• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the new OTA 1.6 Update?

Still needing volunteers! Admittedly I've stooped to spamming anyone who's mentioned receiving the update, which is sadly still a rather low number. I'll only send the messages once, though.

Anyone who wants to help will do the following. You need to know how to use Odin and have ADB installed. You also need an SD card in the phone with at least 210MB free.

1. Flash BH_MAN's Recovery with Odin: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-behold-2/56494-bh_man-recovery-w-adb-support.html
  2. Download this dump script: http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=Vb7WXJa4
  3. Rename the file to 'dump-bh2.bat' and copy it into your Android-SDK/tools directory (where ADB is)
  4. If you don't want the ROM to be dumped to your desktop, then edit the dump path in the first block of the batch file.
  5. Restart the phone into Recovery mode by turning it off and holding Volume Down + Call + End
  6. Connect with USB and run 'dump-bh2.bat'

When the dump is finished (~3 minutes) you phone will reboot normally. Zip up the dump folder (on your desktop by default) and uploaded it somewhere.

When you post the link to your dump, please please specify your ROM/root history. This will help me isolate any bugs that may pop up.

PS: I don't mind reviewing multiple dumps from different volunteers, so go ahead an upload!

Upvote 0
Still needing volunteers! Admittedly I've stooped to spamming anyone who's mentioned receiving the update, which is sadly still a rather low number. I'll only send the messages once, though.

Anyone who wants to help will do the following. You need to know how to use Odin and have ADB installed. You also need an SD card in the phone with at least 210MB free.

1. Flash BH_MAN's Recovery with Odin: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-behold-2/56494-bh_man-recovery-w-adb-support.html
  3. Rename the file to 'dump-bh2.bat' and copy it into your Android-SDK/tools directory (where ADB is)
  4. If you don't want the ROM to be dumped to your desktop, then edit the dump path in the first block of the batch file.
  5. Restart the phone into Recovery mode by turning it off and holding Volume Down + Call + End

When the dump is finished (~3 minutes) you phone will reboot normally. Zip up the dump folder (on your desktop by default) and uploaded it somewhere.

When you post the link to your dump, please please specify your ROM/root history. This will help me isolate any bugs that may pop up.

PS: I don't mind reviewing multiple dumps from different volunteers, so go ahead an upload!

If I ever get the update I'm all over it. Hopefully either me or my gf will get it soon.

Also I was wondering, could people not be getting the OTA simply b/c flashed their phone in the first place?

Upvote 0
If I ever get the update I'm all over it. Hopefully either me or my gf will get it soon.

Also I was wondering, could people not be getting the OTA simply b/c flashed their phone in the first place?

no because I got the first update, and I flashed like crazy before I got it, and I used ODIN to go back to stock to recieve the first update that this phone got!

Upvote 0
Has anyone gotten the update who flashed back to stock with my ROM? The only possibility I can think of is a bug that my phone might have had - and since that was the source for the Odin package many others may have this hypothetical bug too..??

I got my phone replaced since then (screen failure and other oddness) and made a new dump, its just not uploaded yet. I'll package that up and see if it makes a difference for anyone.

Upvote 0
Has anyone gotten the update who flashed back to stock with my ROM? The only possibility I can think of is a bug that my phone might have had - and since that was the source for the Odin package many others may have this hypothetical bug too..??

I got my phone replaced since then (screen failure and other oddness) and made a new dump, its just not uploaded yet. I'll package that up and see if it makes a difference for anyone.

I'll try it out as I have nothing to lose, its still sitting with no custimization or personal apps installed.

Upvote 0
Same here. I got the same error Paul got about the Bad server. I flashed back using the Update rom. So yeah there is that possibility. Mine is ALSO sitting with a fresh reset with just Any Cut installed from market.

Here is an Odin package of just the system partition. Flash it using the One Package option.

2shared - download T939UVJA3-OnePackage-system-20100629.tar.zip

Let me know if this helps the OTA come down.

Update: the Odin package is signed, so if you flash it as a One Package you should not be getting any errors. If you do your download may be corrupted.

Reactions: Ohgami
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If I can get the update, where in ODIN do I put the (2)_recover.tar file? PDA?, OPS?... Do I need to flash a Behold_Partition.ops with it?
Thanks
Steve

You can put it in One Package (and mark the check box on the left for it).

Technically you can flash it in any section, but it will give you warnings b/c those parts expect the update tar's to include a complete set of images. Since you are only flashing one such image One Package is the most logical.

The .OPS file is very important. Its not flashed per say, but tells Odin how to write to your phone. With out it, or if you use a .ops file for a different device you can brick your phone. Make sure you are using the Behold 2 .ops file!

Upvote 0
Okay, wow guys, thanks for all this help on the phone. But I'm so confused. I have the new OTA update, and all I want to do is root it. So what do I exactly need? And I'm willing to help out with anything, like testing or something.

1. Flash BH_MAN's Recovery with Odin: BH_MAN Recovery w/ ADB Support

Upvote 0
But I have a question, it doesn't totally re-flash the phone and reset everything, right?

No, it only dumps the phone's flash memory partitions (except userdata for obvious reasons).

The process will modify your Recovery image, but this mode is rarely used and you will be able to flash it back once we root the Kernel image and get another volunteer (so it may be a while).

I've run these procedures on my phone (alas I don't have 1.6 so not useful) and without rebooting into recovery mode its impossible to tell that anything was done to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones