• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - black screen result of dropping on floor

tampaite

Lurker
Apr 16, 2016
Hello All,

I searched on the forum before creating this thread - need some clarification.

I dropped S3 onto the floor even though it had SEIDIO cover installed. The screen went from being 10% screen covered in a black to the entire screen going black in matter of few hours.

My options:
1. Get a "new" phone.
2. Get a replacement "Digitizer" which I think means getting a new screen, LCD etc.
3. Get a phone with bad ESN and try to replace the motherboard only

Need clarification on #3.

I have a AT&T unlocked phone (Model SGH-I747) that am using with a T-mobile MVNO(Lycamobile).

Do I need the same phone model to swap mother board or can I buy any GSM supported S3 and swamp motherboards?

Also, am still able to get phone calls(have to blindly swipe to accept them) - Is there a way to view text message etc even though the screen is blank?
I suppose I can't install any apps like air driod to view messages.

All 3 are good options.
1- A new phone or good used will allow you to run a more updated Android version. 4.4.2 is as high as the S3 will get unless you root and install a custom ROM. There are a few good and stable 5.1 Roms available for the i747.

2- If you like the S3 you can usually get a replacement digitizer and replace it yourself for around $80 or less with shipping.

3- Swapping you motherboard into another GSM S3 is also pretty easy. I have put i747's in T999L's and vice versa. CDMA S3 frames are different and have to be modified with Drimel tool and still a pain to get it to fit properly.

Check what is available at Swapa. Best place for good used phones and also their Bone Yard for parts phones.

https://swappa.com

Reactions: svim and tampaite
Upvote 0
2- If you like the S3 you can usually get a replacement digitizer and replace it yourself for around $80 or less with shipping.

3- Swapping you motherboard into another GSM S3 is also pretty easy. I have put i747's in T999L's and vice versa. CDMA S3 frames are different and have to be modified with Drimel tool and still a pain to get it to fit properly.

Thanks Jfalls.

I saw few online videos and it looks like swapping a motherboard is simpler than having to change the digitizer.

Any thoughts on if it's possible to push an app to view my current text messages?

I used Samsung Kies to back up the data.

Upvote 0
Update:

There is an option called "screen mirroring" if you have a samsung smart TV or any media player(like WDTV live) that am briefly able to connect but connection is very poor.
I was hoping to install an app to allow me access to my phone log and text/whats app messaging etc.

I ended up ordering a used phone online but will continue to look for replacement digitizer over the next few weeks.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones