• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S3 KILLS SD CARDS!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. It sounds very reasonable. I see many people theorizing that the problem is fairly limited to 32 and 64 gb SanDisk. The primary reason behind that is most likely those are the most common sizes people are using.

As an aside, I am not sure of forum rules here, but it is generally frowned upon to link to other forums. Since the post was your own you could simply cut and paste it.

My Kingston 4GB had the issue. But who knows whether it was just dying on its own.

Upvote 0
I have had not one problem with my 16GB SD card in the S3. Sounds like its your phone

To put your word in a more correct statement - you haven't have problems yet. With emphasize on YET. There is a good chance your sd card will develope some symptoms over time, since my card worked flawlessly for over 6 weeks. These cards usually fail after certain amount of time, not right away. Also there is another point in reference to card size. I actually noticed most failed sd cards are 32gb, followed by 64gb. Sandisk brand. :) Might be due to sales volume.

Here are my experiences after almost a week since having sd card started failing on me and reformatting it to exfat. First few days, I thought the problem actually went away, but as anticipated the remounting of sd card started reoccurring, thought only twice so far in 3 days or so and no data lost. So for now I am just going to ignore it.

I should be getting 4.1.2 on my Note II any day now. Anyone had these problems with new FW? Kind of hoping Samsung might have tweaked some sd card settings.

Upvote 0
Well,I got really lucky today. I had bought my 32 gb SanDisk from Costco, but lost the receipt. I went in to the store today to do some shopping and see if I could get a copy of the receipt. I brought the card too. When they printed the receipt I realized I had bought the card much more recently than I realized, on October 15th. I commented to the CSR how I had blown the 90 day return window by just a few days. She told me not to worry about it and took it back anyway.

Fool that I am,I bought a new one on sale for $24. I haven't put it in yet, because I am not sure what file system I should format it to. What seems to be the consensus on the best format?

Upvote 0
So far I've had three 64GB Sandisk cards fail, and I've had them replaced or refunded by the retailer. What I'm concerned about is that if Sandisk decides not to honour warranty claims on the strength of growing evidence (such as the tech report BabelFish received) that the device i.e. the S3 caused the failure, then the retailers will also pass on this refusal to replace or refund, saying "Sorry, but your device broke it."

Upvote 0
I became the latest victim of this yesterday. The phone no longer detects my 32 GB card. I put my 16 GB in and it works fine. I put my 32 GB card in my laptop and it also does not detect the card.

A victim of what? A card failing? What does that have to do with this phone, anyway?

Does anyone really believe that all these cards fail because of this phone? Does no one realize that cards had failed before S3 was released and will keep doing it long after the phone is discontinued?

Upvote 0
A victim of what? A card failing? What does that have to do with this phone, anyway?

Does anyone really believe that all these cards fail because of this phone? Does no one realize that cards had failed before S3 was released and will keep doing it long after the phone is discontinued?

It just seems very odd that when people (myself included) had 16GB cards in there were no problems. As soon as they switched to 32 or 64GB cards they start failing. I had my 16 GB card for 6 months with no issues and it's still working. Put a 32 GB card in and it fails in 1 month.

Upvote 0
It just seems very odd that when people (myself included) had 16GB cards in there were no problems. As soon as they switched to 32 or 64GB cards they start failing. I had my 16 GB card for 6 months with no issues and it's still working. Put a 32 GB card in and it fails in 1 month.

I have had a 32GB card in mine for half a year now with no issues. This thread is just example of how distorted the Internet is.

You have a thread on the most popular Android forum in the world and a thread in an area for S3 users, which is the best selling phone in the world too, and you are telling me, that 100 users reporting problems with uSD cards means the phone has something to do with the cards dying?

I did take up the subject of research methodology and I can assure you, that this thread represents nothing in regards to the S3 kiiling SD cards.

Upvote 0
I did take up the subject of research methodology and I can assure you, that this thread represents nothing in regards to the S3 kiiling SD cards.

Did you read BabelFish's post earlier in which he links to a post of his on another forum where he relayed a technical report sent to him from Sandisk of a corrupted SDCard he had returned for refund? It identified that the disk had become corrupted and unusable because of an unstable supply of power from the device during the writing process.

I think that this represents something in regard to the S3 killing SD cards.

Check the number of S3s sold worldwide and you will have an answer.

But of the number of S3s sold worldwide we have no idea how many cards they have corrupted that have simply been returned by people who don't post on forums about android phones, or don't suspect the phone and instead just assume it is the fault of the card. Inquiring of Sandisk how many cards they have had returned would paint a more accurate picture, but they're not likely to release any such damning information that would make their product look susceptible to failure. Unless they could gather enough evidence to implicate Samsung in the failures.

And if Samsung realize there is a problem it is something they would obviously like kept quiet as they would be the cause of a loss of profit for Sandisk due to replacements and refunds. I wonder if Sandisk could claim damages from Samsung if it were proven that the S3 is damaging their Cards...

Upvote 0
Did you read BabelFish's post earlier in which he links to a post of his on another forum where he relayed a technical report sent to him from Sandisk of a corrupted SDCard he had returned for refund? It identified that the disk had become corrupted and unusable because of an unstable supply of power from the device during the writing process.

I think that this represents something in regard to the S3 killing SD cards.

But of the number of S3s sold worldwide we have no idea how many cards they have corrupted that have simply been returned by people who don't post on forums about android phones, or don't suspect the phone and instead just assume it is the fault of the card. Inquiring of Sandisk how many cards they have had returned would paint a more accurate picture, but they're not likely to release any such damning information that would make their product look susceptible to failure. Unless they could gather enough evidence to implicate Samsung in the failures.

And if Samsung realize there is a problem it is something they would obviously like kept quiet as they would be the cause of a loss of profit for Sandisk due to replacements and refunds. I wonder if Sandisk could claim damages from Samsung if it were proven that the S3 is damaging their Cards...

Basically both the guys above are wrong or right.....we don't know. Certainly possible that the Samsungs (or maybe just SOME Samsungs) have an ability to fry cards, or it could just be the law of large numbers combined with huge sample bias. When you get the error sitting at home, what do you do? Google it, which brings you to this thread, after which you read the thread and then post that you also had the issue. We've had a few playas post "I have not had a problem, therefore it couldn't be the phone" which is just as silly of a statement too.

Upvote 0
I think i've got a similar problem. last week I updated my galaxy s3 to jellybean 4.1.2. a few days later i got the 'damaged sd card' error. after having having (re)formatted the about three times now, I'm considering a full system reboot.... it's got to be the system. I tried two different sd cards of different sizes. both of them can't be faulty, I'm sure...

Upvote 0
I think i've got a similar problem. last week I updated my galaxy s3 to jellybean 4.1.2. a few days later i got the 'damaged sd card' error. after having having (re)formatted the about three times now, I'm considering a full system reboot.... it's got to be the system. I tried two different sd cards of different sizes. both of them can't be faulty, I'm sure...

The S3 is known to kill sd cards.

Upvote 0
Basically both the guys above are wrong or right.....we don't know. CMC24.0583ertainly possible that the Samsungs (or maybe just SOME Samsungs) have an ability to fry cards, or it could just be the law of large numbejustrs combined with huge sample bias. When you get the error sitting at home, what do you do? The barGoogle it, which brings you to this thread, after which you read the thread and then post that you also had the issue. We've had a few playas post "I have not had a problem, therefore it couldn't be the phone" which is just as silly of a statement too.

As I said in my original post, my Samsung 16gb card was originally in my first Samsung phone a Moment, then in my Epic, then in my Epic Touch all without any problems whatsoever. I activated my S3 on Black Friday and started having problems just before Christmas. I bought a PNY 32GB card at best buy and took the supplied adapter and put the bad card in a Windows pc which allowed me to retrieve all my files from it to put on my new card. So far, there haven't been any more problems (knock on wood). I thought it was caused by heat, but now, I'm not so sure. Think I'll put it in my Touch just to see if it still can be read
In it just for s&gs

Upvote 0
I had a 16gb card in since release date, changed it a few weeks ago for a 32gb sandisk ultra. no problems. and my 16 gb sandisk was a few years old

My question here is why on earth do you use/need a class10 card? They are extremely expensive, and its use is for some specific applications - like if you have a 20MP camera and you have to shoot at full resolution in continuous mode at 10 frames per sec, etc. (Write speed required will be over 90MBPS here, after the camera buffer becomes full the processing will stop) In contrast a movie even at HD resolutions and frame rate of 30 requires much less speeds!

I think class10 has an access speed of over 90 MB per second, and for all applications on the phone you dont even need 10 MBPS.

Would like to hear others' points of view.

Upvote 0
Because that's what's for sale! SanDisk does not make a slower card in 32gb. And doesn't it make sense to buy a faster card now that will last, rather then replace it when phone speeds catch up?

And before shooting your mouth about statistics maybe you should verify them instead of telling us what you think sd card speeds are.

6u3apesa.jpg

My brand new SanDisk 32gb class 10

Upvote 0
...and you are telling me, that 100 users reporting problems with uSD cards means the phone has something to do with the cards dying?
YES ... that is the case.

I have used four different smart phones, and three different cameras, all using SD cards -- and THIS phone is the ONLY device that has trashed SD cards. So, in my experience, YES, the phone has something to do with the cards dying -- it's killed them!

Even if only 100 units experience problems, out of 10 million phones, while that is a very small percentage, that is not zero -- it is not "nothing".

It IS statistically insignificant (the term you should have used instead of "represents nothing") and, because of that, it is very unlikely that Samsung would commit any time or resources to fixing this problem.

But, for those of us who HAVE been affected by this, saying it "represents nothing" is being insulting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones