Simply Stunning 2.0.2 so far the pick of the litter

Last Updated:

1. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Been playing with Chevy's 2.02 ESE53 2.1 based rom and I am quite impressed. There was about an hour of false starts when he originally posted but it turned out that his server was not properly updating his newer file (drove poor Chevy up a wall). It is running fast right out of the box (141ms), cool (averaging about 82F) and his smoked glass blue theme is very pleasing on the eyes. As usual, I did a Nandroid restore and wiped everything first. This will deffinetly be a keeper (at least for the next hour until something newer comes along :D). This one is worth checking out fellow flash addicts...
    Simply Stunning 2.0.2 Release - ESE53 - (3/9/2010) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I then used this tweaked theme:
    Blue ese53 theme - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (Blueese53 theme based on Chevy's ROM) which adds a little more eye candy.

YMMV

Advertisement
    T.C likes this.
  2. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

Have you tried one of Adamz low voltage kernels on it yet?

Edit: nm, guess I should read his threads before asking questions..

3. shrink57

Not yet because the encluded kernel is doing so well at 1200. I am sure I will do a few kernel experiments later today but for now I want to see how this baby continues to run out of the box.

4. Shadowtech

Ever since 2.0.1 I've had issues with Google Maps becoming messed up. 2.0.2 caused the same issue, as well as duplicating most of my stock apps. He stated no user data would be wiped, yet I lost my screen layout yet again.

Guess I will do a full wipe and see if the nandroid does any better.. if not I'll be switching roms.

5. shrink57

I always do a full wipe (even when reflashing the same ROM). Just good digital hygiene :) It takes me only a few minutes to recreate my homescreens and I keep Titanium close at hand (I restore my programs and data - not system data). I am not having any map problems.

6. Shadowtech

Full wipe seems to have fixed the issues.. just annoying having to do this when he states no data loss should happen.

That said, it seems to be functioning pretty good so far, nice and smooth like every other SS build has been, once the initial quirks were resolved. I'll need to give it more time though before I decide if I'm happy with his new kernel, I think Adamz ran a little cooler, but I can't be sure atm.

7. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

I may go to this today. Running BB .7, but I like SS as well.

Man, I wish I'd just settle on one. Get tired of remaking my homescreens.

8. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member

2 things.

I have the previous simply stunning. Do i have to do a full wipe?
    and does it include a overclock kernal so i dont have to flash a new one?
    i like simply stunning because i dont have to install a kernal.

9. Shadowtech

According to Chevy, you don't need to wipe, YMMV though.

It comes with a low voltage 1.2ghz kernel, along with a slot for the stock 550mhz setting. You'll just need SetCPU to set the speed.

10. dfine06

i cant see the link at work but does it give you install instructions?
    coming from another version?

11. Shadowtech

This is from the 2.0.2 thread:

12. dfine06

Does this also have intructions?
    sorry im just anxious and at work haha i wish i could see it.

13. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

Nandroid Installation Instructions:

-NO data wiping required if using 2.1 now - your settings and apps stay intact, just like update.zip
    -It is strongly suggested to nandroid-backup your current ROM before doing anything!
    -Extract the files from the archive using WinRAR or a similar program
    -Place the extracted folder (the ROM) into the "nandroid" folder on your sdcard
    -Reboot into recovery mode
    -Backup/Restore
    -Advanced Nandroid Restore
    -Choose backup (select the ROM)
    -Perform Restore
    -Done!

:)

14. Shadowtech

hmm, I thought I had copied the instructions into my post.. guess it got lost during an edit.

15. jackburnt

Just updated and love everything was kept intact. Now I can bounce back and forth between roms more easily.

I did a stress test through SetCPU for about 5 minutes and it topped off at 38c temp wise. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Looks nice too.

16. dfine06

I saw the direction but it just said to wipe no instructions on when to do it the intsall? Anyone know?

17. jackburnt

I came from BB .7 so just installed the ROM. If you have an older version, or not sure which version you have, then wipe.

18. glynch1

glynch1 New Member

I have been running this for a couple of hours and seems great! The one thing I see is the battery meter is not refreshing on the home screen.

Also the signal strength is not working.

19. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

It's a nandroid, so you download it, unzip the folder from the file to your nandroid folder on your sd card in your Droid, and then boot to recover (power off, power on holding the X and power key down until recovery shows, and then use Backup/Restore>Advanced Restore to select the SS nandroid and restore it to your phone.

20. Redflea

There's a very easy fix for the Maps issue posted by razgueado on page 12 of the thread...

Chevy has said he will fix the issue on his next release by not including Maps in his ROMs...

21. Redflea

I've been bouncing back and forth between Petes BB roms and Chevy's SS ROMs and both are quite good...I like the looks of Chevy's a bit more at this point, and it seems to run very well using Adamz's low voltage 1.1 kernel, so that's my setup at this point...

22. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member

Chevys work, by far, is my favorite. I have tried all of them and none of them run even within 6 degrees as cool as his do and battery life is much much better on his ROMS. I'm not quite sure about this one battery wise yet - it seems to be sucking more juice than the ERE25 Beta I had on for a few days before this one. I am getting ZERO force closes or reboots. JIT is running flawlessly.

The only two issues I'm noticing with this one, is my Gmail widget keeps telling me I have more and more unread emails and the battery widget on my homescreen isn't updating correctly (this could be a function of the widget - that was updated twice today).

23. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

You can fix that Gmail issue by going into applications, menu, filter, all, and select gmail and gmail storage and clear their data.

Then go back into gmail and it will resync. Also, you'll have to reset your email notification settings (if they're not stock)

mtbhk44 likes this.
  24. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member

WOW - awesome - thank you - why did this happen? I've had this thing since release day and it's never done this.

25. glynch1

glynch1 New Member

Would anybody have an idea as to why the status bar icons are not functioning? Maybe I shouldn't complain, I'll have 5 bars and 80% battery forever.....;-)