• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S5 text messenger cannot vibrate when phone set to vibrate!

Juggernaut62

May 31, 2012
Hi,

I am shocked that this most basic function is not present in my galaxy S5 phone.
All this time, I thought I was doing something wrong.

There is no way to make the Samsung Galaxy S5 messenger application vibrate only when the entire phone is put into vibrate mode!

Sure if you turn vibrate on in the messenger application, it will vibrate each and every time, even when the phone vibrate setting is turned off, but that is not desirable.

Just like with all other apps, what we need is for the phone to make an audio alert when the phone is in regular audio mode, and for the app to give a vibration alert when the phone is turned into the vibrate setting.
My 10 year old "dumb" phone did this without a problem, but this Samsung phone cannot.

I have confirmed this with both Verizon and direct with Samsung itself. Samsung claims to have some sort of fix coming in the next few months.

I have also tried other messenger apps, and they all have the same problem - so I suspect there is a problem with the functionality of this feature in the phone or OS itself.

Does anyone have any work-around for this in order to make it function as it should?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones