• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sean Peyton banned for 1 year, draft picks lost.

I agree the appeals process should be different. And there have likely been things like this going on for years. The thing is it shouldn't be and because of the punishment it will likely stop.

I still don't see a problem with the punishment. $7 million fine is fitting, they were rewarding players for hurting others...had one of the bountied players had their career ended I bet it would make them lose much more than $7 million...and for what? The other player getting $1500:eek:

It is a disrespect to the bounted players and the game in general.

Upvote 0
You have to think as fans we watch this game as a sport but for the player it is a job, and one solid late hit from Darren Sharper is enough to end a 23 year olds career for good. All it takes is one hit for these people to lose their future ending a new players career can be much worse than a 7 mil fine......they were intentionally trying to hurt people....these are grown men they should have known better. Also if you want a nice example why dont you take a quick second to look at the hit that Peyton Manning took before his first Neck Surgery.......Strange coincidence that Mr. Gregg Williams was the opposing Coordinator for the Skins that game.....

Upvote 0
You have to think as fans we watch this game as a sport but for the player it is a job, and one solid late hit from Darren Sharper is enough to end a 23 year olds career for good. All it takes is one hit for these people to lose their future ending a new players career can be much worse than a 7 mil fine......they were intentionally trying to hurt people....these are grown men they should have known better. Also if you want a nice example why dont you take a quick second to look at the hit that Peyton Manning took before his first Neck Surgery.......Strange coincidence that Mr. Gregg Williams was the opposing Coordinator for the Skins that game.....

Maybe they should have picked baseball if they're worried about getting hit since EVERYONE is one hit away from a career ending injury in the NFL.

Upvote 0
Maybe they should have picked baseball if they're worried about getting hit since EVERYONE is one hit away from a career ending injury in the NFL.

That isn't the point. If the other person is going to be given a bonus for injuring you they are likely going to try to hit you in a way to cause injury not just get you down. Big difference there

Upvote 0
That isn't the point. If the other person is going to be given a bonus for injuring you they are likely going to try to hit you in a way to cause injury not just get you down. Big difference there

It is the point. This is the NFL and every single player getting paid millions to play knows full well the risk whenever they take the field and not just game-time against another team. Many careers are ended on the practice fields. It's a hard hitting, gladiator sport and men play it. Men who know that their very livelihood is at stake with every move they make regardless of what other players are thinking.

You play much football? That's a rhetorical question because I know the answer. If what you say is true and they really were trying to hurt someone the easiest way is to go for the knees. Why do you think it was one of the earliest 'player protection' type penalties which was put in place years before all this other BS? People talk about the Brett Favre & Curt Warner hit and BOTH hits were clean mid-section hits. In BOTH cases the player could have just as easily gone for the side of the knee if they wanted to injure them. Same thing with that Peyton Manning hit you talked about. There isn't a Doctor alive let alone NFL defensive player that could have known a hard hit would have caused Peyton's neck injury. NOBODY knew. It's one of those freak injuries that occur in football and it can be caused by hard hits or glancing blows. If he truly wanted to injure Peyton he would have gone for the knees. It's a simple fact of the game and in no season during this 'bounty' was N.O. flagged for my personal fouls, chop blocks or low hits on a QB than any other team in the NFL nor were opposing payers injured at a higher rate than other teams. It just cracks me up when people who know NOTHING about the sport get all worked up about something they know little about.

The punishment was for denying it and trying to cover it up and is too harsh. It makes it seem like the league 'cares' more whenever you say it's about player safety. Don't fall for the media hype on what the issue really is.

Upvote 0
It is the point. This is the NFL and every single player getting paid millions to play knows full well the risk whenever they take the field and not just game-time against another team. Many careers are ended on the practice fields. It's a hard hitting, gladiator sport and men play it. Men who know that their very livelihood is at stake with every move they make regardless of what other players are thinking.

You play much football? That's a rhetorical question because I know the answer. If what you say is true and they really were trying to hurt someone the easiest way is to go for the knees. Why do you think it was one of the earliest 'player protection' type penalties which was put in place years before all this other BS? People talk about the Brett Favre & Curt Warner hit and BOTH hits were clean mid-section hits. In BOTH cases the player could have just as easily gone for the side of the knee if they wanted to injure them. Same thing with that Peyton Manning hit you talked about. There isn't a Doctor alive let alone NFL defensive player that could have known a hard hit would have caused Peyton's neck injury. NOBODY knew. It's one of those freak injuries that occur in football and it can be caused by hard hits or glancing blows. If he truly wanted to injure Peyton he would have gone for the knees. It's a simple fact of the game and in no season during this 'bounty' was N.O. flagged for my personal fouls, chop blocks or low hits on a QB than any other team in the NFL nor were opposing payers injured at a higher rate than other teams. It just cracks me up when people who know NOTHING about the sport get all worked up about something they know little about.

The punishment was for denying it and trying to cover it up and is too harsh. It makes it seem like the league 'cares' more whenever you say it's about player safety. Don't fall for the media hype on what the issue really is.

And if what you are saying...it's all about money...is true then it is fair for 1 player to get paid $1500 to end another's career which is a loss much more than $7 million...but that "fine" is unfair...that makes no sense to me...Yes they have decided to play a sport that does involve injury not be a competitor in a fight...there are other sports for that.

Please try to stay on the topic at hand and not make assumptions on me and what I am a fan of or played in the past ;) I am a fan of the NFL. I pull for the Panthers so my opinion may be biased since this turn of events is potentially beneficial to my team next season and I am sure our rookie QB had a price on his head when they played NO. Sure had his career been ended it would have been fair because that is part of the game...and there is no way he could ever have made more than that measly bounty in the rest of his career.

The punishment sucks for NO fans and St Louis fans I will agree with that. I still don't think it is unfair. The league has said this isn't to be going on and they didn't abide.

Upvote 0
I think one thing being overlooked in this thread regarding the severity of the punishment are the prior actions and coverup. They were interviewed about this initally between the NFC Championship game and the Superbowl in 2009 and denied it. Not only did they deny it, they kept doing it for two more years and continued to cover it up. They also made their owner look like an ass as he instructed them to put an end to it and they simply told him they had.

This is why the penalties are so much more severe than Spygate. In that case, the Pats got caught when it was initally investigated, turned everything over to the NFL and didn't try to cover it up or continue doing it.

Upvote 0
How come the commissioner gave the New England Patriots a past when they was clearly cheating with the video taping of teams? He also destroyed the evidence. Robert Kraft help put Roger Goodell in office and are buddies thats why. This punishment is way too excessive when bounty for heads has been going on in the NFL forever. This is not a safe sport no matter how you try to make it safe, no sport is safe.

This ^^^

Upvote 0
How come the commissioner gave the New England Patriots a past when they was clearly cheating with the video taping of teams? He also destroyed the evidence. Robert Kraft help put Roger Goodell in office and are buddies thats why. This punishment is way too excessive when bounty for heads has been going on in the NFL forever. This is not a safe sport no matter how you try to make it safe, no sport is safe.

Umm......

I think one thing being overlooked in this thread regarding the severity of the punishment are the prior actions and coverup. They were interviewed about this initally between the NFC Championship game and the Superbowl in 2009 and denied it. Not only did they deny it, they kept doing it for two more years and continued to cover it up. They also made their owner look like an ass as he instructed them to put an end to it and they simply told him they had.

This is why the penalties are so much more severe than Spygate. In that case, the Pats got caught when it was initally investigated, turned everything over to the NFL and didn't try to cover it up or continue doing it.

^^That^^

Upvote 0
lmao knows nothing!!!!
im a flagship fan just like the masses in each NFL city i have watched football since i can remember with my father all my life....through all the lows and the highs i have always been a hometown Bucs fan if you feel you have the ability to i would to see you out wit me when it comes to knowing this sport im certain your claim is farcely exaggerrated

btw his name is Kurt Warner and i was there when we lost the NFC Championship game to the Rams...........miles away from home

LMAO Mr. Know it All

Upvote 0

I disagree with you if you think an intentional hit isn't more likely to hurt someone then just playing the game the way it should be......Steve Smith loved it when he was blind sided in the endzone after that spectacular catch against the saints.....they were cheaters and now they pay...also do you have stats to back up your claims let see you produce the numbers of late hits and personal foul violations to support your "simple fact"

Upvote 0
i bet you condone the coaches comments that were released too....lol
anyman that knows someone has concussion issues and advised his players to do anything they can to cause another is a sick induvidual....people die from those and his disregard for player safety is why he will never coach an Nfl team or Position for that matter in his life

Upvote 0
Just a friendly reminder guys that its okay to cut-block the issues but not the members ;) :).

Thanks!

Chop blocks are illegal. I'm going to have to suspend you from the AFL (Android Football League) for 1 year and no soup(er bowl) for you!

Soup-Nazi-Seinfeld-No-Soup-For-You.gif

Back to the topic though, I remember in school, all the way up through high school, we were taught to get into the backfield, strike the QB, RB, FB as hard as we can. We weren't told to take cheap shots, but we were taught to grind the opposing player into the dirt. You had to make the QB hear footsteps, make the RB and FB run around with happy feet wondering where the next big blow was coming from.

Sadly, IMO what's happening is we're living in a society that's hopped-up on too much estrogen. We're being told that corporal punishment is too violent. Everyone gets a blue ribbon now. Don't stare down your opponent or we'll get you for taunting, but it's ok if you want to express your feelings to him. Even this place has been a bit infected. Site rules that seem to inhibit the slightest sarcasm, and calling out each other's posts, well that's just outright barbaric. Eventually, our society is going to be so whipped that even Mr. Rogers would say "You *$&!ies!"

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Chop blocks are illegal. I'm going to have to suspend you from the AFL (Android Football League) for 1 year and no soup(er bowl) for you!

Back to the topic though, I remember in school, all the way up through high school, we were taught to get into the backfield, strike the QB, RB, FB as hard as we can. We weren't told to take cheap shots, but we were taught to grind the opposing player into the dirt. You had to make the QB hear footsteps, make the RB and FB run around with happy feet wondering where the next big blow was coming from.

Sadly, IMO what's happening is we're living in a society that's hopped-up on too much estrogen. We're being told that corporal punishment is too violent. Everyone gets a blue ribbon now. Don't stare down your opponent or we'll get you for taunting, but it's ok if you want to express your feelings to him. Even this place has been a bit infected. Site rules that seem to inhibit the slightest sarcasm, and calling out each other's posts, well that's just outright barbaric. Eventually, our society is going to be so whipped that even Mr. Rogers would say "You *$&!ies!"

I don't say this real often but I agree with you. I'm a pretty big dude and played football at most levels (not pro) and can tell you that the ONLY people in an uproar over this are people who have never played (if they did it was in Jr High and they stood on the sidelines) and can't understand how violent of a sport it is. If it was easy, everyone would do it and it would be boring to watch.. like baseball! :D

To be honest with you MyTjSux; the ONLY thing that I disapproved of from what they've released of the coach's speech was the part where he talked about about going after the ACL of Frank Gore. That part you've quoted and the part the media is going after is where he talks about turning Gore's head sideways. Taken out of context they seem like he's calling for them to injury people. The truth of the matter is he was talking about the other team's injury report the night before and they were going down the list. He said that if the player has a concussion we're going to see if he really should be playing or if he's a decoy. The way you find out is hit them HARD early on and if they want out... they're still injured and you know it was just a front. This sort of gamesmanship occurs at ALL levels. Coaches claim certain players are good to go when in reality they aren't and they do that so the other team has to prepare for that. Not that you need a reason to hit someone hard but that's the person you focus on before the game. If they're not healthy, they shouldn't be playing. If they are then it's just like hitting someone else so it's nothing the defense coach was doing that isn't done by EVERY other coach. The part where he talks about taking the head he's speaking metaphorically. Frank Gore is a beast and at the time was considered the head of the monster. It's a common statement to take the head and the body will fall and is often used to describe the best player of a team. He talks about turning his head sideways and this is, again, football speak. As a defense you don't want a running back running downhill. You want them running sideways so you can swarm and stop them. Saying to turn their head sideways and running them sideways is pretty common. Again, out of context. There's a LOT to this speech that's being left out because it creates ratings. The part about the ACL was also talking about the injury report but ANYONE who plays football will tell you that the easiest way to injure someone is the knees and you're always worried about your knees. You want to piss someone off enough to throw punches? Go for their knees. You can hit them anywhere else (even the head) and football players won't care a bit because it's part of the game.

If this was truly about player safety and health then why does the NFL deny ALL claims for health benefits & workman's comp? 100% are denied and it's up to the players and past players to jump through hoops and fight the system to get what they are due. Why are they talking about 18 game seasons when it's been proven that this will significantly decrease the strength and health of the players? The simple answer is that they don't give a shit about the health of the players other than to keep the ambulatory to keep making money off of them. They're protecting themselves from future law suits is the ONLY reason for all of this. If the NFL had law suit immunity from previous players we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

They were warned against this and lied and covered it up. For that they deserve to be punished. An example should be made. At the same time the punishment for the cover-up was WAY too steep and if it was for the bounty then I guess we just need to take next season off because it happens on EVERY team. Most of the time it's informal in the locker rooms and it's not too often a coach gets involved or organizes it but it does happen. The funny part is if it was that big of an incentive or that big of a deal to the players (remember those guys?) we would see EVERY player diving for knees on EVERY play and you almost never see it. It's just incentive to HIT someone HARD which is what you try to do every play. You will hear players when asked by the media say that they never want to hurt another player. I can tell you that that's a lie. You hit with the intention to take someone out of the game on EVERY play. You literally want to remove someone from the game and if you don't then you don't have the drive it takes to play the game and do it well. You'll wash out at an early age and then talk on internet forums about how people out there are playing paddy cake most plays. When a player says that they don't mean to hurt them they mean from means that could be construed as dirty such as going for someone's knee or something. Everything else is just a hard football hit. End of story. It's a man's sport and real men play it and if that bothers you then find another sport to watch.

I hate having this conversation with mamby pambies who don't know what football is really like so I usually choose not to.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
I don't say this real often but I agree with you. I'm a pretty big dude and played football at most levels (not pro) and can tell you that the ONLY people in an uproar over this are people who have never played (if they did it was in Jr High and they stood on the sidelines) and can't understand how violent of a sport it is. If it was easy, everyone would do it and it would be boring to watch.. like baseball! :D

To be honest with you MyTjSux; the ONLY thing that I disapproved of from what they've released of the coach's speech was the part where he talked about about going after the ACL of Frank Gore. That part you've quoted and the part the media is going after is where he talks about turning Gore's head sideways. Taken out of context they seem like he's calling for them to injury people. The truth of the matter is he was talking about the other team's injury report the night before and they were going down the list. He said that if the player has a concussion we're going to see if he really should be playing or if he's a decoy. The way you find out is hit them HARD early on and if they want out... they're still injured and you know it was just a front. This sort of gamesmanship occurs at ALL levels. Coaches claim certain players are good to go when in reality they aren't and they do that so the other team has to prepare for that. Not that you need a reason to hit someone hard but that's the person you focus on before the game. If they're not healthy, they shouldn't be playing. If they are then it's just like hitting someone else so it's nothing the defense coach was doing that isn't done by EVERY other coach. The part where he talks about taking the head he's speaking metaphorically. Frank Gore is a beast and at the time was considered the head of the monster. It's a common statement to take the head and the body will fall and is often used to describe the best player of a team. He talks about turning his head sideways and this is, again, football speak. As a defense you don't want a running back running downhill. You want them running sideways so you can swarm and stop them. Saying to turn their head sideways and running them sideways is pretty common. Again, out of context. There's a LOT to this speech that's being left out because it creates ratings. The part about the ACL was also talking about the injury report but ANYONE who plays football will tell you that the easiest way to injure someone is the knees and you're always worried about your knees. You want to piss someone off enough to throw punches? Go for their knees. You can hit them anywhere else (even the head) and football players won't care a bit because it's part of the game.

If this was truly about player safety and health then why does the NFL deny ALL claims for health benefits & workman's comp? 100% are denied and it's up to the players and past players to jump through hoops and fight the system to get what they are due. Why are they talking about 18 game seasons when it's been proven that this will significantly decrease the strength and health of the players? The simple answer is that they don't give a shit about the health of the players other than to keep the ambulatory to keep making money off of them. They're protecting themselves from future law suits is the ONLY reason for all of this. If the NFL had law suit immunity from previous players we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

They were warned against this and lied and covered it up. For that they deserve to be punished. An example should be made. At the same time the punishment for the cover-up was WAY too steep and if it was for the bounty then I guess we just need to take next season off because it happens on EVERY team. Most of the time it's informal in the locker rooms and it's not too often a coach gets involved or organizes it but it does happen. The funny part is if it was that big of an incentive or that big of a deal to the players (remember those guys?) we would see EVERY player diving for knees on EVERY play and you almost never see it. It's just incentive to HIT someone HARD which is what you try to do every play. You will hear players when asked by the media say that they never want to hurt another player. I can tell you that that's a lie. You hit with the intention to take someone out of the game on EVERY play. You literally want to remove someone from the game and if you don't then you don't have the drive it takes to play the game and do it well. You'll wash out at an early age and then talk on internet forums about how people out there are playing paddy cake most plays. When a player says that they don't mean to hurt them they mean from means that could be construed as dirty such as going for someone's knee or something. Everything else is just a hard football hit. End of story. It's a man's sport and real men play it and if that bothers you then find another sport to watch.

I hate having this conversation with mamby pambies who don't know what football is really like so I usually choose not to.

That's fine if players want to hit hard and hurt people, I understand that, that's part of the game. I don't even have a problem with players doing their own bounty programs behind close doors. That's up to the them. What I don't think it's apart of the game is a systematic bounty/reward system that is backed up by coaches. I think that just wrong. No coaches/organization should give out incentives to injure other players, however small the incentive may be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones