• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sound quality worse on an Orange branded phone?

Merk1981

Dec 1, 2010
Hi

Until recently I had an unbranded DHD on Android 2.3.3, although this was on a contract with Orange. My speakers blew so Orange sent out a replacement. Unfortunately, this version came with all of the Orange bloatware and is still on Android 2.2.1.

The bloatware is annoying but I can live it. One thing I can't live with though is the poor sound quality and low volume that now plagues the phone when listening to music through my earphones. The slightest bit of background noise now drowns out any of the music making my DHD now unusable as a music player.

I'm aware that the 2.3 update increased the volume of the speakers (and I'm sure blew mine but that's another story), however, the sound quality and volume on my old phone both with 2.2 and 2.3 was far superior to what I have now.

Is there any chance that Orange have somehow messed up the sound or deliberately lowered the volume whilst filling it full of their corporate junk?

Is there any chance that Orange have somehow messed up the sound or deliberately lowered the volume whilst filling it full of their corporate junk?

Unless they somehow managed to put some sort of software limitation on the device, I wouldn't have thought so. That said though, I'm on Orange and my phone came with all their junk on it, but I did root my phone and would have thought that, when I rooted and installed custom ROMs, that the volume would go back up again (but it didn't).

I wouldn't have thought that HTC would allow Orange to limit their device though... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Unless they somehow managed to put some sort of software limitation on the device, I wouldn't have thought so. That said though, I'm on Orange and my phone came with all their junk on it, but I did root my phone and would have thought that, when I rooted and installed custom ROMs, that the volume would go back up again (but it didn't).

I wouldn't have thought that HTC would allow Orange to limit their device though... :thinking:

Cheers. Yeah I would have thought if my theory was right, you would have noticed an increase in volume after rooting. Maybe they just sent me a faulty phone?

Upvote 0
Cheers. Yeah I would have thought if my theory was right, you would have noticed an increase in volume after rooting. Maybe they just sent me a faulty phone?

I'm on CM7 at the moment and I've noticed a definite decrease in the volume.

Could be a faulty phone, as far as I'm aware, the phones they send are refurbished?

Upvote 0
I'm on CM7 at the moment and I've noticed a definite decrease in the volume.

Could be a faulty phone, as far as I'm aware, the phones they send are refurbished?

Refurbished phone could be the cause - hadn't thought of that... on my last contract (a nokia - I forget which one though), I paid for the better insurance, which meant that you definately got a brand new phone... haven't really looked at the insurance on Orange - wonder if they offer the same thing?!?!

Upvote 0
Refurbished phone could be the cause - hadn't thought of that... on my last contract (a nokia - I forget which one though), I paid for the better insurance, which meant that you definately got a brand new phone... haven't really looked at the insurance on Orange - wonder if they offer the same thing?!?!

Just had a scan through their T&C's, they don't but it's a good idea.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones