• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting a Droid turbo 2?

KipperKlank

Lurker
Jul 19, 2016
weeel I know people say that you have to unlock tye bootloader aaaaand the bootloader cannot be unlocked buuuut there's clearly this option under developer options

pvPFMFs
http://imgur.com/pvPFMFs
pvPFMFs

see right there at the top of the list
so is this a different 'kind' of unlock or has the answer been right in front of our faces the whole time?
running android marshmallow version

Attachments

• tmp_28887-Screenshot_20160718-234352-845175249.png
    tmp_28887-Screenshot_20160718-234352-845175249.png
    452 KB · Views: 177
Welcome to our AndroidForums, @KipperKlank :).

I agree that's some interesting info, although I don't personally own this device.

Can you do a "fastboot getvar all" command and post the output? (i.e., from fastboot / bootloader mode, of course)

There should be a line showing bootloader status...

We do have a Droid Turbo 2 root area, but I see it's only got a few threads in there:

By the way, who is your carrier (VZW is notorious for having their devices locked-down tight)?

Cheers!

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I get the option to reset bootloader, should I do that?
Welcome to our AndroidForums, @KipperKlank :).

I agree that's some interesting info, although I don't personally own this device.

Can you do a "fastboot getvar all" command and post the output? (i.e., from fastboot / bootloader mode, of course)

There should be a line showing bootloader status...

We do have a Droid Turbo 2 root area, but I see it's only got a few threads in there:

By the way, who is your carrier (VZW is notorious for having their devices locked-down tight)?

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I get the option to reset bootloader, should I do that?

Whoa! Hold on a second ;)...

You might want to first read the very informative, very detailed, and very scary link that @Jfalls63 kindly linked above warning you about the risks, etc. for unlocking your bootloader:

UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER

STEP 1 - REVIEW THE RISKS

In case you didn't know, bootloader is a little bit of code that tells your device's operating system how to boot up. Motorola has done the work to make sure your device has a fully optimized, certified and tested version of Android. If you are a developer, unlocking the bootloader will allow you to customize your device, but keep the following in mind:
  • You will lose all media and content on your device and will need to reinstall all applications downloaded from Google Play.
  • Applications may not work anymore.
  • You may lose encryption support.
  • You may lose some key functions like telephone, radio, and audio playback.
  • You could cause permanent/physical damage to your device.
  • Unlocking your bootloader will not change your device subsidy lock status
IMPORTANT!

PLEASE REVIEW THE WARNINGS BELOW AND MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE IMPLICATIONS BEFORE YOU PROCEED
  • Unlocking your bootloader is not for the faint of heart. Unlocking your device and installing your own software might cause the device to stop working, disable important features and functionality, and even make the device unsafe to the point of causing you harm. Neither Motorola, nor your wireless carrier or retailer from whom you purchased the device, will be responsible for such damage, so please do not unlock or load any software unless you know what you are doing.
  • You have only yourself to blame. Unless you have a Developer Edition device, once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader.
  • The law still applies. You still need to operate your device in compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations prescribed by the FCC, and any other governmental agency for that matter. Your wireless carrier may prohibit unlocked devices from operating on their network.
  • And now a word from our lawyers. Finally, in order to unlock your device, you need to agree to important legal terms, which can be found on the next page. Agreeing creates a binding legal agreement, so be sure to read them carefully.
Still undaunted? If you are ready to accept all the implications of unlocking the bootloader, which -except for Developer Edition devices- includes completely voiding your device's warranty, then let's get started.

NOTE: You will be asked to sign up/register for My Moto Care to continue on.

We also still don't know:

1. Who is your carrier?
2. What did fastboot getvar all say?​

I'm not advocating anything but caution here--I also don't have a Turbo 2 to guide you through recovering should anything go awry.

Upvote 0
The only option even related to the bootloader is "restart bootloader" on the boot menu (hold vol-down and power)
and that link does not have my phone on that list
here's some info on my device
and i cant dissable fastboot

Attachments

• tmp_6353-Screenshot_20160719-203416282440963.png
    tmp_6353-Screenshot_20160719-203416282440963.png
    411.9 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones