• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sony Xperia XZ3 H9436 (Possible cell radio problem) Restarts without plane mode.

Oldschool297

Sep 13, 2022
I have a problem with my Sony Xperia XZ3 H9436 it restarts after a halv or in a minute in normal mode. Even with a sim or without. It only works without restarts in plane mode or in safe mode with plane mode. I have android 10. I have tried to turn of side sensor and one hand sensor since another had that problem. Is there any way to test the cell radio? I doubt i can use secret codes in the phone since i can't use a sim. The wifi also works in plane mode.

Unexpected restarts is much more likely to mean the battery is knackered, is unable to power the phone properly, and needs replacing. Especially given that it's only working in flight mode, as that does require less power with the cellular radios turned off. Same with safe mode, with only the system apps and service running.

This Sony is four years old now, and it could be the battery is just worn out.

Upvote 0
I forgot to wrote that this phone had been dropped so the glass backside was cracked. I removed it and the battery was connected right. It works fine in safe mode with plane mode or in normal mode with plane mode and wifi. But not without plane mode. I can stream video in 1080p and record for 3h and have the batteri left and if you charge it to 100% it takes 10% a day if you won't have wifi or screen on. But you have a point. I don't know if the previous owner changed it.

Upvote 0
Yes but i like it as a media phone. Is there anyway to test the cell radio?
Test the cell radio? I'm not sure I understand. It can either be a software issue in which you can do a factory reset to try and fix it....or.... It could be a hardware issue in which repairs well need to be done to fix it.

There is no setting in the phone that you can toggle on or off to fix the issue.

Upvote 0
Yes plane mode turns off the thing that sends and recieve signals for the phone. It works in plane mode but without sim or with sim it don't work.

From my own experience, plus dozens of similar reports on AF over the years, I'm still sure it's much likely the battery is the problem and needs replacing, especially given the age of the phone. Because turning on the radios does consume more power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I ain't sure but it is possible. I can stream and record video with 76% in battery and after 40min got 66% left so the battery seeems good. You mean it takes more V or A with radios on? Is there anyway to test the battery?

It's the voltage needed to power the phone, and if the battery can't maintain that under extra load, like when using the cellular radios, you'll get reboots and other unpredictable behaviour. The LiPo batteries used in phones do have a finite life.

The only way to test it apart from replacing it, is to get a voltmeter and measure the battery voltage under load.

I'm pretty sure it's not the radios at fault, as they either work or they don't. And also even if they are faulty, nothing can be done, apart from replacing the whole main logic board. As they're integrated into the main chipsets.

Reactions: Oldschool297
Upvote 0
I find the sim but it restarts after so i can't check. Thanks for the batteri tip i will try. It is a little more complicated to remove batteri in this phone as the motherboard must be removed, in my Sony Xperia Xa F3111 it is only a piece of tape that has to be removed. Shouldn't it take more voltage to stream and record video in 1080p or play games? The radio must take much power. But i will give it a try.

Upvote 0
I turned off the location mode for weather and it has worked fine for 1 day. I ordered a new battery. But it seems more complicated to change in this phone. If you don't put the backside on before trying so the camera and all the things works after a change it may go good. It seems to be both sim and gps that is the fault right now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones