• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stock UI or did you change it?

Open Home keeps 'sticking' and making it so I can't access my old home screens. I know I know, "why would I want to do that?" but occasionally I need to go back (Like this morning when I found out that Open Home uses portrait cropping of backgrounds instead of landscape)

Pretty annoying.

Upvote 0
Hi, I just installed PandaHome. Its looks great,lots of themes and you can add many side scrolling screens, i'm up to eight so far.
Welcome to AF.

Eight homescreens? I have seven with Open Home and Im actually considering dropping to 5 for awhile since I have not yet put anything on 2 of them and one of the screens is a full page calendar.

Upvote 0
While you're comparing, why don't you show us screen shots of your various home screens and how you customized your Touch to fit your personal needs?
It's a fine comparison. The iPhone and iPod Touch are nearly exactly alike.

GDE Home is another app that's getting a lot of press too. Here's the thread on it at xda developers.

Upvote 0
i like the panda home setup as it gives the option to remove fonts from icons because for some reason i cant get any font packs to work with openhome. but thats about all i like about it. the little screen dots at the bottom bug me and i cant use the icons from one theme in the other ones without manually changing one at a time and then it only works if you have the icon image saved on your sd. i uninstalled it after getting the wallpapers. but it's a good option to know about.

Upvote 0
I'd check out calwidget (free) or pure calendar ( couple bucks). Both go up to 4x4 if not larger. That's essentially full screen width with two rows of icons vertically. Might go larger, but I haven't looked. I use it on my home screen with the basic things I need most (pim info, email, sms). Never understood the 'looking cool' home screen, but that's the personal side of the ability to customize. Pure calendar is more functional with choice of info shown, color bars and such. Calwidget looks similar but not as much customization. If I would've seen calwidget before, I would have used it first to see if it did the trick before paying for Pure.

Is that a stock widget? Or something extra from the market? I want a full page calendar on one page but I can't the stock option on my phone.

I'm using Panda. Seems quick and basic. The little dots bug me just a little. Wish you could manually pick which screen is home (to keep it centered, but I think you just neeed to be sure you add screens equally in both directions.

} just really want the Sense bottom row of soft buttons and visual bookmarks. Those with Panda, and I'd be happy. Seems like the guy is on top of updating panda too. Would donate after another update or two to see how it evolves.

Upvote 0
I'd check out calwidget (free) or pure calendar ( couple bucks). Both go up to 4x4 if not larger. That's essentially full screen width with two rows of icons vertically. Might go larger, but I haven't looked. I use it on my home screen with the basic things I need most (pim info, email, sms). Never understood the 'looking cool' home screen, but that's the personal side of the ability to customize. Pure calendar is more functional with choice of info shown, color bars and such. Calwidget looks similar but not as much customization. If I would've seen calwidget before, I would have used it first to see if it did the trick before paying for Pure.
Thanks for your help!
But I just tried calwidget and all it can do is tell me what I have scheduled. It does not have an option to display like a calendar. It also was displaying a scheduled event from last Friday (the 6th of Nov) as if it were today. So I restarted it, and then it was convinced that today is December 4th. I have an event scheduled for the 4th, and I assume calwidget took that to mean that today is the 4th.
Anyways, even if it didn't have the date problems, I still don't like it because it doesn't show a calendar. It only shows scheduled events.

I might try pure calendar, but I would like to see if there is anything else that would work before I pay $.

Upvote 0
Ive mentioned it numerous times that Ive been running a similar look of Sense UI using Open Home. Has anyone else changed the look of the Standard UI? If you did, lets see it. Heres mine.

screenshot1257398082683.png

Where did you get the background? I installed Open home with the HTC hero theme and it's green and no alien face.

Upvote 0
Is the ICON and Font Management. I kind of wish each icon and desc had to fit in a square the was black for better management and uniformity. The screens can get looking ugly...thus I use more screens (in Open Home) and less icons per screen.

Can anyone tell me how to better manage icons and their descriptions in Android? Can I change the icon of a bookmark that I've saved to the homescreen? How about changing the font of an app or folder????

This I would like to play around with!n I am not yet understanding the icon packs and font packs. They don't seem to be making a difference.

(ps...screen shot coming)

Upvote 0
masbirdies I actually have everything I need on my Home Screen.

Camera Folder with the camera, camcorder, gallery and picsay (xbox icon)

Navigation Folder with sprint nav, google maps and jogger (xbox icon)

Fun Folder with sprint tv, tv.com and youtube (xbox icon)

Music Folder with shazam, amazon mp3, music app and pandora (itunes icon)

I also have a few apps on there too, dolphin browser, email, handcent and market. Everything fits fine with the large Hero Calendar/Clock.

My right screen I just have google search because I like the streamlined look similar to google's search page and the left screen I have the quick settings app that came with Open Home.

I prefer doing it this way opposed to having 5-7 screens. I had a lot of screens on my iphone and I remember wishing there were folders to store apps.

Upvote 0
Is the ICON and Font Management. I kind of wish each icon and desc had to fit in a square the was black for better management and uniformity. The screens can get looking ugly...thus I use more screens (in Open Home) and less icons per screen.

Can anyone tell me how to better manage icons and their descriptions in Android? Can I change the icon of a bookmark that I've saved to the homescreen? How about changing the font of an app or folder????

This I would like to play around with!n I am not yet understanding the icon packs and font packs. They don't seem to be making a difference.

(ps...screen shot coming)

i am with you on the fonts. although my problem is that i cant get any of them to work. every font pack i have tried force closes and never works. could be my mistake, but i am following all the directions given, they just dont work for me. panda home did let me change them, but it slowed my phone down...ALOT.

Upvote 0
Where did you get the background? I installed Open home with the HTC hero theme and it's green and no alien face.
The alien was background I picked awhile back (when I first got my Hero) off g1wallz. The clock is from beautiful widgets. For the person that asked about the full page calendar, thats a paid app from Pure Grid Calendar Widget.

Upvote 0
Thanks Edaze! I have the clock widget just love that background and now must go find it. lol
I tried looking for it the other day and was quite surprised that not only could I NOT find the alien anymore, but it seems someone turned my old Hero lock screen (MF as Superwoman) into a background and slapped it up on g1Wallz.

Anyways. PM me your gmail and I'll send ya the background. It'll be easier this way. Trust me.

Upvote 0
This is the coolest screen I've seen, plus it is dignified enough for office use. Is it cool to copy? If so, can you tell us where you got the background? Is the clock from Beautiful Widgets? What else?
The bottom black launcher is from the Hero (or dark hero) theme from Open Home
The background is also from Open Home, I'm pretty sure it's the one from the Open Home default skin (I don't want to change mine to find out for sure:p)
And yes, the clock is from is from Beautiful Widgets.
and I believe he also has an icon pack implemented (the e-mail icon is different), though I have no idea which one it is.

Upvote 0
This is the coolest screen I've seen, plus it is dignified enough for office use. Is it cool to copy? If so, can you tell us where you got the background? Is the clock from Beautiful Widgets? What else?

thanks

of course it's cool to copy lol

Clock: Beautiful Widgets - Beautiful Home
Background: Open Home default
Skin: HTC Hero
Icon Pack: xbox 360

I applied the Open Home skin and then applied the Hero skin, it asks you if you want to keep the wallpaper and apply skin, so I said yes because the Open Home city background is my favorite. The camera, navigation, music and fun folder icons are xbox, the rest are Open Home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones