• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So apparently I started a "Facebook War"

I saw something on Youtube where they were talking bout how Lil Wayne is always taking other peoples lyrics and sh*t. They even had examples and I was shocked. Anybody that cant think of their own lyrics needs to step down. And on top of that his voice is hard on the ears. He sounds like a cat stuck in the vacuum cleaner. I could never listen to him for too long. Some of his songs are OK but others are not.

^Thats just my opinion. Dont attack me.

Upvote 0
I'm just sayin, people praise the guy because he's different and his style is different, well, it's not really his style.

You talking about MnM.... look at Mr. K West! The worst thief there is and he's at the TOP of the game.... love his stuff... M gets shoved down my throat a bit being from Metro Detroit, but Em is at the top of todays game too..

Tupac on the other hand... #1

Upvote 0
I think Lil Wayne is pretty good. Lil Wayne and TI have single handily brought back from the dead southern hip hop. It's was so bad from like 2002-2007. Southern hip hop tends to simplify a lot of their rhymes and be very repetitive and more about their "beats" than they are about what they are saying. I respect their style, and if you listen to the beats, they are pretty advanced.

Upvote 0
The way to really tell if a rap is good or not is to actually read the lyrics like poetry and not listen to the song. You'll know then if the rap is good or not. You'll find that the vast majority sucks. I do really respect Eminem.

I do not like Rap. I find most rappers lacking in musical knowledge and not many can play an instrument. It is a terrible form. I think rap appeals to (mostly) blacks because it offers then a way out of a terrible life.

I am/was bothered by the East Coast/West Coast rapper violence. Seems odd that music would result in gun play.

Glad there are no feuds between The New York Philharmonic and the California Symphonic Orchestra. Batons at ten paces, I suppose.

I also like Eminem.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
Art is subjective. Music is art. Therefore music is subjective.

Up to a point. Certainly, if you understand music, you can easily determine if a particular band sucks at some basic level. If I pick a run of 32nd notes in G that should be C#, chances are you can tell. The performance will suck at some level.

Or perhaps a particular musician in a band or orchestra sucks. Some here might have never listened to classical music and I can guarantee that in most cases, the novice can tell if the orchestra sucks because it will become obvious.

What screws things up are those fools that think bad bands have a right to fill our ears with their music. So, lots of pure crap exists and to some, it has every right to exist. Sorry, no, bad sucky bands need to explode.

I can tell if a horn player, guitarist, or banjo player "sucks" by listening to their tone, how well they play a well known piece of music, if they have a style all their own or they borrow extensively from others. Perhaps they are out of key, or they come in too late or early, or their song sounds like a thousand other songs. The problem is subjectivity on the part of the listener. Not that there is anything wrong with following those that came before you unless that is all you do.

Lots of music these days shows little to no creativity and the performance becomes mechanical.

So, at some level, one can say with confidence if a particular musician sucks.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
I'm a huge Weezy fan.
He's got style and flow, and can make a damn good hit song.
His mixtapes are also quite a lot better than his EPs.

If you want to hear people make up words, listen to the Dipset fam.
Cam'Ron and Juelz make words up constantly.

This is what got me liking him. After listening to Tha Drought 3 I started listening to him more.

Like I didnt like Bone Thugs when they first came out. After some album came out I started liking them...

Upvote 0
Wanye is the shit... I do agee that sometimes his lyrics dont make sense and he does occassionally make up words, but when he freetsyles something good with a sick beat it comes out awesome... throw a little Drake in there and your all set

Lol really?

I find it funny the overwhelming people who think rap is some sort of super skill as well.

Upvote 0
And now tommy has started an android forums war! :p

Hip-hip is obviously not a genre that takes immense talent compared to other genres. But the majority of people could not sit there and make a great beat and then rap over it. Lil Wayne is pretty decent compared to what else has been coming out imo, but if he was releasing what he has been during the Chronic 2001, MMLP, GRODT, time frame he would not be relevant. And the further back you go the less and less anyone would care.

On another note, anyone who just groups a single genre and says it sucks does not deserve to speak on music... Just because YOU dont like something does not mean it sucks...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Lol really?

I find it funny the overwhelming people who think rap is some sort of super skill as well.

Odd, ain't it?

I know what musical skill is and I know your typical rapper lacks the necessisary skills one requires to be termed a musician. Just bad speaking and occasionally violent poetry set to crappy "music."

One could argue that rap is a special kind of music and the end results do not demand skill or much effort, so taking about the lack of musical skill really does not matter, because it never really existed. Poor analogy, admittedly.

Or, perhaps it is like the baking a vanilla cupcake compared to baking a 12 tier wedding cake. Both are cakes but one requires consummate skill and effort. Rappers create horribly burnt and lopsided cupcakes, and musicians create luscious cakes the Queen would b proud to serve.

I think there are good rappers and bad rappers. I do not allow the crap into my little brain so I do not know if Two Six Pack is as good as or worse than Little Felony or Wayne, or whatever. I do know we allow this crap to exist because we are silly Americans and we seem to allow all manner of crap and corruption.

I say history will judge rap and let the market decide if it is to remain.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones