• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Stays Black After Wake

SungWoo

Lurker
Oct 27, 2015
I recently got my Galaxy S5 and like it very much, but every so often -- and there really doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern -- when I go to wake my phone up via the home button or the side button, the two buttons on the bottom light up (the task button and the back button) momentarily but the screen never comes on. The phone is not locked up...in this condition, I've rang this phone and it comes alive nice and well. But if I try to wake the phone up while it's in this blackened state, there's no real surefire way of doing this. Sometimes hitting the power button in rapid succession wakes it. Sometimes not. Sometimes holding the power button down and then clicking rapidly wakes it. The thread here in another forum describes this, and there doesn't seem to be any answers:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/384740-galaxy-s5-black-screen-upon-wake-up.html

Has anyone else experienced this? I use Lux to auto-adjust the brightness of my screen, but I've tried turning that off but it still happens. This occurs perhaps once every two days. It's annoying...

You have some background apps running that need to be shut down.

I have had the S5 "lock up" and not respond while trying to "unlock" the screen.

Every time, if I just wait 10 or 15 seconds, things get cleared up and it can take your keystrokes/swipes.

then I look at my "recent list" and it will be chock full of crap.....
then I just tap the menu button, bring up that list and hit CLOSE ALL.

Wallah! problem solved.

I try to, remember to do a Close ALL but with life being what it is, I am usually in the middle of things, and leave an app active and lock the screen..... if that app is Facebook, Bingo!!! the chances of it not unlocking when you next want to are great.

I hate FB, but my friends are there............. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones