• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S5 4g lte 3g issue

yelorsirhc

Lurker
Jan 31, 2017
I recently switched from Sprint to Verizon because I wanted better coverage. Purchased a brand new Galaxy S5 for Verizon from eBay. I verified with Samsung that the phone is real and not a knockoff. The issue I am having is this: If I'm very close to a tower then I have 4glte, If I get any distance away the phone goes to 3G then does not want to come back out of it unless I toggle airplane mode. What I don't understand is, when I am just sitting here...the phone will cycle between 4glte 3 or 4 bars then it will drop to 1x then back to 3g. If I put the sim card in a galaxy J1 from walmart the phone always stays in 4glte. Sometimes the phone will show 4glte until I try to use an app that requires data then it will drop to 3g and be almost unusable. Is there a defect with these S5's radios? Why does a 50 dollar phone from wal mart not have this issue but this S5 is going crazy? I went to Verizon and had a new sim card put in in case that was causing the problem. It didn't really fix anything. I guess I just don't understand why the phone would downgrade to a weak 3g connection vs staying on a weak 4glte connection. I believe it is an issue with the phone itself as I get constant 4glte signal with my other device and same sim card. The video link included is a screen recording showing the problem I am having. This switching occurred inside within about a 5 foot space. As you can see in the video it seems to show a 4glte connection until you actually try to use some data then it kicks itself to 3g and is basically not usable. The device is not rooted and updated to 6.0.1
Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I am new here so this is my first posting.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones