• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Century

cleo76

Lurker
Dec 2, 2013
How can I choose as how to end a call? After a few seconds on talk, the screen turns black and I have no control of the screen to do anything else. Nothing is visible. When I want to disconnect, I turn the power button off. I can't locate on the phone settings as to what other options I have to end a call, like pressing the red phone (if it were visible). I can't do this now because even though I can talk, I can't see anything on the screen. It has always been like this but being new to Android, I didn't know it wasn't normal. Maybe the phone has always been defective.

Hi, I moved your thread into your device forum.

Usually, there is a sensor near the earpiece that turns the screen off. This is done to prevent accidental screen touches with your face while on a call.

Normally, once you move the phone away from your ear, the screen will come back on. If the screen is not coming back on, it may be defective like you said.

Maybe someone with the device can comment on how this function works for them and whether or not there are any settings that can be adjusted??

Upvote 0
I always use the speaker. I really do think it was defective but I didn't know it! Too late now. Have to live with it, I guess. Thank you for the reply. I wonder if the timing to put the phone on sleep mode due to inactivity has anything to do with it. I am going to look into extending the time and see if that works.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the timing to put the phone on sleep mode due to inactivity has anything to do with it. I am going to look into extending the time and see if that works.

I was actually going good to mention that as I was reading your reply. I'd say that's a decent option to explore. If you check your display settings, see what the sleep settings interval is. If it's low, it may just be turning off. Mine does that on calls as well.
Not sure off hand if there's a setting to not let the phone sleep while a call is active. But you may change your screen off timer to a higher setting or change it to never so that only the power button will lock the screen.

Upvote 0
Easy one!

Just press the 'wake up' (what's the real name?!) button on right side of phone while you're on call, and it reactivates the screen; press the red phone icon, and call terminates. A single, quick press-click-release is all it takes, and the screen will re-illuminate.

This same procedure also lets you reactivate screen to select the numeric keypad option, when you're on a phone tree that asks you to "press 2", etc.

The screen black-out is more likely a battery saving feature, than a bug. Keep your screen time-out as it is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones