• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung GS2 has just stopped working....???

Northern2010

Nov 12, 2011
Afternoon all,

i am posting this problem after my Samsung GS2 has just stopped working for some strange reason......:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I recently upgraded my firmware via Kies Air (within the last month) and my current carrier is Orange EE, i think the version of android i upgraded to was 4.0.4.... I had been using this without any issues and yesterday was the first time i ran the battery down on my phone and it switched its self off....

Today i have tried to plug the phone into the charger and the phone doesn't even recognise the charger, i have also tried to turn the phone on after an hour of leaving the charger in but it wont turn on or even show any signs of life....:mad::mad::mad:

the phone is less than two years old and i would appreciate any help with this issue....

Kind regards

Northern

I would assume you are using the wall charger?
Since the battery was completely discharged, and based on what I have read in the past about my old device with this issue, the battery may need some sort of a "jump" start.
Now, what folks have done about this, is they would have to go to the store, and the folks have some sort of battery "jump" start device. Not kidding about this :p

I kinda relate this to your car battery going dead and needing a jump.

The other thing you can do is leave it plugged in for several hours and hope it wakes the battery up.

Another thing I have heard of folks doing, is putting the battery in the freezer for about 30 minutes, placing it back into the phone and without turning it on, plug it in.

Lastly, you just may be due for a new battery because of this total discharge may have killed it.

I was also thinking, perhaps plugging it in, unplugging it and doing that several times.
Plug it in for a couple seconds, unplugging it for a couple seconds, plugging it in for a couple seconds...etc....

Upvote 0
The other thing you can do is leave it plugged in for several hours and hope it wakes the battery up.

Another thing I have heard of folks doing, is putting the battery in the freezer for about 30 minutes, placing it back into the phone and without turning it on, plug it in.

Lastly, you just may be due for a new battery because of this total discharge may have killed it.

I was also thinking, perhaps plugging it in, unplugging it and doing that several times.
Plug it in for a couple seconds, unplugging it for a couple seconds, plugging it in for a couple seconds...etc....

Freezer? For real lmao :p

I've had this problem on all my devices, specifically my old s2

What you need to do is plug it in without attempting to turn it on for an hour minimum.

If that doesn't work, what Mike said about it may have killed your battery since it is so old may be true.

Reactions: Northern2010
Upvote 0
Evening

Tried all suggestions above regarding the battery (charging it for hours on end, plugging and replugging it in etc) none have worked.....

I did how ever try a mates battery in my phone and low and behold it sprang to life.... The issue was the battery and not the phone.....

Phone is back to life, thanks again

Northern

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Dustwun77

I never tried the battery in the freezer tip...... I just order a new battery off the net...

However i am now experiencing new issues

1. popped the new battery in the phone and plugged it in to charge (let the phone off) The phone sprang to life displaying battery icon and an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle and the phone wont switch on....???

2. The phone finally switched on and started to charge, then after a couple of mins the phone beeped stating charging stopped phone over heating...????

3. The phone then powered down and the exclamation mark returned in battery icon with a thermometer.

Can anyone tell me is they have experienced these problems before and what could be the cause The phone or battery....?????

Any help is appreciated

Northern

Upvote 0
Hello. Sounds to me like you may need to do a little swapping to figure out if the problem is the new battery or the phone or the charger.
If you could use your friend's battery again, see if it acts bad. If it does, see if it does with his charger and his battery and your phone. You get me? A process of elimination.
I heard that battery trick worked. Wanted to see if it did, lol.
I'd bring it back to room temperature before installing. Don't need condensation shorting anything out.
I'm hoping you just got a reject battery. I wouldn't use it any more till I knew it wasn't bad.
Let us know please.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Just tried an alternative charger and still having the same problems.....!!!!!! I am using charger straight out of the wall that came with the device and ive tried the usb cable as well, still no good.

I will attempt to hijack my mates battery tomorrow whilst at work and try and charge the phone with his battery this should tell me if its the battery or phone.....

I will let you know....

Thanks again to all have took the time to help me with this infuriating problem..

Northern

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Further to the above

I tried alternative battery but to no avail, the phone still suffers the same problems when i try and charge it (yellow triangle with exclamation mark and temperature gauge) The phone then stops charging....!!!!!! I also tried using the phone with a fully charged battery but the phone eats the battery barely lasting a few hours with no usage.....

Any more ideas....?????

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post Slug..... I have read the post and its seems i am suffering the issues as Heebie Geebie on the spurious battery temperature warning post.

I have tried re installing an earlier edition firmware (as my phone worked fine prior to the update) but Kies Air claims i have latest version and doesnt give me an alternative option.

My current Android version 4.0.4

Kernal 3.0.15-1187368 dpi@DELL228#3 SMP PREEMPT

Firmware PDA:LPJ/PHONE:LPE/CSC:LPJ (ORA)

Anyone any ideas please

As always i thank you in advance

Northern

Upvote 0
Hey Northern!

Be nice if this pans out to a fix. Looks like we have some options. You could go to that forum, for your phone, and post the question anew in a new thread or on the end of the one Slug posted. Or, I could just move the whole thread over there?

Let me know your desire, I hope this works out for you! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones