• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speeds for sprints 3G in my area.

In Waukesha, WI (near Milwaukee)...a local Sprint store manager said I should be happy with 0.30Mbps. It is common for me to get .05-.15Mbps. We NEVER got WiMax in our area.

A lot of the Sprint nuthuggers here would definitely be singing another tune if they received those type of data speeds along with the poor reception for calls.

I would switch to Verizon after my contract expires but their customer service is as bad as AOL's was back in the dialup days. I'd pay for their better service if I could trust them not to screw me over. My wife unsuccessfully tried to activate an Apple iPhone4S on their network. She returned it the next day and stayed with Sprint. I've been fighting with Verizon for over four months to get the ETF and activation fee waived. Verizon apparently doesn't like following the law.

I had good service with AT&T before the smartphone boom. They are very expensive so I will take a hard look at US Cellular before making a final decision. Perhaps Sprint can get their shit together before then but I don't have much faith for them paying much attention to Wisconsin. Time will tell.

I would imagine that Milwaukee would see some love, but it might take a little bit longer for the outskirts areas to. Hopefully, Sprint works out some roaming deals with the local LTE ISPs.

Upvote 0
I love sprint so far best choice I mad was switching to the iPhone 4s with sprint. Good luck to thoughs of you who are having slow speeds but it should get better you can only go down so far until you bounce back up NV is on its ways and if you are having problems at home tell them you want an airwave its help my speeds out a lot I think when I'm at home there free too

Upvote 0
I love sprint so far best choice I mad was switching to the iPhone 4s with sprint. Good luck to thoughs of you who are having slow speeds but it should get better you can only go down so far until you bounce back up NV is on its ways and if you are having problems at home tell them you want an airwave its help my speeds out a lot I think when I'm at home there free too

Sprint gave me a free Airave. It helped for a week and then stopped text messages from being sent out on my Samsung Epic 4G. Eight months later, Airave support still hasn't resolved that issue so I have to leave it turned off.

With that said, Sprint customer service is mostly friendly and try to help if they can.

Upvote 0
Sprint gave me a free Airave. It helped for a week and then stopped text messages from being sent out on my Samsung Epic 4G. Eight months later, Airave support still hasn't resolved that issue so I have to leave it turned off.

With that said, Sprint customer service is mostly friendly and try to help if they can.

Yea they are very friendly and I opened my mouth to soon my airwave is making my voice way way bad horrible but it's because of my home Internet is through bright House and is absolutely shitty I've never had such horrible service in my life bright house is horrible I am going to unplugs if from my router and see what happens

Upvote 0
I love sprint so far best choice I mad was switching to the iPhone 4s with sprint.

seriously? That's what drove mt to get Verizon. 3G speeds on the iPhone here are truly pathetic. I was lucky to get 500kbps down :rolleyes: judging from the hundreds of pages with people who have the 4s complaining about its speeds on Sprints forum, guess I was not alone. The WiMAX speeds were decent but my phone would be dead in like 6 hours running a constant 4G signal. Switching to Verizon and getting the Razr Maxx has been the best move for me. Double the speeds and like 5 times the battery life. Hopefully Sprint gets their crap together with the new network cause unlimited data was nice,

Upvote 0
seriously? That's what drove mt to get Verizon. 3G speeds on the iPhone here are truly pathetic. I was lucky to get 500kbps down :rolleyes: judging from the hundreds of pages with people who have the 4s complaining about its speeds on Sprints forum, guess I was not alone. The WiMAX speeds were decent but my phone would be dead in like 6 hours running a constant 4G signal. Switching to Verizon and getting the Razr Maxx has been the best move for me. Double the speeds and like 5 times the battery life. Hopefully Sprint gets their crap together with the new network cause unlimited data was nice,

based on his speeds above, I bet he's pretty serious.

Upvote 0

With Sprint, I was lucky to get half of your 500kbps. It was truly terrible. When I was actually able to connect to 4G, it would never top 2 Mb/s. Obviously the Maxx is gonna get crazy good battery life, but the speeds are ridiculously better, even 3G. I routinely get 10-15 MB/s on 4G easily.

In Waukesha, WI (near Milwaukee)...a local Sprint store manager said I should be happy with 0.30Mbps. It is common for me to get .05-.15Mbps. We NEVER got WiMax in our area.

A lot of the Sprint nuthuggers here would definitely be singing another tune if they received those type of data speeds along with the poor reception for calls.

I would switch to Verizon after my contract expires but their customer service is as bad as AOL's was back in the dialup days. I'd pay for their better service if I could trust them not to screw me over. My wife unsuccessfully tried to activate an Apple iPhone4S on their network. She returned it the next day and stayed with Sprint. I've been fighting with Verizon for over four months to get the ETF and activation fee waived. Verizon apparently doesn't like following the law.

I personally got tired of Sprint's horrible data speeds. Sure Network Vision is coming, but I'm not gonna wait 6-12 months. I ETF'd my contract with Sprint and jumped to Verizon. It's $10-15 more a month, but I'll gladly pay it for good 3G speeds and fantastic 4G.

Upvote 0
Since I don't do Speed Tests, I really cannot comment on the speeds per say, but I have noticed that recently the 3G has gotten spotty. I have a HTC EVO for personal and a Blackberry 9930 (that I also pay for) for work, and I have noticed at times, even with full bars in 3G, I have had my phone browser freeze.

Oddly enough, when I can connect to 4G it seems to work well.

My personal guess, as others have mentioned, is that the spotty service is due to the Network Vision upgrade.

While I am not one of those that have to have fast data speeds, I do agree that having your browser freeze or worse, phone freeze, that is frustrating.

Like others have said, I hope that things get better with the Network Vision upgrades.

Upvote 0

Just so you know, there is a new Airave out that you can call up and swap out with the older version. Just tell them that you are having some technical difficulties with the current model.

Since I don't do Speed Tests, I really cannot comment on the speeds per say, but I have noticed that recently the 3G has gotten spotty. I have a HTC EVO for personal and a Blackberry 9930 (that I also pay for) for work, and I have noticed at times, even with full bars in 3G, I have had my phone browser freeze.

Oddly enough, when I can connect to 4G it seems to work well.

My personal guess, as others have mentioned, is that the spotty service is due to the Network Vision upgrade.

While I am not one of those that have to have fast data speeds, I do agree that having your browser freeze or worse, phone freeze, that is frustrating.

Like others have said, I hope that things get better with the Network Vision upgrades.

Are you saying the application froze? If so, that has nothing to do with Sprint's network and everything to do with the phone/application being used.

Upvote 0
Where do you get these speeds in Oakland? Is Oakland the exception to the rest of the bay Area? Even Silly Valley has crappy speeds.

I live in SF and literally within 1/4 mile of 2 towers (which Sprint finally admitted are overloaded and are being "updated"). Meanwhile no matter where I am in SF and even in San Mateo, for the past 6 months I rarely get above 1 MB down and of course with the Galaxy, you get the lovely "sudden- Loss of Signal." Although my wife's Optimus gets a stronger signal, she too has had slow data in the past 6 months no matter where she goes. he same can be said for almost everyone I know on Sprint.

I think that anyone like me who has been a 10+ yr loyal Sprint customer should do what I have been doing lately- call and report the issue and get a ticket #. Also file complaints with the BBB and FCC. Most importantly, ensure that they keep your ticket "OPEN" until you get better speeds.

I am now in touch with my 3rd manager in the "Employees Helping Customers" group and even though I am sick of spelling it out to them, the bottom line is that Sprint is in financial trouble and is loosing customers left and right . Charging people an extra $10.00 (which they initially said was for the 4G that barely anyone can get even now(cannot stay connected anywhere in the bay Area for more than 5 minutes) is just plain WRONG when they know their network sucks now. I am basically refusing to pay the extra $10.00/month until they (A) swap out my 4th defective Galaxy S2 or trade me into a similar phone. Problem is that there aren't any Sprint phones as great as the Galaxy 2. The new LTE phones - Nexus, HTC - both have certain drawbacks, such as non-removable batteries or upgradable storage.

The Mobile industry in the US seriously needs some laws and regulations to protect consumers. I know some people would say "just pay the ETF and move to another provider." First, I would NEVER and either should anyone, pay an ETF when you have legitimate issues. i worked for law firms and I can tell you that if you do decide to port your number from any provider for legitimate reasons, DO NOT pay the ETF. When they call you from collection agencies, ask them nicely to never call you. if they call again, file an online complaint with the various Gov't agencies. They will stop calling.

Although i rarely reach even 1 GB of data/month, I still do not want the bill shock that most people get on ATT and especially VZ 4G when they go over. Also, data should be unlimite when most free apps use your data for advertising. Also, text messages should be unlimited on every carrier as well, like they used to be.

All I want is for Sprint to actually "value" their customers and accept that we consumers should NOT be forced to pay more right now, (no matter how they all follow the same BS lines about "Premium Data."while they spend the next 2 yrs upgrading.

Peace Out

I may have less to complain about. Just now I got 1738kbps down and 462kbps up on 3g here in Oakland, CA. Since 4/14/2012 I've seen download speeds consistently 1400kbps or better. Before that I was lucky to get 500kbps. Maybe they've upgraded a tower or two around here recently. Now they justneed to improve 3g in Berkeley, CA where I work and I'll be set. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones