• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (SOLVED) galaxy s3 picture crop question?

I have switched from IOS and have a question. If I had a picture that I had taken and it was in my gallery I could open my gallery/tap on the pic/and I could then tap on "crop" and I could use my fingers to ZOOM in on something and make it big(like if you had a picture of your lawn and there was a bird sitting there, you could make the bird big) then I could tap on save and it would change the pic to the new zoomed in picand put it in my gallery.
With my samsung galaxy s3 I can be looking at my pic, I can zoom in if I want, I can also be looking at the pic and tap on settings and there is an option for crop, but there is NO way that I have found to save the pic. If you are browsing pics and zoom in on one with the s3 there is no way to save the zoomed in version, and with the cropping option in setting you can't zoom at all.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice.

When you have the picture opened, use bottom left soft key on phone and select crop from menu. Select part of pic you want using the rectangle on screen then tap on "Done", new selection is then saved in your gallery. Very easily done. Good luck

Hello, when you are looking at the pic, then go into settings, then tap on crop, you get the rectangle, BUT you can not zoom into anything on the pic and enlarge any part of the pic. On IOS it was the same thing but I could be in "crop" and zoom in and make a part of the pic bigger and then hit save pic.
I hope I am making sense. I like to take a picture and then I like to zoom in on certain things and save those pics to gallery.

Upvote 0
Sorry buckeye, I am not getting what you mean. If I have a pic open, hit soft menu then crop and crop part of the pic. When I hit done that part of the pic is saved as a new pic and shows as full screen so in effect I have zoomed in, i.e. taken a small part of the picture and made that part full screen. Sorry if this is not what you are getting at, I have not used an iphone so not sure how it would work with what you are explaining. Hope you get it sorted.

Upvote 0
ok, if you just open a regular pic from your gallery and you are looking at the pic, take 2 fingers and pinch outward on the pic, you will be "zooming" in on some part of the pic that your fingers are touching. Now that you have zoomed in, you should be able to save that as a "new" pic to the gallery. In IOS when you are looking at a pic you can tap "crop" and then zoom in and then hit save and a new pic will be in your gallery. When I hit crop on my S3, yes it let's me choose a part of the pic to save, but you are not able to zoom and make that part bigger.

Upvote 0
ok, if you just open a regular pic from your gallery and you are looking at the pic, take 2 fingers and pinch outward on the pic, you will be "zooming" in on some part of the pic that your fingers are touching. Now that you have zoomed in, you should be able to save that as a "new" pic to the gallery. In IOS when you are looking at a pic you can tap "crop" and then zoom in and then hit save and a new pic will be in your gallery. When I hit crop on my S3, yes it let's me choose a part of the pic to save, but you are not able to zoom and make that part bigger.

The 2 ways of cropping (on the iPhone and the GS3) are doing exactly the same thing, just in a different way...I think what Buckeye is getting at is he can see full screen on the iPhone what his cropped picture will look like, whereas you still see the full picture on the GS3...have you tried the other gallery suggestion (I have never tried it, so don't know if it will do what you want)

Upvote 0
OK OK, I figured it out. When using the iphone you pinch out on the picture and then save the new zoomed in pic, on the galaxy you tap settings then crop then you see the rectangle on your pic. You pinch the rectangle on the part of your pic you want to zoom into and then press done and it will give you a new zoomed in pic in your gallery. What was throwing me off was that you DO NOT get a preview of the zoomed in pic on the galaxy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones