not, flash back to a more stock ics rom (eclipse a3 or icy fusion 2.0) and get a gps lock, then flash back to cm10 and you'll be good.

Upvote 0
What rom are you currently running? You need to be updated to stock ICS (OTA or cab) and rooted with an unlocked bootloader.

I'm on stock rom.. Rooted it with the walk through here. Put rom manager on it, installed ClockworkMod recovery and bought the 1.99... 6.0.1.1. Can't get it to boot to the recovery. I thought it was installed and did the hold down power and volume down. hit power 2 times. Then I get
Secure Booting Error
Cause : boot certification verify
Enter the fastboot...
Enter the fastboot...

Long time no see!

and it wont boot and more and had to reload the .cab file yay lol. Borken it like that 2 times now. Still can't get it to boot to the Touch recovery. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. My first time rooting a phone so take it easy on my noobness :D

Upvote 0
I'm on stock rom.. Rooted it with the walk through here. Put rom manager on it, installed ClockworkMod recovery and bought the 1.99... 6.0.1.1. Can't get it to boot to the recovery. I thought it was installed and did the hold down power and volume down. hit power 2 times. Then I get Security Error and it wont boot and more and had to reload the .cab file yay lol. Borken it like that 2 times now. Still can't get it to boot to the Touch recovery. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. My first time rooting a phone so take it easy on my noobness :D

The ics rom has a locked bootloader with security checks - thats why you get the security error. You need an unlocked bootloader - http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...20-bootloader-pwnage-tool-lg-spectrum-4g.html
Run the pwnage tool. It will replace the bootloader with an unlocked bootloader and install CWM for you.

Reactions: PrinceCorwin
Upvote 0
Just got my Spectrum 2 last week......used this method and worked great....Thanks. Now to get down to cleaning off all of the garbage from Verizon!!

Be careful. I don't know much about the spectrum 2 but the og spec had security stuff built into it that would soft brick your device if you remove the wrong thing. And definitely don't use any of our other tools as they will brick your spec 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones