• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype drained my battery and rebooted!

88Sandra

Lurker
Oct 11, 2013
Well while I was talking to my friend, she sent me a picture .. While viewing it ( 70% battery ) the phone rebooted.. And didn't get back. I plugged it to the charger and it was 0% charged ! Is it the skype or my phone? did a reset to my phone and didn't install skype till now ( my phone is S4) ..

Sounds like a battery with a dendritic short. (The short "grows" until it shorts the cell. That burns the short out, but the phone has already shut off due to low battery voltage.) If you have a battery app that shows a graph of battery voltage, you'll see it drop to almost 0 just before the phone shut off.

You need a new battery. (If the phone is in warranty, this situation is technically covered, because it's a manufacturing defect, but they almost never agree to replace the battery for free.)

Upvote 0
Sounds like a battery with a dendritic short. (The short "grows" until it shorts the cell. That burns the short out, but the phone has already shut off due to low battery voltage.) If you have a battery app that shows a graph of battery voltage, you'll see it drop to almost 0 just before the phone shut off.

You need a new battery. (If the phone is in warranty, this situation is technically covered, because it's a manufacturing defect, but they almost never agree to replace the battery for free.)

It's not necessarily a duff battery with Skype. I've had it do it with a new phone and battery(Samsung). Having a long conversation, get no warning at all, phone just suddenly goes dead, shows zero charge when plugged into the charger. I found it's only Skype that does it, any other time get plenty of warning the battery is running low.

Upvote 0

True.. I did another reset .. Never installed skype.. But my phone shuts down reaching 40% now.. I guess I need to buy a new battery :(

Upvote 0
It's not necessarily a duff battery with Skype. I've had it do it with a new phone and battery(Samsung). Having a long conversation, get no warning at all, phone just suddenly goes dead, shows zero charge when plugged into the charger. I found it's only Skype that does it, any other time get plenty of warning the battery is running low.

Yup shows 0 without any warning

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones