• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Battery/MiniUSB)

zhinto

Lurker
Oct 13, 2013
Hi. I have been reading alot of the posts about issues related to the Note 2, and it only seem to confuse me with which issue i have myself.

So i will try to make a decent description about what's going on with mine.

I thought it was bricked, since i coulden't turn it on no matter how i tried (normally, recovery mode, etc) and the red light / battery would never appear when i plugged it.
But no! - I had the screen replaced by the reseller, and noted that i coulden't get it running, but they could.
Now, after they could, i said to myself i could aswell, and i found a way.
(but btw, when i send it in for screen repair, and it coulden't charge before that, and afterwards periodically, they must have charged the battery externally and therefor been aware of this issue?* Please confirm)
This might be the information needed to make the conclusion about what's wrong with my Note;

If i take out the battery, and charge it with another source, it will charge.
Then i can put the battery back in and turn it on, and the red light/battery will come when i plug it in! YAY, (now the sad thing) - it says it's connected and charging with 1800 current or so avg, but the battery will NOT charge, even if i shut it down, and turn of the screen so just the red light is on, it will deplete, and rather quickly.

Now this makes my logic conclude that we have an issue between charging phone to battery, and its not the battery, since it may charge in another Note, just fine, even when turned on.

So might it be the miniUSB connector? It responds to inserting something in it, and it recognizes my phone on PC, but it wont charge the battery.

I found a miniUSB connector for about 50$, but that it responds when not totally depleted, can that prove that the connector is not totally defect, but defect when it comes to charging?

I hope someone can ensure me. Best Regards!!!:)

The miniUSB has 4 pins, 2 for charging and 2 to connect the phone to the computer for data. Try a different miniUSB cord.

If that doesn't work, try a different charger. Or try your charger in a different phone.

If a different charger works, yours is bad. If your charger works in a different phone, either the charging port on the phone is defective or the charging circuit in the phone is bad.

Where you go from there is up to whether the phone is in warranty, how the dealer is willing to work with you, whether you're willing to charge the battery in an external charger, etc.

Upvote 0
The miniUSB has 4 pins, 2 for charging and 2 to connect the phone to the computer for data. Try a different miniUSB cord.

If that doesn't work, try a different charger. Or try your charger in a different phone.

If a different charger works, yours is bad. If your charger works in a different phone, either the charging port on the phone is defective or the charging circuit in the phone is bad.

Where you go from there is up to whether the phone is in warranty, how the dealer is willing to work with you, whether you're willing to charge the battery in an external charger, etc.
Hi Rukbat.

I tried with alot of different chargers, and with another phone, i can charge it externally. But it wont gain power when inserted, even though it SAYS it does(?).
Also i got an app down b4 it went out again, which stated it received current, still not gaining battery(not even shutoff).

I have ensurance on it, but the screen has been broken and the resellers own repairshop have taken it apart to change the screenglass or both(lcd was not broken)
May they have damaged the flex cable or does this seem like a faulty miniUSB connector? It might charge if i don't go below 50-60% i think, but this is yet to be proven, since im not sure if i ever charged it since i got it back from repair and gained power.
Tomorrow i will update if the phone can charge just 1% on another battery working fine in another Note2 atm.

EDIT; when at about 1% power and turned off, it may connect to my PC, but when the battery comes up, it gets stuck there, where it normally would make dots like it was charging, but the animation is stuck. If it has anything to add.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones