• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Some flashable tweaks (Init.d, V6SuperCharger) CWM date/time hack

So I just flash this in CWM and it should fix the date issue rather than replacing the recovery altogether?

No. There's two components.

There's an on shutdown/reboot event that writes the time to cache that has to run within the rom.

In the recovery image I posted, there's a modification in /sbin/postrecoveryboot.sh that reads the file from cache to set the time.

If you don't have both pieces, it won't change anything in recovery.

The links here though are pretty much unmaintained. I rolled them all into a single zip which I posted here: http://androidforums.com/spectrum-all-things-root/717402-enhanced-init-d-simulated-run-levels.html

This also tells you how to replace the recovery with the modified one.

Upvote 0
From Yoinx: Universal Init.d Support
Dev-Host - enable_init.d.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

what does this do?

Nothing that most people would notice. Init.d is a linux concept for run levels. IE. Your computer goes through different phases while booting up or shutting down.

Most init.d support for android is simply a modification to (typing from work so this is off the top of my head) to /system/bin/sysinit (maybe) to execute the scripts in /system/etc/init.d. The script is file is called from the init.rc within the ramdisk when bootup is complete (ie. when the bootanimation is gone).

I believe that's what i had done on this file. I stopped doing anything with it or thinking about it because I rolled all the mods I tended to have to re-apply after a rom flash into one zip (linked in my previous post). Which actually applies a different hack that still leaves the standard init.d support but also adds runlevels for things like once the file system is mounted, once boot is complete, once the bootanimation starts, once it stops, when you choose to shutdown or reboot etc. The enhanced one though actually ended up being more reliable than the one in this thread for even the single run level. The one in this thread doesnt always trigger correctly.

Like I said, really the average user probably wouldn't have much use for these. Unless you need to run something each boot from the terminal. For instance, disabling the capacitive button backlights (menu, home, back) to get rid of the blinding white light. Which is what the disable zip does in this thread.... but it won't work without the init.d one.

If you try these... make a nandroid first... just in case.

Reactions: PrinceCorwin
Upvote 0
Thanx for another lesson in submersive Greek. lol.

On anothernote... would you recommend I run the supercharger script? I've downloaded it and I'm flashing Chameleon as I type. Should I add the V6?

TBH I havent tried chameleon... so i have no idea what tweaks/hacks/etc that have been baked into that kang.

Personally, I always swear by the V6 supercharger script. However, keep in mind that it needs init.d support to run. I've seen people who say it does nothing. I've seen plenty of people who love it.

Typically, I can't help but wonder if the people who hate it/say it doesn't do anything actually had init.d enabled. *shrug*.

Either way, I've always noticed more responsiveness in the ui when I use it. YMMV.

Upvote 0
Thanx for another lesson in submersive Greek. lol.

On anothernote... would you recommend I run the supercharger script? I've downloaded it and I'm flashing Chameleon as I type. Should I add the V6?

Seems like you've gotten pretty comfortable flashing, but make sure you have a good backup and some extra time when you try it. I've tried it twice, both times ended up doing a full wipe and clean ROM flash after to get rid of all the problems it caused. Seems to work great for some people, just saying be aware that it may cause problems too. ;)

Upvote 0
Seems like you've gotten pretty comfortable flashing, but make sure you have a good backup and some extra time when you try it. I've tried it twice, both times ended up doing a full wipe and clean ROM flash after to get rid of all the problems it caused. Seems to work great for some people, just saying be aware that it may cause problems too. ;)

If you ever try it again and have it mess your rom up like that again... any chance you could send me a nandroid of the messed up system partition? I'm curious what exactly is going on, even though it's not script.

The only reason that I can think that it might have messed anything up would be a memory size mismatch. IE: you have 512 megs of ram, but set it to use the 1000hp settings. (in case you didn't know the xxxxhp equates to the amount of ram you have). Becuase setting this too high would basically make the phone think it's always out of ram.

Upvote 0
I actually quit updating these. I rolled everything into 2 packages into the other thread. That version is actually only supposed to write to the cache once on reboot instead of every thirty seconds. Though, I've been having some issues getting that setup to work for folks.

Tbh, this thread should just be closed/deleted as it won't be maintained.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones