• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting exploit for a stock 2.2 phone is now available!

I was getting a lot of that "device not found" nonsense in Windows 7 x64. I did manage to get halfway through this procedure, but when it came time to install Unrevoked I had communication problems between the PC and the phone (yes, I installed the driver, etc.).

So I booted my laptop up into Ubuntu Linux and ran Unrevoked from there. Completely painless. Updated to the rooted Froyo, updated the radio and Wimax, and all's great.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I did that properly .
Is their anything else I could be doing wrong or may it be my computer ?

Sounds like the problem I had when first working with sdk. I didn't have the right driver and it took me forever to get it working.

When you have cmd directed to the sdk tools folder type "adb devices" (without " ") and see if it pulls anything up. I should say "list of devices attached" then below that some numbers and letters followed by "device". If it doesn't say that you need to either get the right driver installed or uninstall and reinstall the sdk.

What eventually worked for me was to uninstall all the drivers for the evo and completely remove HTC Sync. I then installed the SDK but I added this driver: dc50 Hideaway: ADB Driver for HTC Evo 4G. Again this was a while ago and I would think google would have added the evo driver to the sdk by now.

Upvote 0
Hi EarlyMon,

I was curious about possibly trying the root only now I have 2.2OTA. Is there a simple explanation about whether or not if it can be done without being a software developer? Does anyone have a simple one touch app a user could purchase that would either do it for you or walk you through the process? I didn't want to read through every post just to find out it was going to be sooo far over my head. Thank you for your valuable time.:eek: Charles.

The short answer to your question is "no". Once you get back to 2.1 then I think "simpleroot" is pretty painless....but I honestly have no idea. I got almost all the way to 2.1 via this procedure(pretty easy) and then got some "Update is old" message and have not tried again although I will at some point. The procedure on the xda site takes you thru downgrading to 2.1 and then using the unrevoked procedure....since the devs over there support those guys. There are people that get back to 2.1 and then use "simpleroot".

Getting down to 2.1 is not that hard. I was right there. Just follow the steps. And then maybe ask Novox about the simpleroot method from there.

Upvote 0
The short answer to your question is "no". Once you get back to 2.1 then I think "simpleroot" is pretty painless....but I honestly have no idea. I got almost all the way to 2.1 via this procedure(pretty easy) and then got some "Update is old" message and have not tried again although I will at some point. The procedure on the xda site takes you thru downgrading to 2.1 and then using the unrevoked procedure....since the devs over there support those guys. There are people that get back to 2.1 and then use "simpleroot".

Getting down to 2.1 is not that hard. I was right there. Just follow the steps. And then maybe ask Novox about the simpleroot method from there.

Thanks Flyjbaker,

My main reason for doing the root is wirless tether. So I need to go back to 2.1 first. So what does unrevoked do? Will that give me wireless tether with the existing 2.2 OTA? But isn't unrevoked not a permanent thing if I do a manual reset? Thanks for all of your help.:)

Upvote 0
Thanks Flyjbaker,

My main reason for doing the root is wirless tether. So I need to go back to 2.1 first. So what does unrevoked do? Will that give me wireless tether with the existing 2.2 OTA? But isn't unrevoked not a permanent thing if I do a manual reset? Thanks for all of your help.:)

unrevoked 3 is not permanant, unrevokedforever is, but i think once you follow the instructions to revert to 2.1 simpleroot is the way to go, but that is my opinion. When i first rooted, i tried unrevoked and it wouldnt work, so my opinion may be tainted

Reactions: ceabbott2
Upvote 0
unrevoked 3 is not permanant, unrevokedforever is, but i think once you follow the instructions to revert to 2.1 simpleroot is the way to go, but that is my opinion. When i first rooted, i tried unrevoked and it wouldnt work, so my opinion may be tainted

Definitely tainted :) follow the instructions and Unrevoked 3 + Unrevoked Forever is both easy AND permanent (at least, until you want to revert back to stock.)

Upvote 0
Thanks Flyjbaker,

If you are on 2.2 now, you need to downgrade to 2.1 to root it.

Once on 2.1, Unrevoked 3 is one method to root your phone.

Unrevoked Forever will let you flash any rom you like, even if you were to accept an OTA upgrade.

Once on 2.1 and rooted if you want 2.2 + wifi tether (needs root), you need to first flash a rooted 2.2 ROM and then install the wifi tether application.

This is exactly what I did on my phone. Downgraded to 2.1, rooted with Unrevoked3, installed Unrevoked Forver, flashed a Rooted stock 2.2 ROM, installed Wifi tether. It works great :cool:.

This is the rom I used:

HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

Upvote 0
If you are on 2.2 now, you need to downgrade to 2.1 to root it.

Once on 2.1, Unrevoked 3 is one method to root your phone.

Unrevoked Forever will let you flash any rom you like, even if you were to accept an OTA upgrade.

Once on 2.1 and rooted if you want 2.2 + wifi tether (needs root), you need to first flash a rooted 2.2 ROM and then install the wifi tether application.

This is exactly what I did on my phone. Downgraded to 2.1, rooted with Unrevoked3, installed Unrevoked Forver, flashed a Rooted stock 2.2 ROM, installed Wifi tether. It works great :cool:.

This is the rom I used:

HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

Thanks Shawnz for all the help...and also to everyone else. Shawnz anyway you could fly in and hold my hand and walk me through the first root?:eek: You know my trepidation is because I have never done anything like this before either computer or phone. I am a little technically adept but in no way do I understand what I am doing. I always tell my kids don't mess with ANYTHING you don't FULLY UNDERSTAND. This is my problem. I wish I understood what I am doing:thinking:. I need to find a video or one step paid app that does it for me. I will root I just don't know when I will take the plunge.

Thanks again Shawnz and everybody.:)

Upvote 0
Thanks Shawnz for all the help...and also to everyone else. Shawnz anyway you could fly in and hold my hand and walk me through the first root?:eek: You know my trepidation is because I have never done anything like this before either computer or phone. I am a little technically adept but in no way do I understand what I am doing. I always tell my kids don't mess with ANYTHING you don't FULLY UNDERSTAND. This is my problem. I wish I understood what I am doing:thinking:. I need to find a video or one step paid app that does it for me. I will root I just don't know when I will take the plunge.

Thanks again Shawnz and everybody.:)
I'll make a video if I can pry one of my other family member's Evos from their hands and root theirs. Right now they don't have a need to root so it's kind of a 'ain't broke, don't fix it' deal. It's also kind of nice to have a 'control' phone to reference so I can see if I'm lagging behind in updates or anything vs an unrooted phone. Evo #3 just got lost/stolen and insurance gave us the finger (claim too soon) so we're figuring out what to do to get it replaced. It sucks.

I'm probably going to try the latest Fresh ROM this weekend.

The hardest part of the current room process is getting the Android SDK installed and the drivers working right for the phone. The SDK install is pretty straight forward but it just kind of completes and I was waiting for something to happen.

I just tried ADB as-per the XDA rooting instructions and low and behold it worked.

If you can get that far, just follow the instructions to the letter and you'll get there. The Airplane mode toggle till you get the # prompt took a few attempts on my phone but once I saw it I was in business.

Upvote 0
im a evo noob but i have had a g1 but i need a something answered

if i follow tis process until i get to 2.1 could i just use the simple root method ? Everyone is saying unrevoked is permanent thats would of the question for repair and warranty reasons

Thanks for any and all help
Sure! Root however you like.

Reactions: DroidDavi
Upvote 0
I'll make a video if I can pry one of my other family member's Evos from their hands and root theirs. Right now they don't have a need to root so it's kind of a 'ain't broke, don't fix it' deal. It's also kind of nice to have a 'control' phone to reference so I can see if I'm lagging behind in updates or anything vs an unrooted phone. Evo #3 just got lost/stolen and insurance gave us the finger (claim too soon) so we're figuring out what to do to get it replaced. It sucks.

I'm probably going to try the latest Fresh ROM this weekend.

The hardest part of the current room process is getting the Android SDK installed and the drivers working right for the phone. The SDK install is pretty straight forward but it just kind of completes and I was waiting for something to happen.

I just tried ADB as-per the XDA rooting instructions and low and behold it worked.

If you can get that far, just follow the instructions to the letter and you'll get there. The Airplane mode toggle till you get the # prompt took a few attempts on my phone but once I saw it I was in business.

Just an FYI but someone has done a Video walk-through on the Rooting 2.2.

[GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G - xda-developers

I used it today to root my EVO. Actually seeing the video really does help.

Good luck...:D

Upvote 0
Gonna ask this, because I'm a noob.

Using that guide you posted above... what would I need to do to flash the right kernal or whatever it's called in order to unlock the current framerate cap? That's my whole objective through rooting, I want that gone as best as I can get it, and the ability to have free WiFi tethering isn't a bad thing either. It's just... how do I know what kernals do what, and likewise with rom's.

Upvote 0
Gonna ask this, because I'm a noob.

Using that guide you posted above... what would I need to do to flash the right kernal or whatever it's called in order to unlock the current framerate cap? That's my whole objective through rooting, I want that gone as best as I can get it, and the ability to have free WiFi tethering isn't a bad thing either. It's just... how do I know what kernals do what, and likewise with rom's.

Either kernel in my sig will do the job. Both work well with the stock ROM.

Reactions: Thefoodman52
Upvote 0
I have a question, and I was wondering if someone would be gracious enough to help me out here:

I'm using this method to downgrade from 2.2, and I got to the point where you toggle airplane mode on/off, got the pound sign, then went into hboot. The problem I'm having is that none of the PC36IMG.zip files that I've downloaded seem to be working. When it searches for the zip in bootloader, I keep getting "no image" "wrong image", and something about PC36DIAG.zip. It happens so fast I really can't read everything that's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Upvote 0
Either kernel in my sig will do the job. Both work well with the stock ROM.

Groovy.jpg

Upvote 0
I have a question, and I was wondering if someone would be gracious enough to help me out here:

I'm using this method to downgrade from 2.2, and I got to the point where you toggle airplane mode on/off, got the pound sign, then went into hboot. The problem I'm having is that none of the PC36IMG.zip files that I've downloaded seem to be working. When it searches for the zip in bootloader, I keep getting "no image" "wrong image", and something about PC36DIAG.zip. It happens so fast I really can't read everything that's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Did you give it a moment??? I got the same messages but the message that followed soon after was "copying image" or something like that. How long did you wait?

Upvote 0
Did you give it a moment??? I got the same messages but the message that followed soon after was "copying image" or something like that. How long did you wait?

I waited several minutes, and it just put me right where I was before in the bootloader. As a side note, I've noticed in windows, that it says it's an invalid file. I've downloaded from regular link on the xda forum, and the mirror, and even directly to the phone itself, but none of them seem to work. Maybe I'm just unlucky?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones