• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Should I fromat my sd card before I stick it in the S4

It's probably safe to drop it in but you'll likely be bringing a mess of old, possibly useless stuff with it.

I'd recommend backing up the card to your computer so you don't permanently lose anything important, then formatting the card. This way when you drop it in to your pristine S4, it's not cluttered with files from apps you deleted a year ago. With a backup you can always put things back which are important.

Reactions: mted558 and SMALBA
Upvote 0
Same here - I just drop in into my new phone and delete what I don't want. In the case of hidden folders (which I don't really have anymore except for something like LOST.DIR since I don't transfer apps to SD anymore), maybe I would drop those into my computer to delete since my phones aren't rooted to do it on the phone. But I still won't format it on my computer. If I want to format it, I would format it on the new phone itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones