• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Coating Defect?

First, let me make it clear that I'm not looking for any freebies or excuses to make Samsung give me a new phone. I want your honest opinion about whether or not you thing the screen coating is defective. Within 1 week of having my Note, the large fingerprint looking thing appeared on my screen. I always kept the phone in a pocket by itself and I always kept a micofiber cloth with the phone to keep it free of grease and smudges. Which, at first, is what I thought that big finger print looking thing was. I couldn't get it clean. I also noticed that it felt different than the rest of the phone. Turns out it's a huge scratch. I have no idea how it formed. I took it back to Best Buy where I got the phone and they guy basically scoffed at me when I said I didn't think Gorilla Glass should scratch so easily, so quickly, with such careful use.

So I put it in an Otterbox to avoid any further scratches. The scratch, thankfully, was invisible when inside the Otterbox. This past weekend I took the phone out of the Otterbox and carried it in my pocket (empty pocket) while I was out to dinner with friends. Within about 5 hours of being out of the case, the smaller smudgy scratch formed. Why are these things continually forming?!

I realize you're taking me at my word here - so do me a favor and answer this question as though you believe me to be as careful with my property as I say I am. Little nicks or scratches I'm okay with. I realize Gorilla glass isn't scratch proof. But the glass on my phone isn't even resistant!

Would you say I'm no where near as careful as I think I am, or would you agree that the coating on this phone is sub-par? I could just live with it - but the scratch feels really crappy to the touch and in some cases is actually quite annoying. Thanks for help!

Attachments

• IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 83
Thanks guys. I know the pictures are blurry - I had a helluva time getting the scratches to show in a photograph. If you guys can't see them maybe I'm just being way too picky. Although I think they are a lot easier to see in person. Maybe I'll call Samsung and just see what they say - it won't hurt. It just bothered me that such large scratches would form so quickly and so seemingly easily.

Upvote 0
I've had two phones, now, with gorilla glass: The Atrix 4G and the Note. With both, the glass 'feels' pretty hard and very smooth. I've never used a case or screen protector and they're both still scratch free.

The fact that you say it scratched pretty easily AND that white line of 'glare' in your photos makes me think there's some kind of film on yours. The glass should be reflecting cleanly but yours seems to have a glare from the flash, and that doesn't seem right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones