• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help screen rotation problem

terran4999

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
Hello everyone. I had purchased the ZTE Avid 4G 5 days ago and sometimes the screen is lock in portrait view. Restarting the phone will fix the problem, but after a couple of hours the screen on the phone will not rotating to landscape. I did check the box next to auto rotation in settings so it's not a setting problem. Anyone experienced this issue with the ZTE Avid 4G? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Hello everyone. I had purchased the ZTE Avid 4G 5 days ago and sometimes the screen is lock in portrait view. Restarting the phone will fix the problem, but after a couple of hours the screen on the phone will not rotating to landscape. I did check the box next to auto rotation in settings so it's not a setting problem. Anyone experienced this issue with the ZTE Avid 4G? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Hello and welcome, terran.

Your device may need to be calibrated. It's a bit different from one manufacturer to another, but one of the best methods is to install a compass app from Play Store and follow the menu of that app to calibrate the compass to your device. Doing that will affect the positioning apparatus in the device to better detect its relationship to up/down, sideways, etc. ;)

Upvote 0
UPDATE (2013-07-09): So, I posted a fix for this a few posts down. It seemed at the time that it was a permanent fix, but for me it wasn't. It worked for a while but as my phone got older the worse it got. It got to the point where I would reset my phone and a couple of hours later it would stop rotating.

So, their seems to be no fix for this problem, it is a manufacturer defect. So, if this is happening to you, take the phone back right away. Their is a 12 month manufacturer's warranty

Upvote 0
I disagree, I use go launcher and the problem was still their. Yes, the stock launcher does not rotate, but the phone will not rotate in any apps or even the system settings.

I might have a fix though,
(And though i heavily doubt it will do anything bad to your phone, understand that you are trying this at your own risk)
1) I downloaded "Inclinometer Free" from the market,
2) opened the app
3) Press the menu button
4) held my phone in landscape mode untill the numbers were zero
If you can't get into landscape mode do a restart.
5) Pressed Calibrate
6) I did the same thing in portrait mode

UPDATE (2013-07-09): This fix works for some and it worked for me for a little while but as my phone got older the problem got worse.

To be safe I would return the phone to the metro store you bought it from. This phone had a 12 month manufacturer warranty for defects. They will exchange it for you.

Reactions: celestialbabe
Upvote 0
UPDATE (2013-07-09): So, I posted a fix for this a few posts down. It seemed at the time that it was a permanent fix, but for me it wasn't. It worked for a while but as my phone got older the worse it got. It got to the point where I would reset my phone and a couple of hours later it would stop rotating.

So, their seems to be no fix for this problem, it is a manufacturer defect. So, if this is happening to you, take the phone back right away. Their is a 12 month manufacturer's warranty

Upvote 0
The "inclinometer free" app helped a lot. I waited a week or so so i could respond to see if this was a temporary fix for the rotating problem. It turned out it is. haven't had a problem for week.

Here what i did:
1)keep the app running in the background at all times
2)right before you go to bed calibrate it in landscape mode

I've being doing this and its been working so far.

And quick question does anybody know if the update on zte website does anything. ive been researching around and people are saying it doesn't do anything. i don't want to update it just to delete everything on my phone when the update doesn't do anything?

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
Thought I had an account here already...

Anyway,

Thanks for giving attention to this problem, however, I want to say that even after calibrating (multiple times) that this still does not work for me. Phone will stay stuck in portrait and I have to power it off and back on to get it into landscape.

I'm starting to think something is up as well because I have to do the same for my proximity sensor to work during phone calls.

Upvote 0

Anyway,

Thanks for giving attention to this problem, however, I want to say that even after calibrating (multiple times) that this still does not work for me. Phone will stay stuck in portrait and I have to power it off and back on to get it into landscape.

I'm starting to think something is up as well because I have to do the same for my proximity sensor to work during phone calls.

UPDATE (2013-07-09): This seems to be a manufacturer defect. Return your phone to the metro store you bought it from. It has a 12 month manufacturer warranty.

Upvote 0

Anyway,

Welcome to AF. :hello: there also might be a hardware issue going on for your device. If you try what djsideshow and it does not work. I would think about swapping it out under warranty.

Reactions: DjSidEShoW
Upvote 0
Hey brotha, have you tried resetting your phone to the factory defaults and then checked if the same problem occurs. Just try once and let me know, I guess it might solve your issue.

UPDATE: (2013-07-09)
I posted a fix for this problem. It worked for me for a while but then as the phone got older, it got worse. Although, this fix seems to work for some, so try it at your own risk.

Just know your phone has a 12 month manufacturer warranty, so it's probably just safer to bring it back before that 12 months runs out.

Make sure you reboot your phone before doing this. For this to work you're auto rotate needs to be working.

2) opened the app
3) Press the menu button
5) Pressed Calibrate

FOR ME IT WAS ONLY A TEMPORARY FIX, ALTHOUGH SOME HAVE REPORTED THAT IT WORKS FOR THEM.

Upvote 0
I disagree, I use go launcher and the problem was still their. Yes, the stock launcher does not rotate, but the phone will not rotate in any apps or even the system settings.

I might have a fix though,
(And though i heavily doubt it will do anything bad to your phone, understand that you are trying this at your own risk)
2) opened the app
3) Press the menu button
5) Pressed Calibrate

I did this many hours ago and my rotation still works.
I'm not at all claiming this is a fix yet because its only been 6 or so hours.
But it used to only take a couple of hours to start screwing up, so hopefully we got something here.

I will leave my phone on and test the rotation every so often. If the problem comes back, you guys will be the 1st to hear about it
Thank you for this - works great on my Note 2 so far

Upvote 0
I can confirm this is just a simple software issue thats easily fix by installing ultimate rotation from the market. I've been using it for 3 days. Works like a charm and as if the phone never had the issue. I kinda figured it wasn't a hardware issue because apps that are landscape only like games still rotate even if the bug is currently active. Maybe someone will include this into future roms.

Reactions: starxpilot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones