• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Simple unrEVOked 3 rooting for stock Incredible or Evo on 2.2

I believe i have rooted my phone i have superuser permissions... When i go to open it the app it is just a black screen that says superuser permissions. I have read something about hboot drivers i did not do anything before downloading the unrevoked recovery reflash tool. I have a Mac if that helps thank you!!!!

Upvote 0
I ran the Reflash program without an SD card in my phone... but the root worked. I have just spent the last few minutes uninstalling bloatware.

Everything seems to be fine. Should I run Reflash again with a card in the phone, or am I okay? 0.o There were some error messages on the screen that said shit about files not being placed on the non-existent sd card... but as I said, all seems well.

Upvote 0
Followed the instructions (thought I did) and rooted yesterday. The thing is I am now S-on where I thought I'd be S-off. Will being S-on effect what I can do with roms and kernels at all? I think it means that if I accept an OTA update in the future then I will lose root. Should I now do unrevoked forever?

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Upvote 0
Great instructions! The phone is rooted and everything works with one exception.

When I choose 'Recovery' and press the power button I never get to the 'Backup and Recovery'. The phone reboots and I end up with a blank screen with white bars down both sides.

I have run the "reflash_package" twice.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Upvote 0
Great instructions! The phone is rooted and everything works with one exception.

When I choose 'Recovery' and press the power button I never get to the 'Backup and Recovery'. The phone reboots and I end up with a blank screen with white bars down both sides.

I have run the "reflash_package" twice.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

I believe under normal circumstances this would launch clockworkmod. If you install ROM Manager from the market place (free), you can reinstall clockworkmod and see if you can then boot into recovery.

Upvote 0
I believe under normal circumstances this would launch clockworkmod. If you install ROM Manager from the market place (free), you can reinstall clockworkmod and see if you can then boot into recovery.

Thank you for the suggestion.

ROM Manager installed, then I had it install clockworkmod, and after it was done, chose the 'reboot into recovery' option.

Same results, the phone rebooted and ended up with a black screen with white bars down each side.

My phone is one of the newer SLCD phones with 2.2 installed when it was shipped to me.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestion.

ROM Manager installed, then I had it install clockworkmod, and after it was done, chose the 'reboot into recovery' option.

Same results, the phone rebooted and ended up with a black screen with white bars down each side.

My phone is one of the newer SLCD phones with 2.2 installed when it was shipped to me.

Oh! I remember reading a forum on another site about this last night. If I find it, I'll link you.

I am new to this rooting thing, just rooted last night. Did it without an SD card inserted-- somehow everything worked perfectly... not sure how. But my recovery screen shows up beautifully. ><

EDIT: Here you go, the last post (#14) explains the process... assuming it actually works, sounds like it's your solution.

http://www.incredibleforum.com/foru...overy-after-unrevoked-3-21-a-2.html#post52320

Reactions: VzyGuy
Upvote 0
Will this root method work on the SLCD screens? I'm kind of nervous to brick my phone because I just got it on Friday but I want to underclock it to preserve battery.

Also, just to make sure I'm doing everything correctly assuming this method works for SLCD

I D/L drivers and unrevoked
click device manager, android shows up with a yellow ? (Is this ok???)
plug in phone, usb debug, ask me and charge mode
shut phone off
power volume down to hboot
run unrevoked, WAIT for it to do its thing
Then after its done its thing I'm good to make a backup and reboot?

If I'm not planning on flashing a ROM or Kernel, do I really need a backup?

Forgive me If I seem over cautious, I'm just very nervous with screwing around with stuff like this. On my Eris if it wasn't for the 1 Click Root, where you literally clicked the trackball once and you were rooted, I probably never would have done it because I'm a baby haha

Thank you in advance for the help everyone :)

Upvote 0
Mahalo and aloha Bob Denny for your post! I knew when I would be bored one day (in this case night) I would root my Incredible and I just did it with your instructions. AWESOME! I'm doing the backup step right now and all is well. I appreciate your efforts. If you are in Hawaii, let me buy you a margarita or a local plate lunch:):eek::D;). All the best.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones