• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the Fascinate Regardless of OS Version

Is there a reason to de-root my phone before giving it back to Verizon? They just sent me another phone because my USB icon shows that I'm physically connected to the cable once and a while, when I am not. While that is going on, charging shows a fully charged battery when I know it is not. These are pre-DL09 issues.

If there isn't an issue with turning in a rooted phone, then removing superuser shouldn't be an issue either, correct?

If there is an issue, what's the best method for de-rooting if I used this method to root?

SuD

they *probably* wont do anything to you if you leave it rooted...but the possibility exists that they nail you with a charge for voiding your warranty and getting a new phone

best bet is to unroot the phone before sending it back :)

Upvote 0
Is there a reason to de-root my phone before giving it back to Verizon? They just sent me another phone because my USB icon shows that I'm physically connected to the cable once and a while, when I am not. While that is going on, charging shows a fully charged battery when I know it is not. These are pre-DL09 issues.

If there isn't an issue with turning in a rooted phone, then removing superuser shouldn't be an issue either, correct?

If there is an issue, what's the best method for de-rooting if I used this method to root?

SuD

First off this is just my opinion some may say I'm crazy ;) but I would not return a rooted phone. I think the chances of them even checking out that it is rooted are very small but..... If somehow they did find it I would think you would be running the chance of them charging your account. Rooting voids your warranty so they would have the right to do so.

Upvote 0
I was told to backup my phone, and reset it during the diagnosis of trying to find resolution to my USB/charging issue. I told them that in order for me to properly backup the phone, I had to perform a process called rooting, and they said "That's okay. I understand", and that they were going to send me another phone anyway.

Since the phone is supposed to go back to Samsung (by mail), I don't expect them to know or care one way or the other after that. Since root happened after the complaint of failure, they can't state that it may have caused the failure.

But it shouldn't matter either way with the DI01 flash link from davidnmegan6907. As for the return, I need to. I don't want a phone that starts charging a nearly depleted battery and then 20 minutes later telling me that it's full. Something's wrong with the USB/charging circuit and I feel better getting it resolved now.

Thanks for the link.

SuD

Upvote 0
So what exactly does all this do for your phone? I know it allows you root access.... etc.... but what steps are next? Installing Kernels? Can you remove all the bloatware after this? I'm just trying to understand the whole process.

root alone will not allow you much beyond free wifi tethering and ad block

clockwork recovery is generally the next step that allows you to "flash" roms/kernels/themes/mods and to make *nandroid* backups (system images)

its not advisable to remove bloatware without having backed up in cwr first

Upvote 0
root alone will not allow you much beyond free wifi tethering and ad block

clockwork recovery is generally the next step that allows you to "flash" roms/kernels/themes/mods and to make *nandroid* backups (system images)

its not advisable to remove bloatware without having backed up in cwr first

Thanks. So basically cwr is where you do all the commands / flashing / backing up. Do you do all this from your phone or computer?

Upvote 0
Thanks. So basically cwr is where you do all the commands / flashing / backing up. Do you do all this from your phone or computer?

clockwork recovery takes the place of stock recovery....basically you put stuff you want to use on ur sdcard and then boot into cwr and "flash" it

*commands* are terminal/adb commands which are useful to know and can help you when your phone is really screwed up or when doing advanced things....adrynalyne has a great writeup in the root sticky

Upvote 0
wtf? I thought the phone is supposed to just act like a flash drive. i was planning on just putting the update and busybox through mycomputer. Is there some other way? Dropbox? BTW this came up after downloading the samsung drivers on the First Post

wtfav.png

Upvote 0
You need to read up on how to do this. You also have to follow the instructions in the first post. If you want to do the search there is a one click root that works with the new DL09 but I have never tried it.

Here is a link that covers the software install after the update
Samsung Fascinate Update Axes SD Card Mounting | Android Community

Yeah I've read all that... and I've read all the instructions in the first post. I just don't know if I should wait till they fix this thus being able to not install verizon bloatware on my computer or find some alternate way to manage the files on the sdcard.

Upvote 0
Yeah I've read all that... and I've read all the instructions in the first post. I just don't know if I should wait till they fix this thus being able to not install verizon bloatware on my computer or find some alternate way to manage the files on the sdcard.

I sent you a message telling you what my Skype was so I could help you out. Yesterday

Upvote 0
I sent you a message telling you what my Skype was so I could help you out. Yesterday
Ya thanks I added you :)

I don't know who stickies threads but it seems like lots of threads should be stickied lol. I was browsing over at xda and found another useful newbie thread

Fascinate Beginner's Guide / FAQ - xda-developers

The more I read the less complicated all this is seeming.

Upvote 0
well I figured out how to get out of it lol.
Says:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:Signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Then did a search.... http://androidforums.com/fascinate-all-things-root/262576-clockwork.html

now finding solution...

the stock Samsung kernel is very sneaky and replaces clockwork on the next reboot...it seems to be most common with those who have updated using Verizon's OTA updates.
On FIRST boot into clockwork recovery, please flash your appropriate kernel of choice

Upvote 0
Fairly newbie here.....I've had my SF 2 months and I really like it. I have a wicked lag since I have started running ADW Launcher. I want to root it but I'm petrified that I will screw it up. I rely heavily on my phone for work and I do not have a landline.

Can it be "unrooted" is it an easy process?

Heather
http://androidforums.com/fascinate-...db-su-terminal-unroot-method.html#post1796729
Its pretty easy to unroot yes, take a few minutes of typing the lines in the above post.
Lag is pronounced when you run a 2nd launcher on top of TouchWiz like you do. The real key to all of this is just following the directions precisely. Once you get all the drivers and programs DL'd from post #1 it honestly takes just minutes to do this/root. From there ditching TW, and getting on a trimmed down rom and performance tweaked kernel will breathe more life into your SF which lets admit is decent at stock. But rooted and tweaked out it becomes much better, by a fair margin

Upvote 0
Ok well I think I'm rooted. I have super user in my apps and I've installed titanium backup. what other apps should I get? What are the next steps? I've tried running titanium backup but it says "sorry I could not acquire root privileges".

Also, is there any way to remove the usb debugging notification?

well actually I don't think this rooted me... super user is installed but I can't run titanium back up :[

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones