• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Screwed up....please help :(

marefin

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
So I was attempting to flash back to stock with Odin (I was using Assonance 5.2). I turned the phone off, then while holding the volume buttons plugged in the USB like normal. Then Odin said added the phone, then I hit start. And it seemed like it was working just fine, then all of a sudden the screen on the phone turned red. Then the status bar on Odin stopped moving completely (stayed for awhile). So I think I made the next big mistake of just disconnecting the USB and taking out the battery. So now the phone won't turn on. So I'm not sure I hard bricked the phone or what? Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

edit. I've plugged the phone into the outlet charger, still nothing happens.

Tried removing the battery for a while, like all day long? Do you get any action at all when plugging the cable in? What if you try to boot to recovery? Does the computer seem like it's recognizing the device in any manner?

Sounds like a hard brick to me. On the bright side you might be able to warranty it if you're lucky.

This happened like maybe 15 min ago. No action when plugged in the computer or charger. Can't even boot into recovery I don't think.

And I'm hoping that in worst case scenario, the phone stays JUST how it is now, then I possibly could get away with warrantying it.

edit. the power button was giving me some trouble earlier today. whenever I was trying to wake the phone up, it seemed to take a few clicks of the power button to wake the phone. This happened only after I flashed Assonance 2.5, so I wanted to flash to another rom.

Upvote 0
This happened like maybe 15 min ago. No action when plugged in the computer or charger. Can't even boot into recovery I don't think.

And I'm hoping that in worst case scenario, the phone stays JUST how it is now, then I possibly could get away with warrantying it.

edit. the power button was giving me some trouble earlier today. whenever I was trying to wake the phone up, it seemed to take a few clicks of the power button to wake the phone. This happened only after I flashed Assonance 2.5, so I wanted to flash to another rom.

Sorry to hear bro. I would leave the battery out for a COOL while and do some research while you hope for the best. Have you posted over at XDA? Those guys know their shit and if there's a chance of saving they'll be able to help you.

I'm hoping that if you plug it in and then try to start it your computer might notice and detect it. If you can get into ADB, recovery, or fastboot (or is fastboot htc only?) I'm sure the guys at XDA can help you save it.

Reactions: marefin
Upvote 0
ok i have no clue wtf just happened, but i am currently in download mode using odin and flashing back to stock.....this is just too weird.....sooo any rom suggestions? :)

lol, glad you're back to life.

If I were you I would restore to 100% stock and start over.

I personally like the CyanogenMod ROMs but I think they're still in early stages for the Galaxy. Look for something that's supposedly stable with everything working and go from there.

I bought my gf a captivate and I'm really hoping for a Sense ROM for her.

Upvote 0
lol, glad you're back to life.

If I were you I would restore to 100% stock and start over.

I personally like the CyanogenMod ROMs but I think they're still in early stages for the Galaxy. Look for something that's supposedly stable with everything working and go from there.

I bought my gf a captivate and I'm really hoping for a Sense ROM for her.

Yah I just got back to 100% stock now. I was actually wondering if there is a "Sense" like ROM available for the Captivate. I really like the scenes feature that Sense has. Is the CyanogenMOD ROM that they were working on finshed?

Upvote 0
Yah I just got back to 100% stock now. I was actually wondering if there is a "Sense" like ROM available for the Captivate. I really like the scenes feature that Sense has. Is the CyanogenMOD ROM that they were working on finshed?

Keep in mind that all my knowledge is secondhand, I haven't actually run any of these myself.

I think CM is so buggy at this point that I wouldn't recommend running it. Here's where you'll find all the ROMs.
Captivate Android Development - xda-developers

I think Sense is in the same boat at this point, but at least there's a pledge fund.
[ROM/PLEDGE] Sense port for our Captivate (and/or Galaxy S)! [$660 so far!] - xda-developers

This one is also in early stages but is probably your best bet.
[PORT] Nexus S GB Port to Captivate (UPDATE: Wifi and 3G semi-working) - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I would not run the Gingerbread port on your phone unless it's a development-only phone. The port is still in early phases, and IMO, is not suited for every day use.

I also wouldn't do CM either...that's still a port-in-progress.

I agree with you, I'm going to amend what I said earlier.

This one is also in early stages but will probably be your best bet once it's ready. Give it roughly a month.
[PORT] Nexus S GB Port to Captivate (UPDATE: Wifi and 3G semi-working) - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones