• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting exploit for a stock 2.2 phone is now available!

If I understand Unrevoked Forever correctly, IMO it contains a critical drawback that until I understand it better, I'll have to hold off for awhile. If I understand the implications of permanent S-off, and the ability to retain root regardless of exploit patches by HTC/Sprint, that also means that it can no longer be returned to S-on, correct?

If that's true, and ignoring the potential security implications involved, doesn't that also mean that the phone can never be returned to true stock, which Sprint can then detect and thereby deny warranty? Of course, we all know that rooting voids warranty to begin with, but we could always RUU and hide it. Permanent S-off changes the whole ball game, doesn't it? (please forgive if this has already been discussed, I confess to not thoroughly searching beforehand).

Upvote 0
ok so I am having an issue. I have successfully downgraded from Android 2.2 to android 2.1 using this method. Everything worked 100%. Only thing is now I am not able to sign into my google talk or anything else. I was finally able to get to sign into my google account but thats it. I can open the market and search but i mostly get a network error code. When it does work I go to click to download any application, and it just gets stuck on starting download or downloading. It's been this way for 2 days now and I am not sure as to what to do. I have done several hard resets. tried wiping the phone and using the recovery program to reinstall the pc36img file but after everything starts up it's still the same thing. I have also tried updating the PRL's and the profile. Those update fine and all of sprints apps and serviced work 100%. So is it me or is it a google server issue thinking i'm still on android 2.2??? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I had the same thing happen to me on my motorola droid when downgrading from android 2.2 to 2.1. I downgraded, then opened up the market and did a test download. then would use Sprecovery to restore my nandroid backup and bam the market would work. so any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to go back to stock froyo. Thanks again in advance.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I need to leave it as S-OFF? I want to go back to as close as factory/normal as possible. I used RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.26.651.6_Radio_2.15.00.07.28_NV_1.40_release_140444_signed.exe to get back to 2.2. When I boot and try to do a recovery, I get the aforementioned red triangle.

Leave S-OFF, it's you way back in to recovery if you ever get an update that locks you out of root.

I used HTC-OTA-3.26.651.6-Final-Froyo-Rooted-Odexed-netarchy-signed.zip to get back to 2.2, and flashed the Radio-2.15 and Wimax26023 updates separately afterward.

http://www642.megaupload.com/files/...Final-Froyo-Rooted-Odexed-netarchy-signed.zip
http://qap.la/~netarchy/Radio-2.15.00.07.28.zip
http://qap.la/~netarchy/Wimax26023.zip

Upvote 0
If I understand Unrevoked Forever correctly, IMO it contains a critical drawback that until I understand it better, I'll have to hold off for awhile. If I understand the implications of permanent S-off, and the ability to retain root regardless of exploit patches by HTC/Sprint, that also means that it can no longer be returned to S-on, correct?

If that's true, and ignoring the potential security implications involved, doesn't that also mean that the phone can never be returned to true stock, which Sprint can then detect and thereby deny warranty? Of course, we all know that rooting voids warranty to begin with, but we could always RUU and hide it. Permanent S-off changes the whole ball game, doesn't it? (please forgive if this has already been discussed, I confess to not thoroughly searching beforehand).
Unrevoked has a -S on package you can run too. Do that +RUU and it should look pretty vanilla.

Read up under FAQs:

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever

"How can this be removed or undone if I need to take my phone in for service?
Download the latest ''S-ON'' tool to a temporary location and follow the installation instructions above to run it. Once your phone is S-ON, you may lose root permanently if you install an official update "

I read that as... Unrevoked forever is 'forever' unless you tell it different. It looks very 'un-doable' to me.

Reactions: uminchu
Upvote 0
please somebody help....I used this method on XDA forums and just now Went back from Android 2.2 to stock android 2.1. this is the site... xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G
I now get a message when trying to sign into my google account "can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" I need help as I have not been able to use data hardly at all in the past 2-3 days now. thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
please somebody help....I used this method on XDA forums and just now Went back from Android 2.2 to stock android 2.1. this is the site... xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G
I now get a message when trying to sign into my google account "can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" I need help as I have not been able to use data hardly at all in the past 2-3 days now. thanks in advance.

Did you update your radios?

Do this.. bring up Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information.

What does it say under 'Baseband version', 'PRI Version' and 'PRL Version'?

Also, can you find a wifi hot spot and see if you can connect through it OK? That would tell us if it's a 3G/4G thing or not at least.

Upvote 0
Did you update your radios?

Do this.. bring up Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information.

What does it say under 'Baseband version', 'PRI Version' and 'PRL Version'?

Also, can you find a wifi hot spot and see if you can connect through it OK? That would tell us if it's a 3G/4G thing or not at least.

ok first and foremost and I can tell you that I'm using the exact same software that my wifes stock Evo has so thats why i'm so confused but here you go. Baseband= 2.05.00.06.10, PRI=1.40_003, PRL=60670.

Haven't been able to try Wi-fi but I will try that next time i get near someone who has unlocked wi-fi. weird thing is I have working data on any and all sprint applications, including the update prompt to android 2.2 OTA. so i'm really baffled on this one. thanks agin

Upvote 0
ok first and foremost and I can tell you that I'm using the exact same software that my wifes stock Evo has so thats why i'm so confused but here you go. Baseband= 2.05.00.06.10, PRI=1.40_003, PRL=60670.

Haven't been able to try Wi-fi but I will try that next time i get near someone who has unlocked wi-fi. weird thing is I have working data on any and all sprint applications, including the update prompt to android 2.2 OTA. so i'm really baffled on this one. thanks agin

Hmm, if you're getting an upgrade to 2.2 prompt, you're not on 2.2. I was assuming you had made it all the way to 2.2.

Are you actually on 2.2?

Upvote 0
Hmm, if you're getting an upgrade to 2.2 prompt, you're not on 2.2. I was assuming you had made it all the way to 2.2.

Are you actually on 2.2?

I was on android 2.2 for a while. as soon as there was a way to downgrade back to 2.1 I did so.

P.S. Weird thing is my wifes phone which has stock android 2.1 (i was able to stop her before upgrading to android 2.2) has the exact same everything when i look into about phone and software. so I'm not sure what the issue is, but her phones works 100%

Upvote 0
I was on android 2.2 for a while. as soon as there was a way to downgrade back to 2.1 I did so.

P.S. Weird thing is my wifes phone which has stock android 2.1 (i was able to stop her before upgrading to android 2.2) has the exact same everything when i look into about phone and software. so I'm not sure what the issue is, but her phones works 100%

If you are sure you are on Android 2.1 1.47.x, try this procedure:

How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers

This will keep you 2.1, but when you're done, test it and make sure everything works. If it does, then you can either stay there, or flash a rooted 2.2 ROM, which I have in my sig. Remember to flash radio and wimax after the 2.2 ROM, rebooting after both.

Upvote 0
If you are sure you are on Android 2.1 1.47.x, try this procedure:

How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers

This will keep you 2.1, but when you're done, test it and make sure everything works. If it does, then you can either stay there, or flash a rooted 2.2 ROM, which I have in my sig. Remember to flash radio and wimax after the 2.2 ROM, rebooting after both.

ok I will try this. Currently i'm using my wifes phone to post here. Strangely enough though I re-updated to Android 2.2 and had the same problem.

Upvote 0
ok I will try this. Currently i'm using my wifes phone to post here. Strangely enough though I re-updated to Android 2.2 and had the same problem.

That procedure only works on 2.1. So you need to go back to 2.1 first before trying. Course, there's a chance that when you first go back, you get a fully working 2.1 already.

Upvote 0
That procedure only works on 2.1. So you need to go back to 2.1 first before trying. Course, there's a chance that when you first go back, you get a fully working 2.1 already.

Well I am already on android 2.1 so idk. But good news is that after 3 days things are back online. I didn't even get to try the precedure mentioned above. So I guess it was something on googles side of things. Thanks again to all and good luck to those who jump in.

Upvote 0
when i put these into cmd they get no files detected

adb push flash_image /data/local/
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/

and i don't see them in the tools folder, anybody have any clue what to do with this

Re-read the instructions and follow them to the letter.

In the beginning you download these files and extract them to the tools folder.

Please read the instructions carefully. You can make your phone into a paperweight if you mess this up.

Upvote 0
Also worth noting that the malware app installed announcing that it wanted SMS access when in fact it was supposedly only a media player.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/148747-any-evo-users-hit-android-trojan-yet.html

Hi EarlyMon,

I was curious about possibly trying the root only now I have 2.2OTA. Is there a simple explanation about whether or not if it can be done without being a software developer? Does anyone have a simple one touch app a user could purchase that would either do it for you or walk you through the process? I didn't want to read through every post just to find out it was going to be sooo far over my head. Thank you for your valuable time.:eek: Charles.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones