• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Should I root my phone? New user here.

I get an error can't open/cache/recovery/command when I try and apply the update.zip

looks like you didn't read... did you downgrade your droid to 2.0.1? if not, you can't root yet. and as far as apps running in the back ground, and you having to kill them, this could be the result of you using a a task killer. they aren't nessissary. in fact, I and many others have found that if you let the OS manage itself, it actually runs pretty smooth... IMO

Upvote 0
Ohhh your on 2.1, that is why. You need to use the 2.0.1 SBF and RSD Lite to flash it. To use overclocking you need a overclocked kernel or ROM with it built in. Bugless Beast is a ROM that has been heavily modified from the stock Android. Once you get back to 2.0.1 then you can buy the ROM Manager app in the market to download all the best ROM's and kernels and it will install them for you. You will need to follow that root guide before getting ROM Manager though.

Upvote 0
No, as stated before, you will have to flash back to 2.01 first, or until someone finds an exploit to be able to root 2.1, which is not possible yet. I unrooted and took the update because flashing new roms was taking so much of my time that I need to put into rl, but honestly the only thing ATM that I miss from root is the ability to use wifi tether, but thanks to a couple of good apps on the market, u can always use a wired tether. So I'm happy with a non-rooted phone. Just my opinion though, but I would wait to root, read up on doing it first, and try out some apps from the market.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones