• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint horror story

Sprints reply today

Thank you for speaking with me today, 10/13/2010. As discussed, I have
contacted the store and spoke with the Assistant Manager regarding the
matter you brought to our attention. I was informed that you notified
the technicians there was coffee accidently spilled on the phone. The
manager also advised me the technician showed you where the coffee had
gotten on the motherboard. The technicians then dried the remaining
liquid on the phone to see if it would work. Unfortunately, due to the
liquid damage they were unable to fix the phone and referred you to
Asurion. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience regarding this
matter. As mentioned during our conversation, your account is still
within the 45 day window to port your number back into Sprint. If you
would like to have your phone replaced we can process a replacement
claim with Asurion. The deductible for the HTC Evo is currently $100.

I understand you were not satisfied with the resolution that I provided
you. Please reply if you would like for me to forward your case to my
management team for further review. If you would like for a member of
my management to follow up with you please advised of a convenient day
and time. I want to thank you for choosing Sprint and if you have any
questions or need additional assistance I can be reach at 000.000.0000
or by replying to this email. I am in the office Monday thru Thursday
9AM-7PM and Friday 9AM-1PM EST.

I spilled coffee on the EVO? LOLOL

I asked him on the phone if he had the video and his reply was he did not have access to the video... I asked why they could not burn a copy to a DVD or a CD and send it to him and he had NO response...

How convenient for Sprint that the tape I was told existed now does not... If I was in the wrong I bet it would exist...

Will file a complaint with the BBB and the State Attorney General's Office and go from there...

Here was my reply back to him

Reference our conversation today I would request a copy of the video that was claimed by the store assistant manager... The video can be burned to a CD or DVD and mailed to me at the below listed address... I believe I am within my legal right to ask for this video to show fraud and false statements made by Sprint management and employees... I would also request any and all documents and any any and all statements made by Sprint management and it's employees to you during this investigation. If audio tapes are available of your conversations, I would also request those be made available to me..

I will also reference this video in my filing with the Better Business Bureau and the Kansas State Attorney General Office..

Thank you

Upvote 0
Hmmm sounds like we may never know. Right now it's a case of he said / she said...sadly.

Do you have any photos of the phone prior to it being taken in? This may serve as a warning to the rest of us to take careful documented pictures of the phone right before we take it in for service??

That's why with cars they do a complete walk-around to note any damage, and have you sign off on existing damage before they take it in for service, at my dealer at least.

Upvote 0
Hmmm sounds like we may never know. Right now it's a case of he said / she said...sadly.

Do you have any photos of the phone prior to it being taken in? This may serve as a warning to the rest of us to take careful documented pictures of the phone right before we take it in for service??

That's why with cars they do a complete walk-around to note any damage, and have you sign off on existing damage before they take it in for service, at my dealer at least.

I don't have any photos but yes that would be a good thing to do in the future... Photos before taking it in for repair....

I have the phone and have offered to send it where ever they want, they passed... I also find it rather odd that the only proof I have, the video, is / was in their hands and now all the sudden it does not / did not exist...

I'd be willing to bet a large sum that it did exist at some point and was destroyed by the store prior to this investigation...

If it's a he / said she said, should they not take care of the customer? Not that this is case, as there was nothing wrong with my phone BUT... The Q should be asked.... No proof either way = screw the customer or take care of the customer?

Sprint is obviously not in the take care of customer mode...

Upvote 0
Agree with you...

With regards to the cameras, half the time they don't work, or they have such poor video quality that it's virtually useless. You see the robbery videos, the quality is atrocious. And there can be virtually no audio since the mic sucks. So I think you're SOL going down that route.

Oh I am sure I will never see the tape, and even if it was low quality, it would still show the Sprint tech all up in my face and snatching the phone out of my hand...

Just the fact that they said it existed and now it does not should make any reasonable person raise an eyebrow of doubt I would think...

Upvote 0
Hmmm I'm not sure why VZW would inspect it... good luck to you, hope it turns out well.

I don't trust Sprint.... One store calls another ect...

Best Buy and Verizon are my backup's if this Sprint store says it has water damage...

I will have to pay Best Buy and Verizon to inspect it, at my own cost... If all say it has water damage, then case closed... If Sprint says it does and Best Buy and Verizon says it does not, then I proceed to the next step...

I just have these other places set up in case I need the phone inspected by disinterested parties....

Upvote 0
Well good luck. I'm not sure Verizon's inspection would be valid, since they're a competitor to Sprint. Just might be a little bit biased, imho.

It would be very odd for them to get between Sprint and their customers, just like it would be very odd for Sprint to get involved in issues between Verizon and their customers...

Upvote 0
I am not worried about Sprint believing or accepting the findings from the other sources...

The independent findings will be used for the State Attorney General's Office and possible Small Claims Court after that....

If I need to pay for Best Buy and VZW to inspect the phone, it's not to try and get Sprint to believe or accept the findings...

Upvote 0
It would be very odd for them to get between Sprint and their customers, just like it would be very odd for Sprint to get involved in issues between Verizon and their customers...

You may be correct there... I originally purchased the phone from Best Buy and told them of the issue and why I want the phone inspected... Best Buy said no problem....

I did not however tell VZW the reason... I will check back with them and disclose why I want VZW to inspect it, and at that time, they may very well tell me to wizz off...

No problems if they do though, I will just need to find a 2nd disinterested party..

Edit to add:

Just talked to VZW store and disclosed why I want it inspected and they said NOPE....

So I have Best Buy as one independent source, any ideas on who could be a 2nd source?

Upvote 0
You may be correct there... I originally purchased the phone from Best Buy and told them of the issue and why I want the phone inspected... Best Buy said no problem....

I did not however tell VZW the reason... I will check back with them and disclose why I want VZW to inspect it, and at that time, they may very well tell me to wizz off...

No problems if they do though, I will just need to find a 2nd disinterested party..

Edit to add:

Just talked to VZW store and disclosed why I want it inspected and they said NOPE....

So I have Best Buy as one independent source, any ideas on who could be a 2nd source?
You could send the phone to HTC and see how far you get.

To be honest, the folks at BB are not the brightest or most technical. So anything they tell you, you should take with a grain of salt.

In fact, any results of their inspection will probably be meaningless / useless since they sell phones, and do not service the phones in the store. They send the phones to a repair facility outside of BB, so the in-store inspection is virtually useless.

By the way, this is one of the many reasons I don't carry either Sprint or Best Buy insurance, because I find that typically I personally know a hell of a lot more about my Android phones than any Sprint tech ever will, or anyone in retail outside of the manufacturer. I spend more time doing research on Android than most of the Sprint techs or Best Buy sales people will ever do. If I encounter issues, I typically can resolve it myself.

With your situation originally, if I had been in your shoes, I would have researched the issue to death, and tried at least a dozen if not more ways to do a software recovery, than rely on the monkeys at the retail stores to try to fix it for me.

Upvote 0
All of this over a phone.
Wow.
Ok.
First, if you are with verzion now, why are you bothering dealing with sprint? What is the point, lesson learned, unless none of this is true and you are just trolling. Next, did you go back the store with the manager there?
Next, why not just rma it to htc and be done with it?

You see, you are pounding sand, and making a drama show out of it. To be honest with you, it could have happen the way you said, but you are willing to let them play keep away with you. Just seems unreasonable to me.

If I walked into the store and had that happen to me. I would simply as to speak to the manager. If he was not available, I would ask for his number. Then I would, from the store call sprint services, tell them the story, have them talk to the tech guys. If that did not work, I would ask for photos of the damage, which they have to produce, and call the store manager from store, I would also have them produce the customer service for htc and call them from the store. I would not leave with out them producing pictures of the water damage, even if they cleaned it up. After I spoke to customer service over the phone, htc customer service over the phone, had photos taken of the water damage, written report of the damage to the phone, signed by both the tech and the manager, would I leave the store. Then I would take it to another service store, ask them to check it out. Producing all the above articles, if they back up the claim of the first people, then ask them for pictures of the damages, tell them it is for your lawyers. Lastly, I would call back htc, rma the phone, and see what they have to say about it. But that is what I would do and be as nice as I possibly could be.

Upvote 0
All of this over a phone.
Wow.
Ok.
First, if you are with verzion now, why are you bothering dealing with sprint? What is the point, lesson learned, unless none of this is true and you are just trolling. Next, did you go back the store with the manager there?
Next, why not just rma it to htc and be done with it?

You see, you are pounding sand, and making a drama show out of it. To be honest with you, it could have happen the way you said, but you are willing to let them play keep away with you. Just seems unreasonable to me.

If I walked into the store and had that happen to me. I would simply as to speak to the manager. If he was not available, I would ask for his number. Then I would, from the store call sprint services, tell them the story, have them talk to the tech guys. If that did not work, I would ask for photos of the damage, which they have to produce, and call the store manager from store, I would also have them produce the customer service for htc and call them from the store. I would not leave with out them producing pictures of the water damage, even if they cleaned it up. After I spoke to customer service over the phone, htc customer service over the phone, had photos taken of the water damage, written report of the damage to the phone, signed by both the tech and the manager, would I leave the store. Then I would take it to another service store, ask them to check it out. Producing all the above articles, if they back up the claim of the first people, then ask them for pictures of the damages, tell them it is for your lawyers. Lastly, I would call back htc, rma the phone, and see what they have to say about it. But that is what I would do and be as nice as I possibly could be.

Thanks for insinuating that I am a troll....

I did ask for photos, I did ask for the video... Have you even read this thread???

Why fight with Sprint? Because they started this, not I... I am the type of person where if I screw up I take my medicine and move along but if I am in the right, I will fight till there is nothing left to fight...

I had a Sprint tech get in my face yelling and screaming at me... You'd just let this go???

If you got defrauded out of a $500 phone, you'd just let it go?

Again... I did ask for the store manager, I did ask for videos, I did ask for photos, and I did ask to be shown the water damage..... ALL WERE DENIED

Upvote 0
Here is an email I got today after being sent to the wrong store...

Thank you for speaking with me today. I do apologize for for providing
the incorrect address of the Sprint certified repair center in Lawrence,
KS. I have provided you with the correct address of:

2108 W 27th St
Lawrence, KS 66047
(785) 843-2701

I will follow up with you once I have received a call from the store
manager or technician regarding your situation. You can expect a
follow-up call by no later than 6 PM EST Monday, October 25th.

If you have any further questions or concerns, you may contact me on my
desk phone at 000-000-0000. My office hours are Monday-Friday from 9 AM
to 6 PM EST. Thank you for contacting Sprint and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Daniel R.
000-000-0000
Sprint

I went to the correct store and had the phone inspected by Sprint Tech, Sheena... She noted NO water damage whatsoever and that the phone is in mint condition....

We shall see what Sprints response to this is....

Upvote 0
Yikes, that sucks dude!!! :(

Yes it does... I would have much rather got the phone repaired or replaced and everyone went on about their day....

I didn't ask for all this and I knew posting here would get me called names, put down, doubted, and called a troll....

That's the reason I have tried to keep this as transparent as possible... I have nothing to hide and while some may think my story is hard to believe, it did happen...

I have asked the person I am speaking with now to get the tape, check the transaction records for the time frame this all happened in... It won't be hard to see what customers were in the store at the time, contact them, and ask what happened...

The phone has no water damage as was confirmed today by a different Sprint repair center... The lies, coverups, and the way I was treated is pathetic...

Not to mention the flat out fraudulent notes put on my account by this out of control Sprint store... I was left with a $500 paperweight, I had a Sprint tech in my face yelling at me, I had a bogus note placed on my account, and when investigated, the lies and coverups began...

It may be hard to believe, but it happened... All I want from Sprint now is to waive my ETF's and it looks like that will be what comes of this...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones