• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S2 i777 - Android - When to no longer update ?A

Thanks to the folks here for having this forum. I participate at HoFo for my phone stuff mostly but I now have a problem ?

I have an ATT i777 that had the original OS on it. About a month ago I upgraded to I suppose what was the latest upgrade avail 4.0 ?

Last week phone would not stay on, or on only for a second or two. This from sleep / not using for a short time. Maybe got to the home screen on occasion....After some research, thought it was the Power Button so I sent it off to be replaced. Person said cold not get the screen on and didn't / felt it wasn't appropriate to put in a power button. He could not get the screen to turn on. Lastly. when I sent it, only a blink of white light across the buttons on the bottom.

Could be bricked ?? I ordered another i777 I'll get in a few days.

Question ? To what Android update can I do so there is not a problem ?

Or is 2.3.0 original all I can hope for ?

Don't want to brick another one. If in fact the month ago upgrade caused the problem ?

Thanks for your input.

What you are describing sounds like a bad battery or bad charging circuitry. Was a different battery tried? OR, did you try powering on while connected to a USB charger? IF you were getting some kind of reaction to pressing power, I don't think it is a faulty button.

It is highly unlikely that the update bricked your device. If the update were to cause serious problems, it would have been immediately and not a month later. Whatever the problem, it would appear to be a coincidence.

Upvote 0
The battery reads 3.83 v and did show the green battery icon charging via usb before it died. Did usb also to try to get it working as well as YT and the forums. I have not yet tried a new batt but will get one with my new i777.

I have an un-brick usb on the way...we'll see.

Thanks for your reply.

Addl - I did clean the contacts to the batt and the batt was not blown up.

Upvote 0
The battery reads 3.83 v and did show the green battery icon charging via usb before it died. Did usb also to try to get it working as well as YT and the forums. I have not yet tried a new batt but will get one with my new i777.

I have an un-brick usb on the way...we'll see.

Thanks for your reply.

Addl - I did clean the contacts to the batt and the batt was not blown up.

Try cleaning the USB port, as well as luntic59's suggestion to turn the phone on while plugged into a USB cable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones