• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So apparently I started a "Facebook War"

And now tommy has started an android forums war! :p

Hip-hip is obviously not a genre that takes immense talent compared to other genres. But the majority of people could not sit there and make a great beat and then rap over it. Lil Wayne is pretty decent compared to what else has been coming out imo, but if he was releasing what he has been during the Chronic 2001, MMLP, GRODT, time frame he would not be relevant. And the further back you go the less and less anyone would care.

On another note, anyone who just groups a single genre and says it sucks does not deserve to speak on music... Just because YOU dont like something does not mean it sucks...

I disagree. But I come from a musical background where skills were required to create music that would be/will be accepted. I was at a recent recital and it was sad. These musicians clearly lacked some very important fundamentals and nobody liked the result. We were certainly justified in our criticism of the effort because it was so sad.

Those musicians had no business performing because they were terrible.

If I decide to create a new genre of music that demands that practitioners not know anything about music, should they be praised for their effort or told to spend more time practicing and less time trying to become professional musicians? Perhaps they stand and make tuba, banjo, and zither sounds mixed with live recording of kittens being shaved against their will. Is that music?

No, it is crap that deserves to be ignored and made fun of because not everything the human can conceive of is musical or the least bit valuable.

Apparently, we have allowed ourselves to become always accepting of other's work and we dare not say boo or we are told that we just do not understand and therefore, we should STFU. Sorry, but crap is crap and bad is bad, and rap is the worse musical form yet devised. It is driven by a desire for bling and the accumulation of stuff to fill the cribs of demonstrably (not all of them, mind you) ignorant and under educated and occasionally violent blacks with zero musical ability.

They need to be told to stop it, stop it right now. If they want to be musicians, I suggest Julliard and twenty years of practice. Then we will talk.

It is time people simply say that rap is crap, end of story.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
Right after you make me a progressive rock song. I expect a 60:00 minute fully self written music, played, and sung as well. Here's some influence to go by:

See the difference?

I asked you first. ;)
Also, I never stated that it wasn't difficult to make a song like that.
You said rap is no skill, so I would love to see you make a rap song.

Also, no I don't see a difference.
You think rap sucks, and I think Dreamtheater is horrible.
I'm glad the drummer quit.

Also, based on your username I totally expected an answer like that with a DT or Slipknot song. :D

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
rap sucks, but that doesnt make it any less a style of music, alot of people find the music I like to suck, doesnt make it less musical (primus ftw). as long as there is a market for the genre it will thrie, and there will always be a market for rap, just like there is always a market for emo, pop, country and other musical genres that are pretty crappy as well. Best we can do is ignor the music we dont like and support the artists we do so that way good music doesnt die.

Upvote 0
Make me a rap song.

Beat, lyrics, flow, and production ... I expect a 3:30 track by this time tomorrow.

Are you suggesting that some of us that criticize rap do not have a right to do so unless we can create a three minute track with what you consider to be a proper beat, flow, and suitable production? Help me understand your specific point.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
I asked you first. ;)
Also, I never stated that it wasn't difficult to make a song like that.
You said rap is no skill, so I would love to see you make a rap song.

Also, no I don't see a difference.
You think rap sucks, and I think Dreamtheater is horrible.
I'm glad the drummer quit.

Also, based on your username I totally expected an answer like that with a DT or Slipknot song. :D

the funny thing is... for him to make a rap song like lil wayne does, someone ELSE has to make the beat FOR him, then he can just spout some nonsense over it. This requires little to no music skills. Especially since he will be auto-tuned. All he has to do it make some sentences that rhyme. And considering he's allowed to make up words to rhyme with (since lil wayne does), a fourth grader should be able to pull that off.

If you tried to write a song similar to dream theater, or ANY rock song for that matter, you would be mind****ed, since you don't actually play an instrument. See the difference in talent requirements?

and you can say dream theater sucks all you want, but each band member has four years of the best musical college in the country (berkely) to back up their music. All lil wayne has is baggy pants and a poor family.

Upvote 0
Right after you make me a progressive rock song. I expect a 60:00 minute fully self written music, played, and sung as well. Here's some influence to go by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0wk7pw5pqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YavNkvo5VyI&feature=related

See the difference?

Hey, thanks for the link. I think I like it; too bad there are no Lutes and banjos.

I wonder if rap will survive and how history will consider the efort. My guess is eventually, it wil move on and out and into the history books. I fear it is just another sign that we silly people will simply accept all manner of crap as art and shame on us for suggesting that rap is crap.

The videos you posted I think I like, but for the other side, try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWk8TwaqXBI

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw

Bob Maxey.

Upvote 0
the funny thing is... for him to make a rap song like lil wayne does, someone ELSE has to make the beat FOR him, then he can just spout some nonsense over it. This requires little to no music skills. Especially since he will be auto-tuned. All he has to do it make some sentences that rhyme. And considering he's allowed to make up words to rhyme with (since lil wayne does), a fourth grader should be able to pull that off.

If you tried to write a song similar to dream theater, or ANY rock song for that matter, you would be mind****ed, since you don't actually play an instrument. See the difference in talent requirements?

and you can say dream theater sucks all you want, but each band member has four years of the best musical college in the country (berkely) to back up their music. All lil wayne has is baggy pants and a poor family.

I agree. Although I am not sure his family

Upvote 0
I disagree. But I come from a musical background where skills were required to create music that would be/will be accepted. I was at a recent recital and it was sad. These musicians clearly lacked some very important fundamentals and nobody liked the result. We were certainly justified in our criticism of the effort because it was so sad.

Those musicians had no business performing because they were terrible.

If I decide to create a new genre of music that demands that practitioners not know anything about music, should they be praised for their effort or told to spend more time practicing and less time trying to become professional musicians? Perhaps they stand and make tuba, banjo, and zither sounds mixed with live recording of kittens being shaved against their will. Is that music?

No, it is crap that deserves to be ignored and made fun of because not everything the human can conceive of is musical or the least bit valuable.

Apparently, we have allowed ourselves to become always accepting of other's work and we dare not say boo or we are told that we just do not understand and therefore, we should STFU. Sorry, but crap is crap and bad is bad, and rap is the worse musical form yet devised. It is driven by a desire for bling and the accumulation of stuff to fill the cribs of demonstrably (not all of them, mind you) ignorant and under educated and occasionally violent blacks with zero musical ability.

They need to be told to stop it, stop it right now. If they want to be musicians, I suggest Julliard and twenty years of practice. Then we will talk.

It is time people simply say that rap is crap, end of story.

Bob Maxey
Elitism at its finest. You call rap ignorant, but then you yourself sit here and lump all hip hop as one category and say it sucks. Nobody should make music unless they go to Julliard and make music you enjoy. Classy.

Upvote 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0wk7pw5pqA

See the difference?
! I heard this song in a slummy dive bar a long while ago.. never figured out who it was. Thank you!

It is always this incredible feeling when you rediscover a song you had been looking for.

Upvote 0
Are you suggesting that some of us that criticize rap do not have a right to do so unless we can create a three minute track with what you consider to be a proper beat, flow, and suitable production? Help me understand your specific point.

Bob Maxey
Ay there little bobby,
Congrats on your shortest post on this forum so far.

No, that isn't what I suggested at all.
I suggested that the person who said "it's no super skill" to make a rap song, to make one for all of us to hear.

I don't think he has the super skills necessary to make a proper rap song.
Anyone can write down rhymes, but to incorporate them to the beat, and have proper flow ... is not very easy.

Wrong, I do play an instrument. I play guitar.
I've been in several bands, but never any wussy garbage like that.

Also, Lil Wayne went to art school too.

Anything else you don't know that you'd like to spout about? :D :p

waynehand.jpg

Upvote 0
Ay there little bobby,
Congrats on your shortest post on this forum so far.

No, that isn't what I suggested at all.
I suggested that the person who said "it's no super skill" to make a rap song, to make one for all of us to hear.

I don't think he has the super skills necessary to make a proper rap song.
Anyone can write down rhymes, but to incorporate them to the beat, and have proper flow ... is not very easy.

Wrong, I do play an instrument. I play guitar.
I've been in several bands, but never any wussy garbage like that.

Also, Lil Wayne went to art school too.

Anything else you don't know that you'd like to spout about? :D :p

Going to art school does not a musician make. And lots of people play guitar but are not necessisarily worth listening to or ready for a career in music.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
Rap sucks?

*runs and hides*
Thanks for your super intelligent comment!!! Let me guess. You think rap sucks, but you think country is awesome?

You people have to realize most rap songs are written and sung by some of the dumbest, most unintelligent people on the planet. Lots of times their songs don't make sense. Lots of times the song isn't English it's ebonics. If you don't take it seriously and just have fun with it some of the songs are good.

Can you seriously believe a guy who sings about how rich he is, how many cars he has, and how big his yacht and mansion are on his first single? Lots of rappers do that. But it's like you haven't even made a dime yet. You drive a Honda Civic not a Lambo.

Reactions: NYdroid33
Upvote 0
This has gone from "Lil Wayne is bad" to straight up bigotry and damn near borderline racism.

I can understand if rap music isn't your thing but to sit here and make condescending statements regarding the entire genre is ignorant at best. It's 2010, you need to grow the f*ck up.

... and yes I'm looking at you Maxey and half of your nonsensical posts

Upvote 0
To each their own, I say. Some will always think that they have the "BEST" taste in music. Like has been said before, it is completely subjective. How 'bout this; we ALL can enjoy what we enjoy. Who gives a $hit what anyone else thinks? I don't need to justify what I do to anyone.

And quit feeding the troll. He obviously can't back anything he says up, so really, lets ignore him. Vague generalizations do nothing for his arguments. ;)

**Runs away to listen to some terrible music**

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones