• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some problems with my S3 (ATT)

l1ld3v1lrydr

Jul 28, 2013
Hello everyone, new guy here just joined to see if I could find/get some answers on some issues I've been having with my S3 as of late. Some back round on the phone. I purchased it from my ATT store back in December, upgrading from the HTC Inspire (much better phone IMO). Phone ran great for the longest time... First things I started to notice was the battery life started to dwindle down. When I got the phone I used the battery all the way down til dead, then charged it fully. Lasted a day or two with out needing a charge. Next thing I noticed was I needed to started deleting text messages that piled up from the same person. It would make my messaging run super slow! Then the phone stated to not run as fast... So I finally updated to the new version a few months back. No real complaints from the update. But the phone runs super slow when messaging, starting a new message or adding a photo to a message. I can now type almost a full message before it even pops up on the screen. Or when adding a photo to a message, I'll start typing the message and nothing at all will happen til I get half the message typed then it starts popping up half way through what I was saying. Battery life is down to about a half a day if I use the phone at all through out the day (and all I do is check FB, and my email, and randomly texting people). The phone it self has a little bit of lag but nothing to really complain about. Also, internet runs pretty good. Just my messaging is super slow. And, the last 3 months or so I've been going over my data usage allowed per month. When I first got the phone I wasn't even going near the limit, and I haven't changed anything, not doing anything different than I was then, and now I'm going over. I have a 2gb plan.

Things I've searched/tried to do to make the phone faster...

Resetting the phone
Pulling the battery to reset the phone
Tried different messaging key boards
I have JuiceDefender downloaded and running... Didn't really seem really change much
I keep text messages cleared or delete them after a few weeks.

Hold the home key and get in to active apps, click end all. and then clear the memory. I usually do this like 4 times a day. My google play music was always running, even if I closed it, check it an hr later and it would be back up and running, so I uninstalled the app. Now that isn't open every time I check active apps.

System storage says: 3.04/12.05
SD card storage says: 5.30/7.39
Running android version: 4.1.1

I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting that I tried. I just can't remember them. I'm just trying to see if theres something I'm missing, if the phone is messed up or if rooting it will actually fix my issues.

Thanks in advance!

My opinion rooting the phone, putting a better rom on it is always the way to go, lol
Many of the things you have mentioned, battery running down faster, data usage up, indicate something is running and sending/receiving data. You may want to use a tool that checks your phones wakelocks. I can not recall what the tool is but it will help isolate problems.

Upvote 0
My opinion rooting the phone, putting a better rom on it is always the way to go, lol
Many of the things you have mentioned, battery running down faster, data usage up, indicate something is running and sending/receiving data. You may want to use a tool that checks your phones wakelocks. I can not recall what the tool is but it will help isolate problems.

Thats what I was thinking. But I can't pin point what app it would be... I don't really down load any apps like I hear some people do. I was leaning towards the Google Play Music app running up my data usage and running my battery life down because I never use the app but it was always shown as running in my active apps window. So I went to my app store and uninstalled the app. And now it isn't there anymore, but I just did that earlier this week.

Also, I've put my screen brightness down to like 0 to prolong battery life. It has helped a little.

Upvote 0
You might try wiping the cache partition, do the following:
1. Turn off the device.
2. Press and hold the Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key at the same time.
3. When the phone vibrates, let go of the buttons.
4. Press the Volume Down key to move to and highlight wipe cache partition.
5. Press the Power key to select and wipe the cache partition.
6. After the wipe is finished, go back up till reboot system now is highlighted and press the Power key to restart the phone.

Upvote 0
You might try wiping the cache partition, do the following:
1. Turn off the device.
2. Press and hold the Volume Up key, Home key, and Power key at the same time.
3. When the phone vibrates, let go of the buttons.
4. Press the Volume Down key to move to and highlight wipe cache partition.
5. Press the Power key to select and wipe the cache partition.
6. After the wipe is finished, go back up till reboot system now is highlighted and press the Power key to restart the phone.

That was another thing I've already tried. Didn't change anything. Any other options?

Will rooting my phone for sure fix all those issues?

Upvote 0
That was another thing I've already tried. Didn't change anything. Any other options?

Will rooting my phone for sure fix all those issues?
Unfortunately Very little in this life is "guaranteed" Except Death and Taxes :p

Rooting it by itself will do very little, from a rooted phone you could do things to fix the problem that you may not be able to do as it is.

Or better yet put a rom on that is already customized and hopefully has the issues fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones