• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SERIOUS Problem: Android Phone Low On RAM!

Nothing. If that update wasn't specifically made for your device it will just kill the device. An update is specific to phone model to the extent that an update for a US s7 will kill an international s7.

Basically you need a new phone. Upgrading to a higher Android version will actually make it slower because higher Android versions need more power to run.

Reactions: Dannydet and Hadron
Upvote 0
No, it doesn't.

Actually desktop Windows uses a fairly resource hungry system to make the install possible on a range of different PC hardware. No phone OS does that. The OS has to be built for the particular model, which is why you didn't actually find a download at that web page (and if you had it would have been source code which you'd have to adapt to and build for your phone).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
It's because Huawei have decided it isn't worth them producing an update for it.

How much update support you get depends both on the manufacturer and where the phone lies in their range (flagships tend to get longer and faster upgrade support, lower-end phones much less). But this is entirely the manufacturer's decision (unless you buy it through a mobile carrier who modify the software, in which case _they_ decide whether to even bother with the updates the manufacturer provides).

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
It can go to 4.4 Kitkat with a custom ROM, provided you can read Chinese. However the ROM is on Baidu Pan, which I don't think you can download unless you're in China or can register with a Chinese(+86) mobile phone number.
http://www.romjd.com/Rom/Detail/40546

So I suggest you search AF or Google for Huawei Ascend G510 custom ROMs, like CM. But I don't think there'll be anything more recent than 4.4 Kitkat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Sorry, @NewbAndroidUser but you've been given the exact advice I would have told you. Officially Huawei stopped with Android 4.1. There were some major architecture changes with 4.2 and later which probably wouldn't be possible to run on a device with only 512MB ram. :( Even if you could install a custom rom with 4.4, it probably wouldn't run any better and you'd be introducing a whole new set of problems. That's just the way it is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones